Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Code P0430 Catalytic Converter Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 04:52 PM
leoferus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That and what flowrider said...
Old 01-04-18, 11:52 AM
Ststrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leoferus
If I was your technician I would have asked you to sit down to chat about what lead to the demise of the engine you wanted to replace. Without this information we would be skipping a very important part of the repair process. Then, I'd perform a health check with a Techstream. After that, I'd check your catalytic converter by performing an active test with which I'd force your fuel trim to go rich/lean and check to see how the sensors are reading those conditions.

If there's an obvious exhaust leak, well, I'd investigate it. Think about it for a minute.... where does an exhaust leak need to be to impact the oxygen charge enough that the sensors pick up the reading? Here's a hint, a muffler leak won't cause a P0420/P0430.

If I had to suspect the engine swap process I'd look for a large exhaust leak near the catalytic converter, sensors, etc. I'm speculating but speaking from experience, this seems like a classic case of a condition that existed prior to the last service performed that has manifested itself after service (service, in this case, being the engine swap). Refer to my opening sentence. I have enough experience to warn my customers that if they do not tell me the whole truth they can be looking at a lot more money being needed for repairs. If the head gasket failed, if bank one was dumping gas into the exhaust due to a stuck injector, leaking head gasket, cracked water jacket, etc, those could all cause the catalytic converter to fail.

Good luck.
A qualified, experienced, honest mechanic is almost impossible to find in my area or I wouldn't be on a forum researching this issue. This same Toyota dealer that swapped the engine told me my AC compressor had an internal short and needed replacing when in fact I found a wire they had pulled from the plug ( not saying it was intentional but diagnosis was definitely wrong.)

The previous engine was maintained and ran well until a check engine light came on with oil light and an internal eng noise. Car ran ok so I drove about 10 miles to a shop. the engine then had a louder noise from deep inside however oil was clean and full, no water or debris on stick.I might add the engine did shut off about 2 mi from the shop but started back up and drove on to the shop.The car was started two more times to load and unload from trailer to the Toyota dealer for engine swap.If a cat can clog in 10 mi then that very likely could be the culprit. Just wish I could trust the shop but it's difficult after the ac deal.