Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS 350 Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 06:54 AM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are we talking about track cars or drag cars? If you're talking about track cars, I've seen a civic (EK) with K20 head + K24block smoking a supercharged corvette (C6) on a track. Power is not everything on a track. If it's a drag racing it's different story.
Old 07-30-10, 12:15 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

35k budget?
fine a good used one for about 30-32.
3k in mods, like i said, you'll be giving the F's an *** wooping
its the truth.

and why are we bringing up civics lol..
obviously if he has an is350 he wants a quick car with a little bit of style...
so a 335i would suit him pretty well.
Old 08-11-10, 10:35 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Why? Look at dragtimes and see all the 335 running 11s. I don't see even one IS-F in the 11s. The fastest one is running 12.0 with a 125 shot nitrous.
IDK why everyone is so stuck on what cars doing what in the quarter mile.

Stepping on the gas and going fast in a straight line has got to be the most boring way of racing known to man kind.

Forget the IS-F and the 335. If you want to run 10s and 11s in a straight line buy an old 5.0 Mustang and drop a few mods in it why spend 45+ to go fast in a straight line?
Old 08-12-10, 06:47 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Cause we ballas!!! haha
Old 08-12-10, 12:19 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by prankster
Are we talking about track cars or drag cars? If you're talking about track cars, I've seen a civic (EK) with K20 head + K24block smoking a supercharged corvette (C6) on a track. Power is not everything on a track. If it's a drag racing it's different story.
i know of a b16 that spanked a built mustang and a built sc300

if you want more power and you have the money, swap a 2jz. its your best bet to get more power if you have the funds.
Old 08-12-10, 01:05 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another ridiculous thread.

Edit: If you want to go fast buy a sports bike. When i want to go fast, i hop on my r1 and take it for a spin.

Last edited by 2slow; 08-12-10 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 01:29 PM
integlspwr
Pole Position

335i, vishnu v4, downpipes, exhuast, intake, fmic. make about 400whp with a crazy useable powerband.
Old 08-12-10, 08:52 PM
IS-J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by integlspwr
335i, vishnu v4, downpipes, exhuast, intake, fmic. make about 400whp with a crazy useable powerband.
LOL, I saw a vid today of a 135i beating a gallardo!! Plus I know a 335i with those same mods and walked on an IS-F on bottle...

So Im with everyone else get a 335i!!
Old 08-12-10, 09:02 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
I don't either, but what makes you think you can have an 11 second 335 for his stated $35k budget. Not even close around here. The going rate for a nice, low mileage model is atleast that, and easily higher.
Not to throw gasoline on ur flame but you can get an 07 335i coupe with under 45k miles for 25k-28k all day
Old 08-12-10, 10:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Why waste time with all this expensive stuff when you can buy an F-body, build a small block 383, and smoke all these imports at the drags running 10's for less than $15k total investment. If it's all about straight line 1/4 mile speed, you can't beat domestic for quick and ridiculously cheap.

If you put a turn in the way, everything changes.
Old 08-13-10, 09:55 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Since the IS350 uses a combination of direct and port injection has anyone successfully adapted the fuel system to allow turbo/supercharging? I know of a couple of cars shown with turbo(s) but is the fuel system up to the task?

Turbocharging is the most flexible way to increase power on any engine. Of course there is also nitrous oxide which is actually chemical supercharging.

Assuming the fuel system can be made to work with it more displacement it should be doable to source a 1GR-FE short block (from a Toyota truck) and install the 2GR-FSE heads, intake, fuel system and all other components. The 1GR has the same 94mm bore as the 2GR but has 95mm stroke vs the 83mm in the 2GR. This would give you a 4 liter aka IS400. In theory you should be able to get very close to the same specific output of the 350 multiplied to the larger 4 liter displacement.

3.5 liters making 306hp and 277tq = 87hp/ltr and 79tq/ltr

this same specific output when applied to 4 liters = 348hp and 316tq

Add headers, tuning, etc and you should get close to the power to weight ratio of an IS-F

IS350 at 3530 pounds with est 360hp = 9.8 pounds per HP
IS-F at 3780 pounds with 416hp = 9.1 pounds per HP

Old 08-13-10, 11:12 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
Since the IS350 uses a combination of direct and port injection has anyone successfully adapted the fuel system to allow turbo/supercharging? I know of a couple of cars shown with turbo(s) but is the fuel system up to the task?

Turbocharging is the most flexible way to increase power on any engine. Of course there is also nitrous oxide which is actually chemical supercharging.

Assuming the fuel system can be made to work with it more displacement it should be doable to source a 1GR-FE short block (from a Toyota truck) and install the 2GR-FSE heads, intake, fuel system and all other components. The 1GR has the same 94mm bore as the 2GR but has 95mm stroke vs the 83mm in the 2GR. This would give you a 4 liter aka IS400. In theory you should be able to get very close to the same specific output of the 350 multiplied to the larger 4 liter displacement.

