Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Checking Auto Tranny Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 04:35 PM
Trav7414
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might have to put more in because the first time I drain about 3 and second drain after 3k miles I put in only 2.
Old 05-13-09, 05:59 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Take the car for a drive... come back to leveled area and put the car in park with engine on. Clean stick and check to see if it is in hot or close to it. Also check the fluid to see if it is burnt...if so, consider changing the fluid agian...and even change the filter too if u must.

Originally Posted by Trav7414
I might have to put more in because the first time I drain about 3 and second drain after 3k miles I put in only 2.
Old 05-13-09, 07:12 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

mine always reads higher than hot level... sigh i think im putting to much in =/ haha
Old 05-13-09, 07:14 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sam430
Take the car for a drive... come back to leveled area and put the car in park with engine on. Clean stick and check to see if it is in hot or close to it. Also check the fluid to see if it is burnt...if so, consider changing the fluid agian...and even change the filter too if u must.
the tranny filter isnt really like the oil filter.. instead of some type of synthetic clothe, the tranny filter is just a wire mesh that filters out large metal pieces.. when i had my SC400 i changed it at 150k miles and i didnt see anything in the mesh. but yea u can change the tranny filter if u want.. peace of mind.
Old 05-13-09, 07:20 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey it's "Vince" right?

Besides the screen mesh, there are magnets in the bottom of the pan. That's where I saw sludgy gunk that could of had some metal particles in it. It's a pain to drop the pan because of the silicon holding it in place. I'd just flush the tranny and replace it with Amsoil. My e-shift got a lot smoother with the synthetic and the auto shifts were crisper as well.

Also drain out some of your fluid if you are too high when hot. Your tranny will like you for it and you should feel the difference in shifting, etc.

Glen
Old 05-13-09, 07:24 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Trav7414
I guarranty if you put in 2 bottles and let the engine running and then check, it would not even half way between hot and cold level. You would need close to 3 bottles to get it close to the Hot level.

I don't know why, but my first drain I measure that it was about 3qrts and then I put in 3qrtz just because what you take out you should put in, but I realize the manual said 1.9, so I pump out some just to meet the spec. So as of now I still don't know exactly how to check the level. I just put in 2 bottles and forget about checking it.
Well it really depends did you check your level before you drain? It's not really true about what you take out you put in, cause before it might have been overfilled unless you checked.
After you drained your fluids and filled with 1.9qts. start the engine shift through the gears waiting 3-4 sec between each gear, do that like two to three times then go and check your fluid level it should be at the bottom mark cold. Now drive it around for like 10 mins or so then check again, of course on a flat surface and with the engine running and shifter in park, the fluids should be at the hot mark.
if not add to it depending how low it is from the hot mark. if it's between the hot and cold then add half a qt. if 3/4 then add 1/4 qts. 1/4 then add 3/4 qts.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-09, 07:32 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
the tranny filter isnt really like the oil filter.. instead of some type of synthetic clothe, the tranny filter is just a wire mesh that filters out large metal pieces.. when i had my SC400 i changed it at 150k miles and i didnt see anything in the mesh. but yea u can change the tranny filter if u want.. peace of mind.
Yeah, you really don't need to change the filter. I eluded to it because he may have been driving it hard with not enough oil...may have caused some shavings. If the filter is clogged..then **** rolls down hill. So it's a good idea to check to see if it's burned and figure out how responsive the tranny were during the time frame to see if you might check out how clogged or not it currently are. But, I agree... no one really ever change their tranny filter.
Old 05-13-09, 07:50 PM
Trav7414
Intermediate

Thanks all for your kind replies and recommendations. But I think my tranny fluid level should be ok, but I will check it again just to be in the safe side.
Old 05-13-09, 08:34 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Hey it's "Vince" right?

Besides the screen mesh, there are magnets in the bottom of the pan. That's where I saw sludgy gunk that could of had some metal particles in it. It's a pain to drop the pan because of the silicon holding it in place. I'd just flush the tranny and replace it with Amsoil. My e-shift got a lot smoother with the synthetic and the auto shifts were crisper as well.

Also drain out some of your fluid if you are too high when hot. Your tranny will like you for it and you should feel the difference in shifting, etc.

Glen

yup thats me

yea i noticed the magnet collected a lot of metal particles but nothing serious. i found that using a flat head and carefully tapping it inbetween the pan and the tranny helps.. just gotta becarefull not to scratch the surface. I believe others used a wire to cut the gasket? I think i should consider changing mind out just to clean the magnets.. maybe. also i might switch to Amsoil when i run out of T4.
Old 05-14-09, 01:15 AM
normanr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for all your replies this looks like a very good forum (Plenty of replies) the one in the UK isn't very busy takes a long time to get a reply and then perhaps only one in fact a lot of posts go un-answered

Norman
Old 05-18-09, 03:31 AM
SPL FREEK
Driver

i was always to by the "dealer" to check while the engine was running.