Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HKS Silencer !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-02, 11:19 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HKS Silencer !!!

Okay, I have been researching on here and other sites for an exhaust for about 2 months now. I listened to a few sound clips of different type of exhaust and the HKS hipers seems to be the best IMO in terms of deepness. Now I came down to 3 exhausts that I feel may suit my taste, though all of them has 1 or 2 flaws to go along with it.

1) Borla - has great price, fits bumper really well but from what I read the hanger system sucks plus people are reporting that droning is a problem too now.

2) RMM Exhaust - deep tone (not as deep as HKS), has NO drone and VERY quiet at idle and cruising. I happened to sit in a GS4 with RMM exhaust and loved it. Though, for me the exhaust tips do stick out farther and the style of the exhaust tips isn't my favorite.

3) HKS HIPER EXHAUST - nice DEEP tone and from what I have read there is no drone. I am not sure how the fitment is because I never saw it in real life. Also (a big plus), steve ganz is holding a group buy for this exhaust for $515 which I think is a very good price. Though from what people have said, this exhaust is categorized as a LOUD exhaust, same class as greddy in terms of loudness.

So my main question is if to me HKS is the best "sounding" exhaust with no drone but the only problem is loudness, so

HKS HIPERS + HKS SILENCER = Problem solved??

I saw on the HKS website that they made a silencer to go along with the hipers. Does anyone have that on here??? Figured if I put the silencer on would it be quiet as L-tuned, borla, rmm???

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 11-04-02, 12:00 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you hear this in person or just a sound clip? Exhaust sounds are effected by all kinds of variables. Where the mic was, the surrounding area of the car, in a garage? outside? over concrete or asphalt?
Old 11-04-02, 02:30 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could do what many of us are discussing, get the exhaust of choice and custom install your favorite tip. I'll be getting the RMM myself soon but I also don't care for the tips.
Old 11-06-02, 08:21 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Jbrady, yes I am aware that the sound clips won't be an accurate source of how the exhausts would sound in real life but thats pretty much the only thing I can count on since I don't know of anyone near me who has the HKS exhaust .

redgs4, I had that idea too of just getting rid of the tips and putting on the tips that I like but for me personally I don't want to alter the original design of the exhaust. Just say for whatever reason I want to sell the exhaust I would want to sell it originally. I am pretty sure if you alter anything on an aftermarket exhaust, the value goes down ALOT more.

Anyone have experience with the HKS silencer or shed some more light on it????? On their website they show no pic or any other info?!
Old 11-07-02, 03:54 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, depending on the tips you use it may not devalue the system much. Also, keep the original tips and you could include that if you sold it and the person would get 2 choices. Value is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-10-02, 10:25 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by redgs4
Or you could do what many of us are discussing, get the exhaust of choice and custom install your favorite tip. I'll be getting the RMM myself soon but I also don't care for the tips.
Redgs4, if you don't mind, do you know the best place to get the RMM exhaust?? I don't feel like paying RETAIL .
Old 11-10-02, 03:14 PM
JWgs430
Rookie

i just picked up the hks exhaust from steve and put it on my gs430. it's kinda loud under 3K rpm, so i just ordered some silencers for it. they should be in on soon. i will let you know how they work.
Old 11-11-02, 12:15 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JWgs430
i just picked up the hks exhaust from steve and put it on my gs430. it's kinda loud under 3K rpm, so i just ordered some silencers for it. they should be in on soon. i will let you know how they work.

Thanks man ! This is the kind of info that I have been looking for, keep me updated! So far any sort of droning/resonance problems? Is the sound fairly accurate on the HKS website?

TIA.
Old 11-13-02, 02:34 AM
JWgs430
Rookie

i just put the silencers on and they quiet down the exhaust pretty well. i have only heard the rmm exhaust from the outside and they sound pretty similar, although it was a while ago that i heard the rmm. without the silencers, the hks is pretty loud during normal driving, until you hit the higher cruising speed 50mph+. with the silencers on, the louder exhaust sounds from the lower rpm range is reduced significantly. they claim 10%, but i think it's more.
Old 11-13-02, 09:30 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

i just put the silencers on and they quiet down the exhaust pretty well. i have only heard the rmm exhaust from the outside and they sound pretty similar, although it was a while ago that i heard the rmm. without the silencers, the hks is pretty loud during normal driving, until you hit the higher cruising speed 50mph+. with the silencers on, the louder exhaust sounds from the lower rpm range is reduced significantly. they claim 10%, but i think it's more.
Thats some great info man, thanks ! I wanted to go this route with hks and add the silencers but no one seemed to have this before you came along!

Also, most importantly, any annoying resonance/droning problems with these exhausts?

Thanks again !!
Old 11-14-02, 06:36 PM
LexFather

Awesome, any pics or any more feedback. I want to replace my Borla, possibly with this exhaust.
Old 11-14-02, 09:10 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

Awesome, any pics or any more feedback. I want to replace my Borla, possibly with this exhaust.
Hey 1SICKLEX, the borla's was my other option if the HKS turned out not the way I like it. Whats wrong with the borla's? Is it the droning problem? Please let me know all the cons about that muffler. Thanks man.
Old 11-15-02, 01:24 PM
LexFather

D63,

I like the drone, I love the sound. It's the ******* fit that is driving me crazy. It's not the exhaust, Lexus did not install right. One side is attached different to the other side. That and 1 side breaks hangers all the time.

HKS is a JDM item, It looked great in the pic Steve had.
Old 11-15-02, 02:19 PM
JWgs430
Rookie

just to let you guys know, the hks exhaust picture the steve put up is not the hiper exhaust. i think that is actually the turbo sport exhaust in the picture. the one for the group buy is the hiper, which is a dual canister design that is slighty angled outward with 120mm tips. i am not sure what is meant by the droning sound you guys are talking about, but if you let me know i will letyou know if there is droning. in will try to take some pics, but it may take a few days.
Old 11-18-02, 06:01 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

just to let you guys know, the hks exhaust picture the steve put up is not the hiper exhaust. i think that is actually the turbo sport exhaust in the picture. the one for the group buy is the hiper, which is a dual canister design that is slighty angled outward with 120mm tips. i am not sure what is meant by the droning sound you guys are talking about, but if you let me know i will letyou know if there is droning. in will try to take some pics, but it may take a few days.

Please do take some pics ! I am very interested in the HKS. Droning is like an annoying low tone experienced at around 1500-2000 rpm. Now I did some research and found out that HKS mufflers on some do have droning problems but it wasn't mentioned on the GS models. I have read that HKS mufflers for IS300 have droning problems.

TIA for the pics !

Quick Reply: HKS Silencer !!!