Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS250 questions...boost or build...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 01:29 PM
cricket056
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 questions...boost or build...?

I'll be searching as well but figured I'd see if someone might be willing to give me a run down on the IS250. I had an IS300 a few years back and these were always a little bit outside my reach. Looking at a 2007 and I'm wondering what I can get into with it or is this one to just leave alone in terms of boost or build.

I remember from the IS300 platform that the N/A block could handle about 8-10psi max and it seemed to cost a lot to get there...Is this a popular mod for the 250 or are most just sticking with bolt on additons? How about tuning? My experience with boost comes from more open source applications. Is this the case with this platform? My experience with the IS300 was extremely positive. I only sold the car because I live in Michigan and could not tolerate having my toy put up for five months a year...

I've also seen one or two 2jzgte swaps on the 250 though. In this instance are they keeping the AWD set-up or possibly swapping the R154, etc? Is the 6MT strong enough to handle a turbo conversion?

Are there any major issues with these? I've read a little about a carbo build up issue for 06-09...is that a common issue you guys have seen?

Any help or links would be more than appreciated. I used to be part of my.is/ but that forum looks to have dropped off over the last few years and I'm just not seeing the information I'm looking for. I'm seeing a lot of guys just going for the IS350 but I like the 6MT if it would hold up.

Last edited by cricket056; 09-04-12 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 02:33 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a lot of people gonna jump on this thread and tell you to get the IS350 if you want fast.

only people that actually want the IS250 is becasue..
1) they dont need the power
2) they want to drive a stick because it is more fun to drive than an AT. (my reason)
3) they just want a 2IS for looks
4) they needed an AWD (IS350 didnt have AWD for a couple of years)

there are a few Superchargers you can get for the 2IS but they gonna cost you about $7,000 and will run about 5-7psi safely

the IS350 is pretty fast... it is faster than a lot of cars in it's class/price range (bone stock) it only really loses to them heavy modded cars.

BOTH models have the same mods available for bolt-on performance which are headers, intake, exhaust/midpipe, and S/C.

BTW it is harder to find the ML system on an IS250 compared to the IS350.

hope this helps you
Old 09-04-12, 04:51 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I bet if you drive a 250 and a 350 in the same day, you'd same F that manual trans! I'll take the 350. Honestly, there's a reason why the 350 owners say to get one. I come from a VERY long line of 5sp cars, some with more and less WHP. But the auto trans in the 350 is actually pretty quick and responsive.
Old 09-04-12, 05:13 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

To add on, 7k S/C with 7 PSI will only give you 50 hp at most or you can spend that extra 7k differential for an is350 for 100 HP more. Running consistent 13.7 on the quarter mile. Then if you want to go hard, buy the S/C for your is350 to spank some butts.
Old 09-04-12, 06:33 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

You'll find more answers to your questions on this forum by searching "turbo" in the 2nd Gen section. In the end I'll say get what better suites you but if you're looking for a build or fun project this really isn't the platform. Even if you dump tons of $ into forced induction upgrades there are still limits and many unknowns...speculations, opinions and equations are plentiful though.

PS: I can get you 7psi on either car for half of $7k. search my name for my experiments.
Old 09-05-12, 09:52 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

~$3500 gets you 102 more hp by buying a 350 instead f a 250.

Versus $3500-7000 to boost a 250 and only add 50 hp.

It literally makes no sense to ever boost a 250 in a country the 350 is sold in. There's no bolt ons that get you even what a stock 350 makes, there's no tuning available other than either $1000-1500 piggyback systems which are limited, or an $8000+ standalone system (which then leaves you limited by the high compression among other factors)

You won't get much past 7 psi without spending a lot more than the above amounts. At which point you'd be far better off just buying an IS-F (or a totally different car you can actually do anything to).

There's been one successful 2JZ swap into a 250 I know of in the US by the way.

The guy who did it, who does swaps for a living, quoted $30,000 for just the labor to do it again.

He's selling the whole car for $45,000 last I knew if you're really interested though.
Old 09-05-12, 10:59 AM
cricket056
Driver

I did see that for sale and I might actually have some interest if he had not done a silver automatic...

The reason for my interest in the the IS250 is to have AWD and 6MT. I've had an Bi-Turbo Audi S4 and currently have a Subaru and would like to stay with a modable and preferrably turbo charged platform...the IS250 just does not look like it can be what I had hoped.

I understand the logic in going with a 350 right out of the gate but it simply does not have what I'm looking for.
Living in Michigan it takes all the fun out of driving for half the year to deal with anything RWD IMO and I'll have a manual trans as long as my knees hold out. haha

Solid snow tires and traction control are beneficial but nowhere near as reassuring. I think I'd take summer tires in the snow on my Subaru over A/S tires on my IS300 I had years back.

Thanks for the info guys!! At this stage I'll just wait till I see the right car from Lexus again. I love they styling and miss the luxury.
Old 09-05-12, 02:13 PM
x2lacrosse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cricket056
The reason for my interest in the the IS250 is to have AWD and 6MT.
If that's your reasoning, then it won't work. Unless I'm way off, the AWD is auto only. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.....
Old 09-05-12, 03:37 PM
cricket056
Driver

Originally Posted by x2lacrosse
If that's your reasoning, then it won't work. Unless I'm way off, the AWD is auto only. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.....
Huh. I figured the trans was just an option with the 250. That alleviates my interest entirely... :/

I guess I'll look more seriously at Legacy GT Spec B's...
Old 09-06-12, 04:16 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by x2lacrosse
Nope, you are correct.... though unless you're going up a lot of steep hills, RWD with snow tires > than AWD with all-seasons or summers.

Tires>drivetrain for anything but climbing hills >10% grade.

(and manuals are objectively inferior relics of a bygone era, but that's a whole other topic )
Old 09-06-12, 06:30 PM
cricket056
Driver

^^Thanks for the info...

The manual trans is about the enjoyment of driving. I loved my Lexus but not enough to go back to RWD or Auto...
Old 11-11-12, 06:40 PM
JNW
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: IS250

^^Thanks for the info...

The manual trans is about the enjoyment of driving. I loved my Lexus but not enough to go back to RWD or Auto...
Why don't you trade in your Subaru for a WRX (5 speed transmission) or STI (6 speed transmission.
Old 11-13-12, 06:56 AM
cricket056
Driver

Originally Posted by JNW
Why don't you trade in your Subaru for a WRX (5 speed transmission) or STI (6 speed transmission.
I might have considered that option if there was a possibility of bring the 250 up to par with an STI. I currently have a Stage 3 WRX and though I love the car it lacks the luxury that I miss from my IS300. I was simply weighing options but it appears this would be too costly to make what I want it to be. I may come back to Lexus down the road but at the moment I'm a bit addicted to boost.
Old 11-21-12, 07:51 PM
JNW
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: IS250

I might have considered that option if there was a possibility of bring the 250 up to par with an STI. I currently have a Stage 3 WRX and though I love the car it lacks the luxury that I miss from my IS300. I was simply weighing options but it appears this would be too costly to make what I want it to be. I may come back to Lexus down the road but at the moment I'm a bit addicted to boost.
Have you considered the G37?
Old 11-22-12, 07:21 AM
cricket056
Driver

Originally Posted by JNW
Have you considered the G37?
I like the look of the G37 but it would have to be AWD for me and thus far theG37x is only a seven speed automatic. Very hard to find a 5MT or 6MT in AWD and preferably turbo...at least in my price range...Subaru and Audi...had an S4 for about 6 months before selling it to buy my WRX.

Quick Reply: IS250 questions...boost or build...?