Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE Headers help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 01:33 AM
MrPhung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPE Headers help.

Okay,so I've been reading around,and noticed that some people have CEL or VSC problems when installing these headers.So,I was wondering what do I need to buy/do to keep that from happening.Like,do I need to buy the O2 sensor extension or the high-flow cats?
Old 08-08-11, 01:50 AM
furryjet
Pole Position

I believe they have came up with a new defouler, not sure if you need to buy it seperately or not though. Ask Paul @ PPE, nice guy and very helpful
Old 08-08-11, 02:00 AM
MrPhung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by furryjet
I believe they have came up with a new defouler, not sure if you need to buy it seperately or not though. Ask Paul @ PPE, nice guy and very helpful
Alright,thank you!

I really want to get these headers with the other parts I plan to get,but not if it causes too much trouble.
Old 08-08-11, 06:27 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The original PPE headers came with an O2 extension that cleared the CEL for most people (including myself). The extender has taken different shapes (L-shaped, curved, diagonal) through the product lifecycle. In order to use the extenders, you had to seal your original O2 bung on your midpipe, drill a hole, and weld the new extender on.

The latest/greatest PPE method to clear the CEL is an O2 Simulator. This method requires no drilling or welding of the midpipe, so it's cheaper to deploy. I haven't heard of any issues with this workaround yet.
Old 08-08-11, 09:32 AM
MrPhung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by montgb
The original PPE headers came with an O2 extension that cleared the CEL for most people (including myself). The extender has taken different shapes (L-shaped, curved, diagonal) through the product lifecycle. In order to use the extenders, you had to seal your original O2 bung on your midpipe, drill a hole, and weld the new extender on.

The latest/greatest PPE method to clear the CEL is an O2 Simulator. This method requires no drilling or welding of the midpipe, so it's cheaper to deploy. I haven't heard of any issues with this workaround yet.
Is there any recommended O2 simulator?Or are they all the same concept?

Also,will I need to get high-flow cats?
Old 08-08-11, 10:28 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Simulator are for thos who arent running the HFC.
Old 08-08-11, 10:31 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Another PPE header lolz, welcome aboard to the club
Old 08-08-11, 11:48 AM
mkhaira
Rookie

Hi.
im new to the site and new lexus owner (had a supra before). how much difference in performance or in sound am i looking at if i install ppe header (woohoo) and JoeZ intake?
Old 08-08-11, 03:16 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

With stock exhaust not much sound. But you'll feel the gain in the midrange rpm. Worth the money.
Old 08-10-11, 05:26 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPhung
Is there any recommended O2 simulator?Or are they all the same concept?

Also,will I need to get high-flow cats?
Hi flow cats are unneccessary. Get them if you are concerned about passing emissions inspections in your state.
Old 08-10-11, 08:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
Hi flow cats are unneccessary. Get them if you are concerned about passing emissions inspections in your state.
I disagree, get them if your concerned about the environment. I have PPEs on my F and it would never pass visual inspection because the cats are not stock, but it will pass the sniffer Also, vehicles without cats tend to smell of unburned fuel.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails PPE Headers help.-cat2s.jpg  
Old 03-19-12, 12:58 PM
aly250
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So to pass emissions if you get ppe headers, you have to get hfc's?
Old 03-19-12, 01:39 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

I've got PPE Headers with the o2 simulator hooked up correctly (verified by PPE via photos) and my CEL still comes! Welcome to hell =P!
Old 03-19-12, 03:08 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoac
I've got PPE Headers with the o2 simulator hooked up correctly (verified by PPE via photos) and my CEL still comes! Welcome to hell =P!
How many miles have you been running the headers? I know I told you about it, but might as well post it up too, but it took about 1,000 miles before my CEL turned off. Maybe just give it time? I know my shopnreset the ecu once and it turned the CEL off for a whopping 10miles then a few tanks of gas later it's finally off. Im using O2 simulators from PPE and I also have PPE high flow cats welded into my JoeZ race exhaust
Old 03-19-12, 05:33 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

^ I've got about 4-5000 miles on mine. Biggest difference between our 2 setups is the HFC's i'm running with out them. Code i'm getting is P0159 which is bank 2 sensor 2 slow response time. I've read a couple of places that the power wire for the o2 sim in the instructions is alitle misleading and it may be hooked into the wrong power source, but PPE said if that was the case I would be getting 2 error codes, one for each o2 sensor (bank 2 sensor 1 & 2) so its like only half of my o2 sim is working. My mechanic has given up on me too =(

Quick Reply: PPE Headers help.