IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Poor idle after spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 08:09 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Poor idle after spark plug change

So I changed all the plugs to new OEM plugs about a month ago. After leaving the battery off for about 4 hours, once everything was buttoned back up, the car would idle very low at about 350 rpm, almost stalling. This went on for a few days until the car relearned itself. I've pulled the battery before and this never happened. Everything went back to normal after driving the car for a few days. Anyone know why this would happen? It was a little scary at first lol.
Old 09-25-17, 08:42 AM
KraziAzn
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Where did you buy your spark plugs at?
Old 09-25-17, 08:44 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by KraziAzn
Where did you buy your spark plugs at?
From a user here on the classifieds. They are original Denso.
Old 09-25-17, 10:00 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

I'm not saying this happened to you, but buying new spark plugs from a user here sounds a little suspicious. I encouraged some forum members to buy OEM Denso Spark Plugs from a seller (WellJob) on eBay. The plugs turned out to be counterfeit. I am ashamed of myself for giving this bad advice. The phony plugs were done up very well and fooled the heck out of me. It wasn't until some months later when I checked them against the real thing did I realize what I had done. My knock off plugs are sitting in my tool chest in the garage.

MORAL - DON'T EVER BUY SPARK PLUGS FROM A SELLER IN CHINA OR FROM EBAY - NEVER!!!!!!!!

Lou
Old 09-25-17, 10:08 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I'm not saying this happened to you, but buying new spark plugs from a user here sounds a little suspicious. I encouraged some forum members to buy OEM Denso Spark Plugs from a seller (WellJob) on eBay. The plugs turned out to be counterfeit. I am ashamed of myself for giving this bad advice. The phony plugs were done up very well and fooled the heck out of me. It wasn't until some months later when I checked them against the real thing did I realize what I had done. My knock off plugs are sitting in my tool chest in the garage.

MORAL - DON'T EVER BUY SPARK PLUGS FROM A SELLER IN CHINA OR FROM EBAY - NEVER!!!!!!!!

Lou
Wow.. would love to see pics of difference!
Old 09-25-17, 10:10 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

I've seen those pics in the original thread.
Old 09-25-17, 10:15 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

^^^^

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...008-isf-5.html

Lou
Old 09-25-17, 10:36 AM
KraziAzn
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
From a user here on the classifieds. They are original Denso.
Originally Posted by flowrider

Lou
There is a good chance the plugs are counterfeit if that is the case. Take into a shop and have them take a look at it.
Old 09-25-17, 11:38 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

This is what the spark plug looked like that I put in there. Identical to the ones taken out as far as I could tell.
Old 09-25-17, 12:59 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

If the plugs were fake then the condition wouldn't have likely resolved by itself. Odd that it resolved itself over time, normally if people have difficulties with idle right after a spark plug change it's putting the wrong lead on the wrong plug, but again that wouldn't have resolved.
Old 09-25-17, 01:13 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by ultimase
If the plugs were fake then the condition wouldn't have likely resolved by itself. Odd that it resolved itself over time, normally if people have difficulties with idle right after a spark plug change it's putting the wrong lead on the wrong plug, but again that wouldn't have resolved.
Yea the car drives like a dream, idle is much smoother than before. I am going to try to get a virtual dyno to see if there was any power gain vs the old dirty plugs.
Old 09-25-17, 01:27 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Could it be a gap issue?
Old 09-25-17, 01:53 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Could it be a gap issue?
gap doesn't close after use, gap typically opens up as they wear.
Old 09-27-17, 12:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
So I changed all the plugs to new OEM plugs about a month ago. After leaving the battery off for about 4 hours, once everything was buttoned back up, the car would idle very low at about 350 rpm, almost stalling. This went on for a few days until the car relearned itself. I've pulled the battery before and this never happened. Everything went back to normal after driving the car for a few days. Anyone know why this would happen? It was a little scary at first lol.
It's a lot scary. Something is still wrong even if the ECM adjusted for it. Idle should never be below 600 rpm under any condition with everything working correctly, even if you disconnected the battery for a month.

Find someone with Techstream and do a health check on the computers to see if there are any DTCs pending or present. From your initial comment, it sounded like the fuel lines were hooked up backward (AMHIK), but that situation absolutely does not resolve itself, and the car can't be driven in that state.
Old 09-27-17, 12:15 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's a lot scary. Something is still wrong even if the ECM adjusted for it. Idle should never be below 600 rpm under any condition with everything working correctly, even if you disconnected the battery for a month.

Find someone with Techstream and do a health check on the computers to see if there are any DTCs pending or present. From your initial comment, it sounded like the fuel lines were hooked up backward (AMHIK), but that situation absolutely does not resolve itself, and the car can't be driven in that state.
I have techstream and will do the health check here soon. I didn't touch the fuel lines at all but it did sound like it wasn't getting enough air or fuel pressure. I do have an afe dry filter installed and aftermarket intake elbow. The only thing that I touched was the fuel resister that I had to unbolt and also the brake booster vac line. I think the check valve is going bad because I have a stiff pedal in the mornings and when trying to start the car after it has been sitting for a while.

Quick Reply: Poor idle after spark plug change