Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dyno 4/15/10

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-10, 07:24 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
you are gonna find that the rear end comes lose easily... I miss my SS...will do mine next week or a week after.
I tested it earlier and it just rips from a stand still, a very nice feeling compare to when i first got it stock. What happend to your ss headers?
Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
If I do recall...at FIRST I was not happy with them...especially for the cost of $700 and labor costs of $900 (more expensive install on a GS400). So for $1600 bucks I was pissed. After I gave it a week for the ECU to break-in and after a tune...it was all good!
I should of wait also for the ecu to learn, but i guess i'm a very impatience guy. Now i wounder if it would of made better numbers if i waited Something to think about before going to get a tune that's for sure. A co-worker of mines also told me that i should of got gas at BP or shell before the tune because superamerica's gas is like crap " that's where i pumped before the dyno" He said SA's gas will pull timing as alot of people have been having this issue with the cheap superamerica gas.
Originally Posted by TLcoats
Looking good Long! Can't wait tosee your numbers after the dyno! Keep us posted. Has anybody installed these themselves? I'm going to get these next batch and $900 for install is ridiculous!
Thanks Tim, The only down side to these headers is the install and cost
LOL, I wonder if it's faster to just cut the exhaust off and then unbolt the remaining part...be safe if anyone tries this.
I'm not sure how you would do that but it could be possible, not much room to work around. I would keep the OEM one's just in case these CRACK.
Originally Posted by sakataj
wow...no kidding guess i will hold off on these. so wait...why are tranny/engine mounts cheaper. u STILL have to pull engine up to install them just like when you do headers.....
The engine mounts look easy and if anyone wanna do this job by themselves looks like it would be best to remove the engine mounts. After the mounts are removed there is so much room to work around to get the bolts off the manifold. Looks like Yang just took the bolts off from the bottom and lifted the engine up from underneath a little to remove them. Also have to remove the bolts that mounts to the block.
I did the SS headers install and I can say that I'd rather do 10 engine mounts than one SS headers. I don't think they really hoist the engine up to do an engine mount install... just push it up with a floor jack. Even if the shop has better tools, it's difficult to get to the bolts.
Yeah the hard ones are the bolts holding the motor mounts to the block.
Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Blah blah blah, here are some videos for the people who were interested. Judging by how tired he was earlier, he is probably sleeping now, but he will post up the numbers before too long. Whatever the numbers were, this thing is awesome, and sure as hell looks and sounds mean. I don't think you could take the vette though Long....

Dyno run #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66NvpgBNDU

Dyno run #2, #3, and #4..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOrLSfdhC_w

Dyno run #5 after everything was cooled down...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkGYiWKQRdM

And backing out of the dyno...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtnywGJtKwI
LOL!! Dude your Vette is just crazy and for sure my GS wouldn't stand a chance. It's a head turner for sure. Here are the pictures i took of Justin's Vette. If i remember correctly, it was a 62 right?

Well as for numbers i haven't got the email from jordan yet so no graph to show you guys. But if i remember it was something like 27o something whp and 28o something wtq. I totally forgot, but it was in that ball park. I'll post up the dyno sheet as soon as i get it from MAP.
Well overall i'm not to happy about the money that went into this motor, but in the end if you think about it, the mods that was put on, the numbers are not that bad. Plus low to mid range, feels great! The addition of the headers made a difference in the mid range powerband as you'll see it on the dyno sheet compare to the last dyno pulls.
Well see how the car runs after a couple weeks and if it feels different in any way, i'm heading back to do a couple dyno pulls to see if the numbers changed at all.

Here is my journey to 27o-280 whp

Stock 235-240whp
Injen Intake - rear l-tuned mufflers w/o tune - 245whp
Injen intake - L-tuned rear mufflers w/tune - 255 whp
Injen intake - 3" Magnaflow race mufflers - 2.5" full catback custom x-pipe/Tune - 261whp - 279wtq
Injen intake - SS headers - 3" Magnaflow race mufflers - 2.5" full catback custom x-pipe/Tune 27o-280 whp - 28o something tq

Grand total of $3018.96 including labor = 35whp Not worth it IMO.

