Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Joe Z Intake Pipe Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 09:34 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by busdepot
WTF ^^ where did you get a blue one?? I didn't know there was an option when I ordered mine, I thought they were all black?
For standard orders we only have Anodized Black & Polished..

Joe Z
Old 09-04-10, 10:16 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Raralith
Joe, I'm tempted to get more baselines before I install the Joe Z exhaust that I bought from you, but the cost of 2 dyno runs is more expensive than the intake itself. The only way I can see getting the most accurate data is reinstalling the stock intake ($20 from Tommy), drive it for maybe 300 miles this time for the ECU can get a good handle of it, dyno ($80), switch back to the Joe Z intake ($20), another 300 miles for the ECU, and than another dyno ($80). And than I still need to get the exhaust installed and another dyno run, but I plan to get that done anyways.

My original intention was to validate and maybe quantify how much this intake can do. I would love to provide additional knowledge for these forums, but I really don't want to pay another $200 when I've already got 8 runs already. That and The Pursuit is 1 month away so time is getting limited, and doing all these test will require almost 1,000 miles of driving (300 for each dyno for the ECU).

For those that are hesitant, please be aware that I would gladly pay $100 for the additional sound you get at the 3,000+ RPM range. In addition, unless you will be pushing your car to the limit like drag racing or tracking (which I do), you should not be able to tell any difference; going WOT on a freeway is no where near pushing your car. This is, of course, my opinion on this.

Hi Joseph,

I Completley understand.. Switching back between intakes should be free..

I also have another shop here in SoCal that does all my Independent dyno tests.

Here is another thread I pulled for you.. For some insane reason the thread is no longer on Club Lexus.. I checked for hours..

Here is the thread from 2006 on my.IS..

FAQ: Joe Z D-AFI Intake Development for 2006+ IS - Final DYNO's & Final Product Pics!

When you get back into town, we will further discuss.

Thank You
Joe Z
Old 09-04-10, 02:41 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, very nicely written. I am surprised by the results.
Old 09-05-10, 08:41 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its been proven that Density Altitude will make a bigger difference that an intake that can possibly give you 5hp.

I ran a regression analysis with alot of members runs and respective
DA's and turned out to be that about 54% of the IS 1/4 mile time is explained by the DA the remainning percentage has to do with wind, tires, track condition, level of gas in tank, weight savings, etc. so lets say the actual intake it probably less than 5% of the equation of a 1/4 mile run.
IMO you cant blame or give credit to an intake for a 1/4 mile time.

HERE ARE THE RESULTS
Old 09-05-10, 09:23 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by juice14
its been proven that Density Altitude will make a bigger difference that an intake that can possibly give you 5hp.

I ran a regression analysis with alot of members runs and respective
DA's and turned out to be that about 54% of the IS 1/4 mile time is explained by the DA the remainning percentage has to do with wind, tires, track condition, level of gas in tank, weight savings, etc. so lets say the actual intake it probably less than 5% of the equation of a 1/4 mile run.
IMO you cant blame or give credit to an intake for a 1/4 mile time.

HERE ARE THE RESULTS
Good ANOVA test
Old 09-05-10, 11:59 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by juice14
I ran a regression analysis with alot of members runs and respective DA's and turned out to be that about 54% of the IS 1/4 mile time is explained by the DA the remainning percentage has to do with wind, tires, track condition, level of gas in tank, weight savings, etc. so lets say the actual intake it probably less than 5% of the equation of a 1/4 mile run. IMO you cant blame or give credit to an intake for a 1/4 mile time.
While I posted 1/8 mile drag times, they were used simply for a quick overview on how a "possible" decrease would have meant for a 1/8, but there was no decrease. The focus of the test though is the dyno results, a baseline vs. a new intake. None of the variables you listed really applies to a dyno since it is in a controlled environment, and I even showed the SAE for correctional purposes for other possibile variances (temp, humidity, etc...). While the data I have above "blames" the intake moreso than anything, I've seen too many people give "credit" to this product so there, in my opinion, has to be something different. Maybe Joe is right in that my baselines are too high, maybe I just received a fluke (even if it goes through a QA check, these things happen), maybe the installation was wrong, but I'm more interested in figuring out why I didn't get the types of increases that others received assuming that they also dynoed their cars.

Another thing my mechanic mentioned that an intake in some cases is only as good as the exhaust since there is a balance and equilibrium that needs to be met; take in all the air you want, but if you can't get rid of the exhaust fast enough, you'll just get another bottle neck. I am purchasing a Joe Z exhaust (from Joe Z himself), and I do plan to dyno those results too so maybe I'll see the intake (5 whp) and exhaust (10ish whp) gain together.

Last edited by Raralith; 09-06-10 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-06-10, 12:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd find track times more persuasive for intake testing, given the intake is sitting still in a hot dyno room for the one test, versus actually being used in a moving vehicle as intended in the other.

