Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Testing: Cold Air Intake design, not a short ram hot air or enclosed filter setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 07:24 AM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

dont mean to hi jack but this works well also. Direct air from the outside..
Old 09-13-12, 07:29 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by badx33
dont mean to hi jack but this works well also. Direct air from the outside..[IMG][/IMG]
By all means, share! Not much else going on in this section aside from the usual nothing!

Is that your setup? Post details and pics! Have you done anything to cool IATs after heatsoak? This is my main priority of concern and next objective to tackle. Got another Meth/Water setup ready to install and looking at Cry02.
Old 09-13-12, 07:39 AM
badx33
Pole Position

I took apart the actual intake mainfold and covered the bottom with the gold looking heat shield film. ( I forgot the name of the company) but it has a sticky back so you can bascially put it on anything. I also covered the bottom part of the intake tube. That really helps, ive noticed the intake tube does not get super hot anymore. I also plan on getting the headers coated with a heat wrap. They claim to lower the temp in the egine bay and make power.
Old 09-13-12, 07:44 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Do you have any more pics? Looks great!
Old 09-15-12, 04:27 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Had some time to do a 3.25" inner diameter mock up CAI. I'm pleased with how it's going to turn out!! Super straight and beefy as hell, it looks mean in person! Just have to get the injector nozzle bung, hose and MAF flanges welded up. Check it out so far:

Old 09-15-12, 04:40 PM
es808
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Mike! I like the look and the idea. Let us know if you have any improvement from the 3.25" piping.

You have a pipe bender in your garage? If so, that's sick! We don't even have that at work (in our machine shop). If we did, I'd be bending everything!

You should consider offering this for sale....
Old 09-18-12, 06:53 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Nice welds on the 6061 aluminum piping, just need to polish and get a finished look....that will be way later.
So, this is looking really promising with a few tweaks remaining. I shortened the overall length a few inches from the previous 3" setup I was running. As a result I want to kick the end of the piping in the fender out about 10 more degrees to give the air filter a bit more breathing room. Additionally, I want a straighter flange alignment with the piping where it meets the throttle body. I have a "hump" hose on its way as I dont want to add another 1" of piping or try and bend that close to the TB entrance.

The car drives fanf*c%ingtastic in my opinion! I truly dont have a biased opinion coming from the S/C setup but this car actually still feels quick with just a huge intake. Call me crazy but I'm more then pleased with my findings and how the car responds and feels. I'm going to have to dyno but no firm plans just yet.

ES808- I only have a 16ton pipe bender. Its nothing fancy and very tedious but gets the job done. I bought it from a local exhaust shop that closed its doors years ago. It bends aluminum just like a mandrel bender....Steel it crimps like a crushed bend so I dont use it much for anything too heavy duty.

I'd consider a go to market with a real "CAI" but the bill of materials is adding up quickly. I'm not sure how worth it to anyone this would be esp. having to cut sheet metal to utilize the setup.

Old 09-18-12, 07:29 AM
badx33
Pole Position

thats looking really good Mike. I might have to work with you on something for my car..
Old 09-18-12, 07:34 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is BEAUTIFULLLLLLLL

Now Lexus needs to make these cars CAI compatible and you will become the next Joe Z

Old 09-26-12, 10:43 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Present day - Using a "hump" hose into the TB for better fitment. Been running great for the last week and still feels strong in my opinion. I'm making some plans to do dyno comparisons and ultimately use water/meth. I hope to have updates soon!
Old 09-27-12, 09:53 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff in here.
Old 09-27-12, 10:09 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get some A/F readings on the larger pipe. I'd like to see how the ecu computes it with the larger diameter.

Last edited by SouthernSS; 09-27-12 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-27-12, 10:48 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by SouthernSS
get some A/F readings on the larger pipe. I'd like to see how the engine computes it with the larger diameter.
I will soon. My old tuning laptop died so I have to move all my software over to another laptop now.
Old 09-27-12, 05:52 PM
es808
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

That 16 ton bender does a great job with the aluminum tubing. It looks just like a mandrel bender did it. And the welds look good too.

Let us know how the GForce module works too. I'm curious to find out if it works. But like you, I have my doubts as well. $65 for extra hp/gas mileage? I highly doubt it.
Old 09-28-12, 04:16 PM
cbishop11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only things I would be concerned about would be if intake temps are worse than with the stock setup. I know you said you felt the pipe after driving, but this is most likely because the intake air is cooling the pipe as it travels to the throttle body. That is a long stretch of pipe over the engine, and it is surely picking up some heat. I'd be interested in a IAT comparison between this and the stock setup. Also, I'd look into trying a version that is ceramic coated or JetHot coated. That would go a long way to thermally insulate it.

Additionally I'd be concerned about water ingestion like others have mentioned. Might be worth its weight in gold to develop a splash guard for the filter element.

Quick Reply: Testing: Cold Air Intake design, not a short ram hot air or enclosed filter setup