I will enjoy this setup for 2010 and will not be putting anymore money into this engine and will be looking to move on to another project
Old 04-23-10, 07:34 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Nice! Looking forward to those numbers! Did I hear that right on the video? 306whp on one of the runs? Or was there a mistake in the run?
lol yeah 306whp wouldn't be bad at all. MISTAKE for sure.

BTW Rock, how are your headers doing? any sign's of cracks yet? Now that i got these on i'm starting to wounder when will they let go.
Old 04-23-10, 07:35 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by denut-L
I tested it earlier and it just rips from a stand still, a very nice feeling compare to when i first got it stock. What happend to your ss headers?

I should of wait also for the ecu to learn, but i guess i'm a very impatience guy. Now i wounder if it would of made better numbers if i waited Something to think about before going to get a tune that's for sure. A co-worker of mines also told me that i should of got gas at BP or shell before the tune because superamerica's gas is like crap " that's where i pumped before the dyno" He said SA's gas will pull timing as alot of people have been having this issue with the cheap superamerica gas.

Thanks Tim, The only down side to these headers is the install and cost

I'm not sure how you would do that but it could be possible, not much room to work around. I would keep the OEM one's just in case these CRACK.

The engine mounts look easy and if anyone wanna do this job by themselves looks like it would be best to remove the engine mounts. After the mounts are removed there is so much room to work around to get the bolts off the manifold. Looks like Yang just took the bolts off from the bottom and lifted the engine up from underneath a little to remove them. Also have to remove the bolts that mounts to the block.

Yeah the hard ones are the bolts holding the motor mounts to the block.

LOL!! Dude your Vette is just crazy and for sure my GS wouldn't stand a chance. It's a head turner for sure. Here are the pictures i took of Justin's Vette. If i remember correctly, it was a 62 right?

Well as for numbers i haven't got the email from jordan yet so no graph to show you guys. But if i remember it was something like 27o something whp and 28o something wtq. I totally forgot, but it was in that ball park. I'll post up the dyno sheet as soon as i get it from MAP.
Well overall i'm not to happy about the money that went into this motor, but in the end if you think about it, the mods that was put on, the numbers are not that bad. Plus low to mid range, feels great! The addition of the headers made a difference in the mid range powerband as you'll see it on the dyno sheet compare to the last dyno pulls.
Well see how the car runs after a couple weeks and if it feels different in any way, i'm heading back to do a couple dyno pulls to see if the numbers changed at all.

Here is my journey to 27o-280 whp

Stock 235-240whp
Injen Intake - rear l-tuned mufflers w/o tune - 245whp
Injen intake - L-tuned rear mufflers w/tune - 255 whp
Injen intake - 3" Magnaflow race mufflers - 2.5" full catback custom x-pipe/Tune - 261whp - 279wtq
Injen intake - SS headers - 3" Magnaflow race mufflers - 2.5" full catback custom x-pipe/Tune 27o-280 whp - 28o something tq

Grand total of $3018.96 including labor = 35whp Not worth it IMO.

I will enjoy this setup for 2010 and will not be putting anymore money into this engine and will be looking to move on to another project
Hey man, keep your head up...those are great numbers! I just want you to know that I felt the SAME exact way when I had my car dyno'd but then a couple of veterans on the board explained to me that overall max WHP and max WTQ doesn't mean as much as WHERE MOST OF THAT POWER IS MADE! For example say your max power numbers went up by 35whp (such as in your case) and someone else made 50whp more than you MAX. If 90% of your max power is made in the low-end and mid-range then your car will feel better (stronger) on the street than the other car. Understand? This is EXACTLY why some people flame some Supra owners and say that they modded it to be a "dyno queen"...making a lot of MAX power but not in the optimal "driving" range. This is ALSO why sometimes a particular year/make/model car with more power doesn't do as good as the same year/make/model car with less power on the street and/or in the 1/4 mile. It is ALL about where the power is made what counts. Thanks for sharing your recent modding history with us.
Old 04-23-10, 08:10 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey rock! Do you think the additon of a High Stall TC will help increase Long's performance numbers. I see that your numbers are higher with similiar mods but you have a High Stall TC and 3.76 LSD. Im just wondering if these actually help put the power to the rollers.
Old 04-24-10, 06:10 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Hey rock! Do you think the additon of a High Stall TC will help increase Long's performance numbers. I see that your numbers are higher with similiar mods but you have a High Stall TC and 3.76 LSD. Im just wondering if these actually help put the power to the rollers.
Good question, I am not sure about that. I was always under the impression that the PI TC and different gears don't actually MAKE more power (i.e. undetectable on the dyno) but I could be wrong.

