Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TorqueMaster plugs question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-02, 12:27 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Hey GS430lvr:

Installed the stock (dirty) OEM air filter this morning. Still had the stumble when the car is cold and if I do a quick/lightly step/release of the throttle the car would stumble. When the car warms up it does not happen either with K&N drop-in or stock.

One thing I notice after driving a few miles. The idle when in gear and not moving seems to have smoothen. Still some minute shake but not as much. After a few more miles and days I will report back.

Another thing is I notice there seem to be more lower end torque.

Confusing isn't it???

Chu...
Old 10-27-02, 03:41 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Okay now with a few more miles on the stock air filter the idle problem is still there. Therefore the problem is not quantity or quality of air affecting the air/fuel mixture. With the K&N filter removed earlier I decided to wash and reoil it. After 4,000 miles on the K&N I was amaze on the amount of dirt it filtered out. Did not see any black dirt on the MAF side of the filter. I tap the filter on the ground and out can black dust particles (alot of it along with one dead bee). After 24 hours after reoiling the filter I reinstall it back. The idle is the same. As a test I decided not to latch the air box and position the top of the air box with the MAF so that the intake takes none restricted air flow and the idle is the same.

My conclusion is that the TM plugs are the problem. Have not receive any response back from Suzie at TM even after LVangundy drop by their office last week. Will try to call them on Monday.

Chu...
Old 11-07-02, 01:22 AM
StylinGS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TM Plug

ChuH - Sorry to hear about the problem you're having with the TM plugs. I've installed TM plugs on me 02 GS300 for about 3 months now and I haven't have any problem with it. My idle is smoother and gas milage have improved. Hope you solve the problem. BTW, I had my uncle installed the TM for me.

Last edited by StylinGS300; 11-07-02 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-07-02, 01:51 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Hi StylinGS300:

I guess I am just too picky and my butt is too sensitive to the minor tremors. I spoke to one of the Lexus technician who installed the TM plugs for me. He informed me that the TM plugs may be design to be on the cooler operating range. The problems I am encountering are minor misfirings. As long as the Engine Light does not come on it is okay to continue using the TM Plugs. I was going to have them remove it earlier this week but decided to leave it alone for a couple of more months. Kind of hesitant to give up the torque increase (especially at mid range).

I wonder if it is because of the type of environment I am running my car. Because I am located in Guam (tropical island) where humidity are quite high (avg. 80% or higher), temp (high 70s to high 90s) and being located near sea level and near the equator may have something to do with it. Just a guess.

When my car was in service I had a RX300 as a loaner with 2000 miles on it and it idles worse than my GS430 with TM plugs. Guess I am spoiled with the glassy smooth idle I expected from Lexus V8 engine I had before the TM plugs.

For now TM plugs are staying in. Kind of disappointed that TM never return any more of my emails since first email. When I get the chance I will call them.

Chu...
Old 11-07-02, 11:13 AM
Lvangundy

Chu - You've basically said it in one sentence..

The skips are mild mis-fires!

That's exactly what mine does. If it's the TM plugs I'll be pretty diappointed. This also means that it mis-fires on acceleration, which probably kills power (HPand Tq.)

I'm interested in picking up stock denso plugs now to see how they run..

Oh, the staff over at TM, they are a little on the older side. Some odd characters there. Maybe they just forgot =)
Old 11-08-02, 09:57 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey make sure all the plugs look alike, I had a problem with the shipping and two of my plugs were not the same and it made my car act funny It also burned out my SRT ECU and had to get another one! I would just double check that! If you want to know more about what happen just PM me and I will get more into detail, but it was a simple mistake in their packaging