3.5 liters making 306hp and 277tq = 87hp/ltr and 79tq/ltr

this same specific output when applied to 4 liters = 348hp and 316tq

Add headers, tuning, etc and you should get close to the power to weight ratio of an IS-F

IS350 at 3530 pounds with est 360hp = 9.8 pounds per HP
IS-F at 3780 pounds with 416hp = 9.1 pounds per HP

OMG, finally someone on here not drooling over VP pillows. YES, you're def onto something my friend. Adapting the fuel system isnt a really big deal but I worry that eliminating certain aspects of the OEM system may throw all kinds of trouble with the oem computers.

It seems to me that the biggest issue with boosting the stock motor is the compression being so high. I'm not sure if a slightly thicker gasket and strong headstuds would be enough, or if you actually have to swap out the pistons to lower comp ones. What you stated above sounds great but alot of people will not want to get into a 15k project (minimum) between putting together a frankenstein motor with all forged internals, then doing the turbo setup. Plus who knows if the crank angle sensor, knock sensor, etc... will all match up. Then we need to custom wire things and so on.

lastly, you're comparing the weight of a stock IS350. Swap that block in there and you're going to have a heavier car by probably at least 100 lbs. The ISF also has an 8 spd tranny which I'm sure accounts for some of the weight, but the is350 tranny may not be able to hold the power anyway, so then we're stuck modding that as well.

When we're done we may have an IS350 with 20k invested that has the same power as a stock motor ISF running 7psi. Or we could have bought a newer m3, z06, 335i and modded it, etc...
Old 08-13-10, 12:10 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
OMG, finally someone on here not drooling over VP pillows. YES, you're def onto something my friend. Adapting the fuel system isnt a really big deal but I worry that eliminating certain aspects of the OEM system may throw all kinds of trouble with the oem computers.

It seems to me that the biggest issue with boosting the stock motor is the compression being so high. I'm not sure if a slightly thicker gasket and strong headstuds would be enough, or if you actually have to swap out the pistons to lower comp ones. What you stated above sounds great but alot of people will not want to get into a 15k project (minimum) between putting together a frankenstein motor with all forged internals, then doing the turbo setup. Plus who knows if the crank angle sensor, knock sensor, etc... will all match up. Then we need to custom wire things and so on.

lastly, you're comparing the weight of a stock IS350. Swap that block in there and you're going to have a heavier car by probably at least 100 lbs. The ISF also has an 8 spd tranny which I'm sure accounts for some of the weight, but the is350 tranny may not be able to hold the power anyway, so then we're stuck modding that as well.

When we're done we may have an IS350 with 20k invested that has the same power as a stock motor ISF running 7psi. Or we could have bought a newer m3, z06, 335i and modded it, etc...
Certainly changing pistons is a possibility if you want to run a turbo/supercharger. I have not done the calculations on the compression ratio increase with STOCK 2GR-FSE (3.5 liter) heads on the longer stroke 1GR-FE (4.0 liter) STOCK block. Stock compression being 11.8 to 1 on the FSE. The key will be the 1GR piston dish volume (or lack of) combined with deck height. This may or may not be usable with no changes. An option MAY be to run the 2GR camshafts with the 1GR heads. This would drop compression to a boost friendlier 10.0 to 1.

As far as weight goes with the only difference between the 1 and the 2 is the slightly heavier crankshaft with more stroke. Otherwise there should not be a weight increase with this swap.

If only doing a block swap and not looking for turbo/supercharger application this could be done with a JDM import 1GR engine or a wrecking yard engine. Cost may be under 3k for someone turning their own wrenches. Maybe WAY under that if the engine aquisition cost is low enough. Of course with the heads off the block it could be a great time to port the heads!

If this were my project I may try to source a 1GR-FE and an additional 2GR-FSE and build the engine out of the car to comfirm interchangability. The end result should be an identical appearing engine with 4 liters of displacement that accepts ALL the stock IS350 sensors, brackets, attachments, etc. There should be no need or desire to eliminate any of the OEM sensors. It is unkown of course whether the knock sensors would perform the same with the slightly larger engine that may have different sound frequencies.

Considering that this swap would only increase displacement by 14.3% it may be within the ability of the stock fuel system to compensate. It is possible that NO fuel system mods would be required to run this all factory IS400
Old 08-13-10, 06:49 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

The e92 m3 has higher compression ratio than our car, why are they able to supercharged it?
Old 08-13-10, 07:01 PM
integlspwr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by someboy
The e92 m3 has higher compression ratio than our car, why are they able to supercharged it?
i think because its the ecu management.

Quick Reply: IS 350 Supercharger