Also, to everyone modding:

DO NOT FORGET, if you spend $3,000 to get 30whp this may sound like it sucks but is really doesn't! This is roughly $100/whp. What do you think you would get with a supercharger or turbocharger setup?

Supercharger - Adds around 100whp. For a PROPER setup supercharger, when it's all said and done you will be DAMN near close to spending $10K or...$100/whp!!!

Turbocharger - Adds 150+whp. Let's say you get a turbo setup that ADDS 200whp. Now, from STOCK levels you are now rolling aroun 450whp. Guess what? To properly execute this setup you will be dropping damn near close to $20K!!! (don't forget with this much MORE power now you will have to beef up the transmission and perhaps even the stock brakes). This again arrives you at $100/whp!!!

The cheapest mod per whp will ALWAYS be nitrous. Although not perminent (or safe for the health of the engine) a 100 SHOT of nitrous ADDS roughly 100whp. A nitrous setup done properly would probably run around $1000-$1500 or $10-15/whp.

If it is your WEEKEND CAR and you want to keep costs down by NOT going FI I would do EVERY BOLT-ON POSSIBLE and a small 50 shot of nitrous. Just enough to allow you to hang with the faster cars that much better without putting a strain on the engine at all! Just think about it when you hit that button you would probably be right around the 330-340whp range. Take into account the 20% loss from the drivetrain and this arrives you at a 420hp (crank) luxury sedan. This is an AWESOME NA setup...get a MEAN set of tires though. Traction means EVERYTHING!

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 04-24-10 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-24-10, 06:45 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

I think you did a great job. Who in you area has a sporty lexo putting down that much power. I am not talking IS-F either. These cars came with a great blend of class\luxury\speed. You just made it class\speed\luxury.
I am going to be following this path soon (waiting on revised headers from PE) and I am looking for results like this. Also like Rock said.. you need a tad more.. drop in a 50 shot!
Old 04-24-10, 11:14 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Hey man, keep your head up...those are great numbers! I just want you to know that I felt the SAME exact way when I had my car dyno'd but then a couple of veterans on the board explained to me that overall max WHP and max WTQ doesn't mean as much as WHERE MOST OF THAT POWER IS MADE! For example say your max power numbers went up by 35whp (such as in your case) and someone else made 50whp more than you MAX. If 90% of your max power is made in the low-end and mid-range then your car will feel better (stronger) on the street than the other car. Understand? This is EXACTLY why some people flame some Supra owners and say that they modded it to be a "dyno queen"...making a lot of MAX power but not in the optimal "driving" range. This is ALSO why sometimes a particular year/make/model car with more power doesn't do as good as the same year/make/model car with less power on the street and/or in the 1/4 mile. It is ALL about where the power is made what counts. Thanks for sharing your recent modding history with us.
This is also very true, I would have to say that peak hp tq didn't gain much but there was a big gain in the mid range power band. Jordan at MAP showed me a before and after chart and oh yeah you can see the big increase in that area.
INteresting on the TC. BUt as i remember our cars making peak tq at around is it 2500 or 3000 rpms? My dyno was done at around 3500rpms and tq started at highest peak then went down as rpms went up. I was wondering if he tried to get it going at 2500rpm too see what it would look like. But i doubt it would hold a gear being at that low of an rpm.
Good question, I am not sure about that. I was always under the impression that the PI TC and different gears don't actually MAKE more power (i.e. undetectable on the dyno) but I could be wrong.

Also, to everyone modding:

DO NOT FORGET, if you spend $3,000 to get 30whp this may sound like it sucks but is really doesn't! This is roughly $100/whp. What do you think you would get with a supercharger or turbocharger setup?