But I suppose the saying is "hp sells cars" not "trap speed sells cars"
Old 09-06-10, 08:41 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, I'd like to see trap speeds in the 1/4 both with and without the intake. It takes that rush of air to make a difference with an intake, and I'm contemplating leaving the stock intake snorkel in place when I install whatever intake I end up going with. But I can't lie, I'm prob 50% interested in the sound it makes,
Old 09-07-10, 10:50 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Well, drag/track times are absolutely more important than dyno in terms of real world use; we don't go around racing on dyno's do we? As juice14 posted though, there are too many variables on a drag/track though (DA, wind, tires, track, etc...) that you sometimes really cannot tell if a small whp item like an intake can make a difference. So, while a drag/track times would be the best for real life driving, you simply cannot get the controlled environment that a dyno can do.

As for trap speeds, my local drag strip only does 1/8, but thankfully is on a weekly bases so I get a dozen tries or so a time. If you want to see my slips, feel free to click the link in my signature. The car had a stock intake on August 26th, a Joe Z stock on September 2nd, and I got 12 runs on each night with 1 being thrown out on each.
Old 09-08-10, 06:55 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

The truth is as juice14 pointed out 5whp or .019% gain is absolutely not going to have an effect on the drag strip. Yes rest assured this intake does free up minimal power, but variables such as DA, track prep and driver experience will weigh significantly more on the times than anything you'll see from an intake on this car.

Also for those of your concerned about how hot the intake pipe gets, don't because the air flows through this pipe so fast that there is no way the heat can transfer to the air and cause a power loss. The only downside to this intake could be sitting in traffic where the air can sit in the intake pipe long enough to heat up, but then again you aren't racing in traffic.

In a nutshell the intake pipe will give you a small gain by smoothing out the airflow and at the same time you get a slightly more aggressive engine sound and a nice looking pipe to boot.
Old 09-08-10, 07:31 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry but it does transfer heat. Quite a bit of heat. I've even done tests during 1/4 runs and the temps dont drop near what you think they do.

For instance, my intake air temp was around 112 degrees waiting in a 7 car line on a 65 degree day. At the end of the run the intake temperatures only got to 99 degrees. Thats still 34 degrees warmer than ambient temps in a perfectly sealed stock system.

if it isnt coming from the heat absorption from the intake where is the heat coming from?
Old 09-08-10, 07:46 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
I'm sorry but it does transfer heat. Quite a bit of heat. I've even done tests during 1/4 runs and the temps dont drop near what you think they do.

For instance, my intake air temp was around 112 degrees waiting in a 7 car line on a 65 degree day. At the end of the run the intake temperatures only got to 99 degrees. Thats still 34 degrees warmer than ambient temps in a perfectly sealed stock system.

if it isnt coming from the heat absorption from the intake where is the heat coming from?
Good question man. First, how are you measuring temps and have you tried the same testing at night? There are only a few things that can create the additional heat and I'm reluctant to believe the pipe is able to heat the air 34 degrees in such a short time and distance, but I could be very wrong as I'm not an expert in this field. I would say, lets look at the source of the air first. The ambient air may be 65F, but there are other factors such as radiant heat from the track to consider, which is why I am asking if you tested at night once the pavement has cooled down.

Last edited by caymandive; 09-08-10 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-08-10, 08:08 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Im using a bluetooth connection to my iphone that reads my IAT from the OBD2 port. If its the only input I have showing it refreshes once every half second. And, no it wasnt at night, it was just turning into dusk. I agree with you too, bout the fact that there is also ambient heat all around.

Also the reason I say it is a heat transfer source is because, in conjunction with other technology, I am using the length of the pipe as a type of evaporator for my intake Ive been building. I have gotten excellent results (32-38 degree drop) with just the intake itself cooled to freezing but more so (45+ drop) with the additional meaures I have in place.

Obviously the cooling effect is increased the slower the air moves through it but Ive also done test (dont laugh now) using a shop vac with different reducers to simulate the cfm of our motor at different rpms and only see increase in temps by 7-10 degrees. Still pretty good even at WOT.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 09-08-10 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-08-10, 08:16 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
Im using a bluetooth connection to my iphone that reads my IAT from the OBD2 port. If its the only input I have showing it refreshes once every half second. And, no it wasnt at night, it was just turning into dusk. I agree with you too, bout the fact that there is also ambient heat all around.

Also the reason I say it is a heat transfer source is because, in conjunction with other technology, I am using the length of the pipe as a type of evaporator for my intake Ive been building. I have gotten excellent results (32-38 degree drop) with just the intake itself cooled to freezing but more so (45+ drop) with the additional meaures I have in place.

Obviously the cooling effect is increased the slower the air moves through it but Ive also done test (dont laugh now) using a shop vac with different reducers to simulate the cfm of our motor at different rpms and only see increase in temps by 7-10 degrees. Still pretty good even at WOT.
Looking forward to seeing more about this intake setup you designed. I'm very curious as to what exactly you are doing so I'll be following your progress and maybe we could eventually work something out for the F if all goes well.
Old 09-08-10, 08:20 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

thanks, Im pushing very hard to make this self appointed deadline. However the proof is in the pudding, and if the dyno tests I plan on doing dont come back as expected I guess I'll have to scrap it.

Im getting more and more nervous the closer I get to completion.

Quick Reply: Joe Z Intake Pipe Dyno Results