Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

converting to manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 01:27 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

V160 is longer than R and W series trannys.
Custom (1) piece DS from Snap Performance , You should be able to run the Stock ECU and just do the NSSB on the wires that goes to Auto trans.
I've always use the Stock SC300 Ecu when i do the manual swap on the SC3 no need for a manual ECU.
I have never done the GS but i have done atleast 10 SCs, I will be a little harder on the GS because they never came manual so drilling for the slave cylinder is a Pita but could be done.
Old 11-17-10, 07:45 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SC300 is nothing like the 2nd gen GS, it is very similar to the 1st gen GS though which is much easier to modify.

I went into my 2001 GS300 coming from the Supra world, the big difference is the multiplex ecu's, analog signals come in but digital signals come out so you can't easily scope a problem. There is a ECU in every door of this car, 2 ecu's just for the headlights, you have to be careful what you remove becasue you will lose functions. I've never tried a 6 speed swap on my stock ecu, I did try to piggy back my stock ecu for single turbo and it was horrible. Just go to the myis forums, the IS300 is pretty much the same car as the GS in terms of drive train / ecu's. Just about everyone of those guys with single turbo / big power has a stand alone.
Old 11-17-10, 08:17 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ROPADOPA
If i recall correctly i ended up using IS clutch pedal and gas pedal then modified my brake pedal, I chose the IS based on as they were the less complex and smallest of lexus units.. Plus they dress out nice. I bought another pedal recover for my brake to finish it out.

Piece of cake .lol
Hey Ropa, is that your e-brake cable running up through the tranny tunnel? I didn't know you converted to a hand brake.
Old 11-17-10, 01:12 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgamz
Hey Ropa, is that your e-brake cable running up through the tranny tunnel? I didn't know you converted to a hand brake.
That's where the stock foot pedal one comes out. It runs from the foot pedal around under the carpet down the center console and out just under where the console bolts to the car.

Don't know if he's converted to hand brake or not, but that's where it comes out stock.
Old 11-17-10, 01:21 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

oh ok I didn't realize that was a stock location.
Old 01-21-11, 02:48 PM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this thread now... great input, I'm still exploring options as I have to spend all my money on suspension since I just killed mine drifting. my latest big obsession, hand brake conversion with shifter....? and NO, Im not doing hydraulic..
Old 01-21-11, 05:02 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

I have found that your best fitting option is to use the MKIV Supra or SC300/400 ebrake handle and cable. Those were the ones that I was going to use and only had to make some spacers to bolt it to the transmission tunnel and would be good to go. . . .too bad I had to give up on mine for now
Old 01-23-11, 01:22 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by quickGS300
V160 is longer than R and W series trannys.
Custom (1) piece DS from Snap Performance , You should be able to run the Stock ECU and just do the NSSB on the wires that goes to Auto trans.
I've always use the Stock SC300 Ecu when i do the manual swap on the SC3 no need for a manual ECU.
I have never done the GS but i have done atleast 10 SCs, I will be a little harder on the GS because they never came manual so drilling for the slave cylinder is a Pita but could be done.
its not that bad i did it and i made my own pedals and cut and moved the brake pedal over just ran out of money for the trans been looking for a cheap t-56 or r154 working on a custom flywheel to fit a 10.5 inch clutch from a mustang pressure plate then you can use a disc form chevy or ford or mopar even a toyota hilux/tacoma clutch depending on the trans being used open alot of options to us i have the model done just need the mustang pressure plate bolt pattern and dowl location to finish.
Old 01-23-11, 01:24 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

thanks for the brake info i was wandering what to use i put my pedals in and took out the stock ebrake pedal so needed to figure that out quick thanks.
Old 01-25-11, 11:54 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SlvrGS300
I have found that your best fitting option is to use the MKIV Supra or SC300/400 ebrake handle and cable. Those were the ones that I was going to use and only had to make some spacers to bolt it to the transmission tunnel and would be good to go. . . .too bad I had to give up on mine for now
what about the interior trim. possible to modify the stock supra or sc300 shifter trim to fit in the gs? I was thinking of finding the closest and modding it to fit, then wrapping in carbon fiber to clean up the look. for handbrake sake...

edit:
and what about an is300 shifter trim?
Old 01-26-11, 07:54 PM
jedi23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
I used SC300 pedals, and originally was going to use the SC's clutch master too. Ended up using a smaller Honda clutch master cylinder due to space issues with the ABS system.

My set up doesnt use a custom bellhousing due to the 1UZ, just a custom adapter plate to mate the two.
do you rember witch honda you got it out of ?
Old 01-27-11, 06:05 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SlvrGS300
I'm working on the R154 swap in my GTE VVTi swapped GS right now. I started out with the IS parts list from my.is It;s not looking like those parts work so well. The plunger rod that bolts to the pedal appears to be too short, the pedal hits the floor before it's fully depressed. The pedal itself is too long and has the wrong bends in it. The frame that the pedal mounts to needs to be modified so that it fits up under the dash. You have to cut of a pretty big chunk of it.

I am going to try the SC pedal setup with the SC clutch master cylinder and see how that goes next. I have removed the factory foot e-brake and am going to try the SC ebrake and Supra ebrake and see which one fits best. I'm also looking in to removing the factory brake booster and replace it with the Supra brake booster to free up some room there. Money is tight, we have another baby on the way so the process is pretty slow going right now. I'll try to update as I progress.

Ryan
thats why i made my own clutch pedal then cut and repositioned the brake pedal that why i could bend it just the way i wanted.
Old 01-27-11, 07:33 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

NM, found the answer.

Last edited by Agent0024; 02-02-11 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 03:37 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing back an older post thats in here!!! I have been searching for all info on this swap and I could not find this particular post at all. A friend of mine found it for me so Im bringing it back because it has good pictures and good info! There really should be a "STICKY" for this conversion. I know its not common enough to have one yet but, it would be great if the members who have done it would post up some of there knowledge and pictures for us! Im no SHIZ in the mist of gathering up the parts to do this conversion. It will be slow going but I will do some sort of a write up. I will not actually pull out my Aristo 4 speed until I have at least 90% of the swap parts in order not to have my car down for a long period of time.
Old 10-24-12, 03:33 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

I'm doing the swap as well. I have a 2001 GS430 with an Aristo VVTi 2JZGTE waiting to go in. The tranny ill be using is the W58 that has already been mated to the engine. I'm currently working on the pedal setup. I've done 4 conversions on the SC but never the GS. I'm using the complete clutch pedal assembly for an SC. I trimmed away some of the insulation and removed some connectors and ECUs out of the way to make room for the clutch pedal setup. There is just not enough room to work with but with a little patience it will all work out ok. I haven't done any drilling of the firewall yet as I still have to trim the SC Bracket to fit the small space you have to work with. I thought I was going to get away with using the OEM brake pedal but I might just need to replace it with SC brake pedal and hope that the length and bends are correct. I'll try and take pictures and keep everyone posted on the progress.

Also I need to figure out how to bypass the neutral safety switch for the GS430. I know there were a couple ways of doing it. One way is through the fuse box and jumping a couple a couple spades on a relay. But I'll try and figure it out. By the way, there are no hard lines being used. I replaced them with stainless steel braided lines from DriftMotion.