Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Taking the plunge into turbo! Few questions to confirm.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 09:25 AM
RedAltezza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the plunge into turbo! Few questions to confirm.

Hey guys. I have a few questions that I've been researching but need confirmation. I currently own a 2002 is300 5mt. I found an extremely good deal on an aristo 2jzgte vvti complete long block for 1200. I don't plan on going over 300whp as this is my daily. I already have my mr2 3sgte being prepped for 450-500 so building the ge is not in my interest.

Questions:
1. Can I reuse my ge wire harness?
2. Being a daily should not modify the twins wastgates for full on boost.
3. Being that I will be using my ge ecu would I be better off swapping in my ge injectors into the gte for starters so the engine won't run rich all the time until I get a piggy back to adjust. I will be running stock boost.
4. Will I be able to use my ge flywheel since I believe I will be swapping over my starter?
5. Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

Here's a current picture of my is so even if you don't have helpful tips you can check out my project progress. Thanks for viewing!

Old 03-28-13, 09:56 AM
AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can run the IS300 ecu and almost all of your harness will plug into the Aristo GTE, but you will need to run an aftermarket piggyback. You can also use the Aristo ECU and not have to run a piggyback. This will give you factory like performance which is what it seems you are wanting to obtain due to the 300 whp you want. You will need to either re-pin your existing harness or send it to Dr. Tweak to mesh them together for a true plug in play install.

If you are considering changing the sequential turbo to a true twin turbo setup, then do it when the engine is out of the car. It is much harder to do once the engine is installed.

You will still need the 440cc injectors from the Aristo to compensate for the boost. Dont swap in your factory IS300 injectors. They are too small.

You will still use your factory flywheel and W55 for the swap. You will only need an upgraded clutch to handle the power.

You can do a search for aristo swaps in the IS300 on this forum and on my.is. There is a ton of info and I belive there is an actual step by step document on my.is.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-13, 10:05 AM
RedAltezza
Driver School Candidate

Cool deal thanks az. Now what is the purpose of the piggy back requirement? What makes it not a true plug and play? I have done my fair share of wiring and repinning so I may plunge into it if at all possible. The aristo ecu I'm assuming would be automatic. I'd like to use the is ecu and possibly just make an injector correction using a piggy back as long as everything else plugs up.

Is true twin better or worse on a daily driven setup in terms of reliability?
Old 03-28-13, 01:36 PM
AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is some info on running the Aristo ECU. Again, I personally havent done an Aristo swap but was considering it at one time. There are issues with running the IS ECU sicne it was never inteded to see boost therefore a piggyback is required.

http://my.is/forums/f114/how-make-yo...owered-442176/

Here is a how to install an Aristo Motor and doing the true twin conversion.

http://my.is/forums/f114/aristo-2jz-...ap-doc-348449/
Old 03-29-13, 03:05 PM
nuturf87
Pole Position

RedAltezza whats going on? let me help you out a bit...... It would be best if you run an aristo GTE ecu with the swap. Harness plugs are compatible between GE and GTE , just that you would have to add the GTE portion to your GE harness, making wiring a bit easier. Also since you are looking more for a DD power level, the GTE ecu should run fine without any piggybacks and what not. w55 should be okay if you don't beat on it! Gl