ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Performance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-186/)
-   -   converting to manual (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/519125-converting-to-manual.html)

StarkoS14 08-13-10 08:19 PM

converting to manual

whats up, I see there are a handful of you guys with 6 speed swaps. I was curious how tough a manual conversion really is on a gs considering they were never available in a manual. I have a 2 swap and auto, and my wiring guy said we should just save a lot of the wiring hassle and put in a 5 or 6 speed. so then, what clutch/brake pedals are you guys using? any nice aftermarket clutch line options? driveshaft? Anything to look out for?

flexspeed 08-16-10 07:13 PM

im doing my research on this.... i havent found a DIY on manual conversion.... its been done but not much information..... all i found out that you can use sc300, supra, and maybe is300 trany, is300 pedals or sc, clutch cylinder.. .....on the clutch, i believe it depend on the that is being used.... on the trany, you have to do some custom brackets or extension....there are some information on the SEARCH.... the part im not sure about is the ECU and throttle body, starter..so im still working on this.... correct me if i mention anything not correct...

StarkoS14 08-21-10 12:04 PM

nah, you pretty much have the info I do.... this site needs a diy manual conversion more than myself.

JiBBeL 08-24-10 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by StarkoS14 (Post 5731652)
nah, you pretty much have the info I do.... this site needs a diy manual conversion more than myself.

It's tough to do a DIY on this cuz it's soooooo custom. Most ppl that have done it, had it done professionally as there's alot of welding/cutting/fabrication involved.

StarkoS14 08-25-10 08:19 AM

lol.... cutting and welding... no big deal dude. i bet its easier to convert a gs to manual than it is to wire in my 4speed auto trans that came with my jdm aristo 2j swap

TTurboPimp 08-25-10 11:49 AM

theres actually not alot of cutting, welding, and fabricating like metioned prior.

The V160 fits in the tunnel fine, and lines up pretty good with the stock shifter area. The only part that is somewhat difficult is the pedals....not alot of room to work with. That being said, its a matter of drilling the hole for the placement of the clutch master and making sure it all lines up right.

You will have to get a driveshaft made, which isnt a big deal either.

StarkoS14 08-25-10 06:50 PM

thank you so much for the input. what pedal and master cyl are you using? Im also curious about using a 5 speed for the mean time until im done school, but my questions are more about length and clutch **** which is prob different due to your custom bellhousing and using the 1uz

Caoboy 08-25-10 08:03 PM

I've been wanting to put a 5speed on my GE motor.

I don't know if our auto transmissions are controlled by the ECU or not, like hondas for example.

I think we can use an SC ecu (if they made them later on in 97-2000) or a Supra NA ECU (or GTE if you can find one in a 98) if that is the case...the wiring is pretty simple for the GTE swap (look up silverGS300 or whatever his SN is, from CANADA his first mod on his car was a GTE swap, and the wiring was like 4 wires to switch, run a fuel return line upgrade a pump and you were done)

As far as transmission swaps...the common swap was using an IS pedal/Clutch MC. I know you can run a steele braided line from the MC to the slave (theory, from my 240 days) instead of making a hard line. IDK about the driveshaft. I know that the W58's (or 55's) are what the IS300 uses, and you can get a W58 from a mk3 supra.

Driveshaft, IDK, maybe custom, maybe one will fit from an SC or Supra. The motors fit right? lol.

Tranmission brace/mount...you'd have to figure that out. There might be some welding involved with the shifter, to get it to line up.

I'd research more heavily into this...but I don't have R/D skills. Best documented one here was adamgamz, but then he had a shop do it.

If somebody made a DIY though, it'd be awesome...

Oh, and there was the black vertex gs that the guy put an LS1 in, but that had a t56 tremec.

I guess the hardest parts are the clutch pedal assembly, and sourcing a driveshaft, and whether or not we need a different ecu. Wiring shouldn't be too hard, I think the VSS's wired with the ABS sensors...

StarkoS14 08-25-10 08:33 PM

now i know why there is no writeup, my head just got confused thinking about all the frankensteining, cause when we wire my swap, we want it to still be obdII. i have a 95 aristo motor(72k Km) with the auto 4 speed right now. prob need the US ecu and possibly harness, but then theres the vvt **** that isnt the same too.. regardless, im posting all my info whenever I figure out how Im doing all this. At least I already have my swap staring me down to get this project rolling in a solid direction. Hanging an ecu above your bed that bluntly says "2JZ-GT," def helps motivation.

anybody running a hydraulic handbrake? that customization i want to see
(and not the v8 swapped drift car)

StarkoS14 08-25-10 08:35 PM

also, if anybody has any parts they are willing to donate for some trial and error customization, i would gladly put them to the test and post up my findings

Caoboy 08-25-10 09:22 PM

If you were to get the VVT-i, it's really simple in the wiring department.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...it-begins.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-for-now.html

This is probably the best write-up for the GTE swap for our cars...especially the 98-00 (some 01's depending on the build date and the ecu plugs)

StarkoS14 08-26-10 12:01 AM

however, i got the vvt, not the vvti... like i said, i got a 95 motor... its mint as hell, but my local importer wasnt importing 2gs swaps because he only buys running cars and its not as desirable to sell at such a high cost

StarkoS14 08-26-10 12:06 AM

from your link.....

Originally Posted by jacksonvp (Post 4174250)
I wish I could find an importer that had the JZS161 2JZ readily available... Anyone know of any importer companies that list these?

-Jackson

lol

TTurboPimp 08-29-10 06:16 PM

I used SC300 pedals, and originally was going to use the SC's clutch master too. Ended up using a smaller Honda clutch master cylinder due to space issues with the ABS system.

My set up doesnt use a custom bellhousing due to the 1UZ, just a custom adapter plate to mate the two.

tom steele 08-29-10 07:29 PM

i am using a tilton master cylinder 7/8 bore and made my own pedal just finishing up on the pedals and waiting on jegs to send me the friction plate i ordered to finish on my flywheel design. and i plan on using the t-56 to my 1uzfe the t-56 has a really tall 6 gear this should be great for gas milage. i am having the adapter plate cut this week. still need to find a trans for cheap....