Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Whats better, SRT+ECU or K&N+NEO?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08, 12:56 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great opinion guys, I'm going to go the K&N neo route, does anyone know anyone in the So cali area who can tune the Apexi neo, or anyone have settings that you can share thanks
Old 09-06-08, 02:48 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ifly...buy a custom plug and play harness from Boomslang.us. It becomes a much cleaner install as opposed to hacking into your factory harness. When you sell the car eventually the buyer would never know you had this mod! GL!

I too have this setup and as soon as I get my S&S headers it will also be time for some new Torque Master spark plugs...then it's back to the dyno for a re-tune of the Neo!
Old 09-13-08, 12:41 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
it's back to the dyno for a re-tune of the Neo!
Are you going to try to make your CAI extension work? I think the issue with it not working is that the tuner is only changing your setting at WOT. Please correct mr if I'm wrong because if I am, then that means srt piping does not work with neo.
Old 09-15-08, 12:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

K&N, and any other oiled filter, will mess up your MAF.
Old 09-15-08, 12:43 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I chose about 3 mos. ago to ditch JUST the K&N filter. I changed to Amsoil's dry media nanotechnolgy filter; it has more surface area yet still fits, fliters better, no more oiling and works great. Highly recommended!
Old 09-15-08, 04:44 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Maybe if you put the filter on full of oil runing down, that's why you let the oil dry out. Even then I think the chance of that happening are very low.
Old 09-15-08, 05:16 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
you've no idea what you're talking about. I've run K&N's on all 3 of my cars so far (previous maxima and ML430 and current GS300), cleaning and oiling them twice each in the time i had them (appx. 1.5 years each car) and have never once had a problem, even on the fussy mercedes V8. Like fonzy said, if you're functionally retarded and put your filter in with any kind of liquid dripping from it obviously you're running a risk. Let it dry properly, AS STATED IN THE CLEANING/OILING KIT DIRECTIONS, and you will not have a problem.
Old 09-15-08, 09:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
you've no idea what you're talking about. I've run K&N's on all 3 of my cars so far (previous maxima and ML430 and current GS300), cleaning and oiling them twice each in the time i had them (appx. 1.5 years each car) and have never once had a problem, even on the fussy mercedes V8. Like fonzy said, if you're functionally retarded and put your filter in with any kind of liquid dripping from it obviously you're running a risk. Let it dry properly, AS STATED IN THE CLEANING/OILING KIT DIRECTIONS, and you will not have a problem.
Oh really? I had a brand new K&N filter installed on my GS430. It was out of the box, I never re-oiled it, and had it installed properly, not upside down like someone suggested.

A while later my engine started "pinging". I had a long thread on it in the 2GS forum. Eventually it turned out my MAF had some build up on the hot wire. Cleaned it off, and threw the POS K&N out, will never touch one again with a six foot pole.
Old 09-16-08, 09:42 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Oh really? I had a brand new K&N filter installed on my GS430. It was out of the box, I never re-oiled it, and had it installed properly, not upside down like someone suggested.

A while later my engine started "pinging". I had a long thread on it in the 2GS forum. Eventually it turned out my MAF had some build up on the hot wire. Cleaned it off, and threw the POS K&N out, will never touch one again with a six foot pole.
and did you happen to run the bead of the little included tube of filter seal grease in the channel around the outside of the filter as directed or were you too ignorant to do that (correctly) too?
Old 09-16-08, 06:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
and did you happen to run the bead of the little included tube of filter seal grease in the channel around the outside of the filter as directed or were you too ignorant to do that (correctly) too?
Since it was in 2005, I dont remember, but I usually follow directions, and if it was included, I would've done it.

In any case, the greasy buildup on the hot wire of my MAF sensor didn't pop out of blue sky. And if you're going to make a habbit of addressing people the way you do, you wont make too many friends on here.
Old 09-16-08, 06:35 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Since it was in 2005, I dont remember, but I usually follow directions, and if it was included, I would've done it.

In any case, the greasy buildup on the hot wire of my MAF sensor didn't pop out of blue sky. And if you're going to make a habbit of addressing people the way you do, you wont make too many friends on here.
I use K&N in my 2006 350Z roadster and my 99 GS300 (in the winter). I never have any problems nor do I have any codes pop. You might want to check with a mechanic, something sounds strange there.

Any please, be cool. Lots of really smart motorheads on this site that are really willing to help.

GL!!
Old 09-16-08, 07:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
I use K&N in my 2006 350Z roadster and my 99 GS300 (in the winter). I never have any problems nor do I have any codes pop. You might want to check with a mechanic, something sounds strange there.

Any please, be cool. Lots of really smart motorheads on this site that are really willing to help.

GL!!
Well, every MAF sensor is different, and some might be more or less sensitive that the other. Some vehicles do not even have MAFs, they have MAP sensors, so for these its not even an issue.

GS430 in particular has a hot wire MAF, with a wire that heats up to 400 degrees I believe. And then you have your engine sucking in air that is filtered through an oiled filter, so small oil particles are bound to stick to that heated wire.

And I'm far from being the only one with such issue. Just do a google search, many people experienced it on different vehicles.
Old 09-16-08, 07:44 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the GS3 and only buy 6 poppers (350Z, GS300, Ford Edge) so I imagine I also don't ahve the same heat output.
Old 09-16-08, 09:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Heated MAF doesn't vary based on amount of cylinders. One day when you're maintaining your K&N filter, see if your filter feels a bit oily past the filter, and take a close look at the wire in your MAF (if your car has that).

You might be surprised.

Also, dont forget, that even if a tiny amount of oil gets onto that wire, it will attract more dirt. The tiny particles that manage to escape through the filter will stick and bake onto the hot, oily wire.
Old 09-17-08, 08:35 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had the K& N drop in panel filter on my GS400 for 7 years & counting (purchase the car in 2000). It has been flawless.. One must lightly re-oil the filter element during cleaning. If you guys are looking for a reuseable panel filter that does not require oiling, purchase the Blitz reuseable panel filter.. This filter is availble for both GS300 & GS400 models

http://www.blitz-performance.com/ind...&sort=1&page=1

Quick Reply: Whats better, SRT+ECU or K&N+NEO?