Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

aristo 2jzgte vvti stock intake manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 05:07 PM
ttran480
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aristo 2jzgte vvti stock intake manifold question

have anyone replace there aristo 2jzgte vvti stock intake manifold for aftermarket one and install a 90mm tb??? if so please let me know what i need. thx
Old 06-19-12, 06:07 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

You have to figure out how your gonna make it idle, since the vvti has idle control built into the throttle body. The non-vvti has a separate iacv that is usually mounted under the market intake so you don't see it but it is still there.

I think I saw adamgamez had a accufab tb on a vvti at one point, I could be wrong though, kind of a vauge memory.
Old 06-19-12, 06:29 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transmission will go into limp mode too. Unless you relocate and keep stock TB plugged in or swap to non vvti then you can't.

By the way, where in AZ are you?
Old 06-21-12, 11:09 AM
ttran480
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i live in mesa az, i guess nobody have done anything like this on there 2jzgte vvti yet..so i guess i'll be the first nut head to try it out.. lol i'll go ahead with my plan lol
Old 06-21-12, 04:02 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

You won't be the first to do this, there are dozens of VVTI's out there that I have seen with Accufab or Q45 tb swaps. Just NOT on THIS second gen GS forum. Bunches of Supra's and IS's have done it, and like Mex Lex said if they are not running standalones they are keeping the sensors and tb plugged up so the ecu will stay running and out of limp mode.

You don't give enough information for any real answers, like what ecu are you using? Aristo, GE/GS, standalone??? If your standalone then just put a non-vvti iacv on it, throw away all that sensor/motor/tb stuff, tune it, and drive it.

Otherwise what is your reasoning for doing the swap (other than to just do it), since the stock plenum or tb is not a restriction until you get over 8-900whp, anything below that and it does the job just fine and the time/money would benefit hp much more spent on other upgrades.

If it's cause you want to ditch the drive by wire throttle motor setup, this can be done with the stock plenum and tb by converting the internal to cable only. This has been done many times too, and I think Bippu147 here on this forum has done this before as well. Although you will fight the same sensor issues if your not running a standalone.

Swapping plenums/manifold is no biggie if keeping the stock tb, just cut/weld/tap/fit whatever you need to physically make it work and drive.
Old 06-22-12, 02:00 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

99GS 3 hit the nail on the head. It's not a bottle neck until really HP level where the ECU has generally been long since a hold up. Therefore, those that have swapped are generally on a different form of ECU where it's not a problem.

On that note, not sure which standalone Adam is on at the moment, I believe he went Haltech for a short period and then switched to AEM V2?