Supercharger - Adds around 100whp. For a PROPER setup supercharger, when it's all said and done you will be DAMN near close to spending $10K or...$100/whp!!!

Turbocharger - Adds 150+whp. Let's say you get a turbo setup that ADDS 200whp. Now, from STOCK levels you are now rolling aroun 450whp. Guess what? To properly execute this setup you will be dropping damn near close to $20K!!! (don't forget with this much MORE power now you will have to beef up the transmission and perhaps even the stock brakes). This again arrives you at $100/whp!!!

The cheapest mod per whp will ALWAYS be nitrous. Although not perminent (or safe for the health of the engine) a 100 SHOT of nitrous ADDS roughly 100whp. A nitrous setup done properly would probably run around $1000-$1500 or $10-15/whp.

If it is your WEEKEND CAR and you want to keep costs down by NOT going FI I would do EVERY BOLT-ON POSSIBLE and a small 50 shot of nitrous. Just enough to allow you to hang with the faster cars that much better without putting a strain on the engine at all! Just think about it when you hit that button you would probably be right around the 330-340whp range. Take into account the 20% loss from the drivetrain and this arrives you at a 420hp (crank) luxury sedan. This is an AWESOME NA setup...get a MEAN set of tires though. Traction means EVERYTHING!
50 shot of nitrous sounds very good at this moment. I wounder if adding that 50 shot would be able to take this boat down that 1/4 into the low 13's, adding to that with a set of semi-slick or drag radials. Do you think this small 4.3l will be able to hold 50-75 shot? and i'm pretty sure you'll have to retune it after, plus maybe run different spark plugs. Correct me if i'm wrong. I would love to try this out.
Originally Posted by GSJake
I think you did a great job. Who in you area has a sporty lexo putting down that much power. I am not talking IS-F either. These cars came with a great blend of class\luxury\speed. You just made it class\speed\luxury.
I am going to be following this path soon (waiting on revised headers from PE) and I am looking for results like this. Also like Rock said.. you need a tad more.. drop in a 50 shot!
Thanks Jake, I remember couple years ago there was a gs400 who was spraying around i believe and heard 100 shot and ran mid 12's at the track, but haven't seen him around for awhile now. I've even raced him back then when i still had my low 13's civic eg N/A. I was pretty shocked when he pulled me on the hwy about three cars. seriously at that moment i fell in love with the 2GS. And now that i'm here i wanna shock a couple people too..lol and believe me i've done that already. So yeah, NITROUS sounds like a great idea.
You'll love this setup and GL on your path to the upper 200whp 200wtq 4.3L
and keep us updated.
Old 04-24-10, 05:32 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks man, I appreciated it. It definitely has been a source of pride of mine. Much like your GS, I'm never happy. Thanks for the nice pics, yeah it is a 62'. Soon that falcon will be shredding them tires off. Hopefully I'll see you next weekend at the Lex meet..!
Old 04-25-10, 11:06 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I took it off after I got into an accident... took out all aftermarket stuff, and I'm in the process of putting everything back in. I didn't realize how much work is involved when trying to do all the little things I've done to it LOL.

gotta put my ss headers, srt intake, ls400 bbk, stereo and speakers... etc...

eventually, I'll get to do my ls460 projectors low beam and projector fogs. I already did the LSD (so worth it when you have more power).
Old 04-25-10, 11:19 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

lol yeah 306whp wouldn't be bad at all. MISTAKE for sure.

BTW Rock, how are your headers doing? any sign's of cracks yet? Now that i got these on i'm starting to wounder when will they let go.
The good news is, it's now easier to replace...removing the stock manifold is the one that is difficult. Now, you can easily take on and off the headers.
Old 04-25-10, 12:08 PM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's pretty ironic.. Do you by chance know anyone in or around NASCAR?
I don't know anyone in the NASCAR scene, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 04-25-10, 01:32 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks man, I appreciated it. It definitely has been a source of pride of mine. Much like your GS, I'm never happy. Thanks for the nice pics, yeah it is a 62'. Soon that falcon will be shredding them tires off. Hopefully I'll see you next weekend at the Lex meet..!
Yeah i'm definitely looking forward to your falcon project. What numbers are you expecting? Lexus meet sounds like fun, hope i can get that day off.
I took it off after I got into an accident... took out all aftermarket stuff, and I'm in the process of putting everything back in. I didn't realize how much work is involved when trying to do all the little things I've done to it LOL.

gotta put my ss headers, srt intake, ls400 bbk, stereo and speakers... etc...

eventually, I'll get to do my ls460 projectors low beam and projector fogs. I already did the LSD (so worth it when you have more power).

