Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 06:55 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Long tube headers

Is there anyone that makes these for the GS430? I assume the headers are the same from the GS400 and GS430 but I haven't looked to confirm part numbers yet.

I see that S&S closed up so did PPE ever come out for the 2gen GS? Looking to find someone that offers these for the GS430. Please post back if your aware of any places I may check. Need these for part of a project Im going to be trying out.

Thank you
Old 09-25-10, 06:26 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

y wouldnt u just post this in this thread instead of starting another thread?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...headers-3.html
Old 09-25-10, 07:27 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well...mr moderator Sakataj, his question was for LONG TUBE headers...S&S are not considered long tube.
Old 09-26-10, 06:34 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yes I have searched this section and already read about S&S....that does me not good. I got this thread when I used the search....If it helped I would not have posted

and yes I am looking for Long Tube headers. So back on topic can anyone direct me to something positive here I checked Sikky and PPE and they do not offer for the GS at this time.
Old 09-26-10, 12:15 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

We are working on some right now. We are prototyping on an LS430 and will be test fitting on a GS400 after.

They are a 4-1 shorty, but longer than stock. In order to do a long tube header, you would have to remove the cats. We are thinking of offering high-flow cats as well as testpipes with the shorties.

I will update in a week or so when we are done and have some numbers.

Originally Posted by passnu2
Yes I have searched this section and already read about S&S....that does me not good. I got this thread when I used the search....If it helped I would not have posted

and yes I am looking for Long Tube headers. So back on topic can anyone direct me to something positive here I checked Sikky and PPE and they do not offer for the GS at this time.
Old 09-26-10, 01:32 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
We are working on some right now. We are prototyping on an LS430 and will be test fitting on a GS400 after.

They are a 4-1 shorty, but longer than stock. In order to do a long tube header, you would have to remove the cats. We are thinking of offering high-flow cats as well as testpipes with the shorties.

Soo excited! Keep us updated PPE!!!
Old 09-26-10, 07:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

will you offer the long tube similar to the ISx50? This is what I was hoping for Or is it possible to offer 2 versions of these. your shorty vs with cats and then a long tube vs with no cats
Old 09-27-10, 10:40 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
well...mr moderator Sakataj, his question was for LONG TUBE headers...S&S are not considered long tube.
oops....my bad OP and shut up thomas lol

whats the advantage of the long tube headers compared to the S&S headers?
Old 09-27-10, 07:34 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

it about time someone is doing headers for us again i was about to get tundra headers and just cut them to fit
Old 09-27-10, 08:24 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

We aren't planning on making a race only version as we don't see a sizable market for it. After we finish these, maybe we can do a custom header for you. We should be able to make it without you car here, just extend the tubes and move the collector down.

will you offer the long tube similar to the ISx50? This is what I was hoping for Or is it possible to offer 2 versions of these. your shorty vs with cats and then a long tube vs with no cats
Old 09-27-10, 08:47 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Default PPE header Pics

Here are some pictures of the driver side header.

Old 09-27-10, 10:11 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

PPE im so excited to see the progress on these coming along. The headers are looking great! Can't wait to buy a set. What are the chances of these cracking like S&S? They definately look much better build quality. What type of metal are these and what are our options as far as ceramic coatings and price? Im sure many people want too know.
Old 09-27-10, 11:41 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Group buy!!! LOL
Old 09-28-10, 07:07 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

We aren't planning on making a race only version as we don't see a sizable market for it. After we finish these, maybe we can do a custom header for you. We should be able to make it without you car here, just extend the tubes and move the collector down.
Sounds good
Old 09-28-10, 08:01 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I think this thread should be renamed "PPE prototype headers in the works"

It is exciting to see progress here as I get plenty of PMs asking about options now that S&S is gone.

Long tube headers are not practical for these applications and may not produce as desireable of a result that properly designed shorty's can.

It would be very cool to have some dyno testing AND road testing of this design over the S&S. I was curious as to why PPE did not simply build SOME S&S style parts since they now own the S&S jigs and certainly have the skills.

Possibly they did not want to work with the tri-y design, possibly they did not like the drivers side tube pairing, possibly they prefered to start fresh and not produce another companies design...

The reason for the S&S tri-y design was me. The reason for the 1.5" tubes was me. The reason for the 2.5" collectors was Loren (I wanted 2.25"). The reason for the drivers side "wrong" pairing was packaging and due to the fact that Loren only had heat shields to work with for fitment. From what I can see above it looks like PPE originaly intended to use the stock cats but fitment has lengthened the design and forced a change. Everything is a compromise.

Curiously the brand new extremely impressive Ford 5.0 32v Coyote engine making 411hp uses the "wrong" pairing as well. Yes they also changed firing order but the reason for the above shows there is a gain and a loss to each design. When I first received an S&S I did a test that actually impressed me and indicated the "wrong" pairing was not going to be a big problem and possibly a good thing.

Bottom line is these new parts are GOOD news as the factory manifolds have the "wrong" pairing on ALL cylinders.

Quick Reply: Long tube headers