Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone here with an Invidia Midpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 11:29 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
I'm installing the pipe when I wake up tomorrow at like 10. My plan is to remove the two braces underneath, remove the back two bolts, then the front four, have the pipe on the floor and remove the O2 sensors and reverse the process. Does this sound about right? Also, what do you people mean by "doing it right", I won't get a CEL?
I did it in reverse order, most difficult first.

I don't think the CEL will even come on if you leave the entire midpipe off lol.
Old 07-26-11, 12:12 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures as promised and a half-arsed DIY:

O2 sensor wrench rented from AutoZone for free (with deposit)

You'll need breaker bar or wrench to stick it in the hole.

O2 sensors (notice the star shaped hole thing on the socket)

By far, the most difficult part is getting these darn bolts off. This is where the impact gun will save you much frustration and cursing.

It helps if you have a jack to hold it up to connect the pipes

These are the gasket things

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 07-26-11, 01:09 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalDon
Pictures as promised and a half-arsed DIY:

O2 sensor wrench rented from AutoZone for free (with deposit)

You'll need breaker bar or wrench to stick it in the hole.

O2 sensors (notice the star shaped hole thing on the socket)

By far, the most difficult part is getting these darn bolts off. This is where the impact gun will save you much frustration and cursing.

It helps if you have a jack to hold it up to connect the pipes

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Thanks a whole lot for posting the pics! It does help. Just one last question, what size drive you do you use for the O2 socket?
Old 07-26-11, 06:17 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helpful pics. You can pre-soak with flange bolts and O2 sensors with WD-40 before removing them. Very important to keep the O2 sensors clean also.
Old 07-26-11, 07:08 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I attempted it today, but didn't finish yet. I got the help of a friend and got the two bars off, the rear two bolts, but stopped right there. I had to start the car and drive up ramps to access the front four bolts and boy did it sound loud without being connected to the axle-back! Problem is the front four bolts are extremely tight and I have no room to turn my breaker bar. I'm waiting until Thursday to finish the install and to use the A/C Refresher Kit from Sewell when it arrives since the front is lifted already.
Old 07-09-12, 12:41 AM
Antihero
Driver

What are these called? bought a used mid pipe for fellow club member and want to replace/ get new ones.
Old 07-10-12, 05:22 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Arent they just called gaskets? ^
Old 08-07-12, 08:46 PM
aznoutkast
Driver

just tried this diy...motha effin pain!!! the o2 sensors seems to not want to come off!! so i stopped b4 stripping the sensor was involved..hope its not to late. any suggestions??
Old 08-07-12, 09:27 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aznoutkast
just tried this diy...motha effin pain!!! the o2 sensors seems to not want to come off!! so i stopped b4 stripping the sensor was involved..hope its not to late. any suggestions??
I personally cut those stupid shields off the O2 sensors and it make taking them off much easier. No problems running without the shields either. I did mine on a hoist so it wasn't hard at all, took like 30 mins tops.
Old 08-07-12, 09:55 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a shop remove my mid pipe and they actually cut off the shields too.
Old 08-07-12, 09:57 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

there's a special socket used to remove the O2 sensors. you should be able to rent this O2 sensor socket from your local auto parts store.

cutting the shields is an alternative, but not necessarily the right way...
Old 08-09-12, 11:06 PM
umcanes123
Driver School Candidate

This thread is a great help. Going to order the invidia soon and have this thread open during my install. Thanks Don!!
Old 08-10-12, 08:51 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If possible, try to do the work while your car is on a lift. I did mine in a 1 foot deep pit and it sucked.
Old 08-11-12, 03:07 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do all my work laying on the the floor of my garage. Sucks for sure! As for stuck bolts, PB Blaster is your friend! Way better than WD40 or Liquid Wrench. Anytime I tackle an under car project, I spray all of the bolts the night before if I can. At least spray them and then find yourself something to do for half an hour. It helps a LOT, and yes, my flange bolts were wicked tight too.

Not to change the subject, but has anyone with Invidia mid pipes had an issue down the road with the pipes rattling on the cross braces occasionally? I swear I have been hearing what sounds like this for the last week. If I hit a dip in the road or a bump, I get a couple of clangs..... Can't imagine what else it could be and my pipes look and feel to only be about 1/4" above the cross braces anyway...
Old 09-30-12, 09:40 AM
CapitalisT
Driver

Originally Posted by Slammer1
I do all my work laying on the the floor of my garage. Sucks for sure! As for stuck bolts, PB Blaster is your friend! Way better than WD40 or Liquid Wrench. Anytime I tackle an under car project, I spray all of the bolts the night before if I can. At least spray them and then find yourself something to do for half an hour. It helps a LOT, and yes, my flange bolts were wicked tight too.

Not to change the subject, but has anyone with Invidia mid pipes had an issue down the road with the pipes rattling on the cross braces occasionally? I swear I have been hearing what sounds like this for the last week. If I hit a dip in the road or a bump, I get a couple of clangs..... Can't imagine what else it could be and my pipes look and feel to only be about 1/4" above the cross braces anyway...
I have the same issue. It is due to the clearance with the mid pipe on the cross brace. I plan to order new exhaust hangers and that should help. I don't get the noise often but when I do it is definetly noticable.

Quick Reply: Anyone here with an Invidia Midpipe?