Oh i see, did you ever dyno'd yours before? NUmbers please and do you have a dyno sheet i can look at to compare the powerband to mines? Your's a 430 right. I'm gonna most definitly get lsd in here sooner or later but still deciding if i wanna keep the 3.9gearing or go back to the 3.2gears. I hate not being able to go over 135mph. Sam what diff do you have in yours?

The good news is, it's now easier to replace...removing the stock manifold is the one that is difficult. Now, you can easily take on and off the headers.
I'm glad to hear this, i've looked under and there sure looks like alot more room to work around that's for sure.
Old 04-25-10, 01:45 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Oh i see, did you ever dyno'd yours before? NUmbers please and do you have a dyno sheet i can look at to compare the powerband to mines? Your's a 430 right. I'm gonna most definitly get lsd in here sooner or later but still deciding if i wanna keep the 3.9gearing or go back to the 3.2gears. I hate not being able to go over 135mph. Sam what diff do you have in yours?

I did a dyno with SRT intake, no SS back then. I posted that somewhere here.

I'm doing Stock gs430 gear on my LSD for the same reason you cited,and for future power increases. Although, RMMGS4 mentioned that his car seems to hit the power range better with the supra auto gear (same gearing as rock). I don't know if Glenn is describing his sweat spot pre-supercharging or not. Hopefully he reads this and comment.

My stocky is not really taking advantage of the LSD on gs430 gear, unless brake torqued... but I did it because the SS and SRT will be back in. Also, I feel that we no longer need VSC as it's more of a detriment to performance than anything else after installing LSD (except during rainy season LOL).
Old 04-25-10, 02:21 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

I did a dyno with SRT intake, no SS back then. I posted that somewhere here.

I'm doing Stock gs430 gear on my LSD for the same reason you cited,and for future power increases. Although, RMMGS4 mentioned that his car seems to hit the power range better with the supra auto gear (same gearing as rock). I don't know if Glenn is describing his sweat spot pre-supercharging or not. Hopefully he reads this and comment.

My stocky is not really taking advantage of the LSD on gs430 gear, unless brake torqued... but I did it because the SS and SRT will be back in. Also, I feel that we no longer need VSC as it's more of a detriment to performance than anything else after installing LSD (except during rainy season LOL).
NIce what brand lsd do you have? And yes i agree with you on the VSC. Will have to look up your dyno.

After the headers bolted on, reaching cut-off is much quicker then before and that takes the fun away. Also every time it shifts the rpm drops to above where i make most hp and tq. now that doesn't seem like a good thing does it? If you mentioned that the supra diff drops it into the powerband everytime the car shifts then that's what i'm looking for. It's been awhile since i had my stock gears in to remember but from what i can recall is after going into 3rd and 4th the car feels great in those gears. now could it be the longer gears putting the engine into the power band at that time, I don't know. But i can say that with the 3.9gears i don't really feel that even with the setup that i have now. The 3rd gear just zips by like nothing and then 4th last a little longer and 5th tops out at 135 in no time at all. I guess i'm gonna try to look for a supra diff, but in the mean time i'm gonna throw my stock diff back in and see how it responds to my new mods and tune.
Old 04-26-10, 07:51 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Denut-L, I figured I'd share my last year's dyno sheet with you. These figures may go up with the re-tune by going to a more experienced (with our cars) shop and to the fact that last year's dyno session I had cats that were on their way out...which hurts performance and gas mileage.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
4-11-09 Dyno.pdf (28.0 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 04-26-10 at 07:53 AM. Reason: added attachement

Quick Reply: Dyno 4/15/10