Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Makeover time!! GS400TT upgrade/build has begun (pic happy)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 07:50 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AG4
Twin Turbo....
wow....i was unaware anyone besides Ricky had a tt v-8. im reading your threads now so will comment on YOUR build thread. nice wide body tt v-8 though
Old 06-02-09, 09:45 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just do a search for "twin turbo" in the 2GS section. There are a few guys on here (maybe 6) with TT GS4's. A few in MD I believe.
Old 06-02-09, 12:26 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
wow....i was unaware anyone besides Ricky had a tt v-8. im reading your threads now so will comment on YOUR build thread. nice wide body tt v-8 though
Actually, if you look onto the SC site, there are a bunch of TT'd vehicles, some of them are V-8 but older style motor w/o vvt-i. PM me if you wanna check out a site with crazy SC'd and TT'd 1UZ's.
Old 06-02-09, 01:51 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool HI98GS!!! [I'm one of those SC folks]
It's great seeing ppls doing the UZ up right!
Build thread
Or my picture laden blog is in my sig.--->
Old 06-02-09, 06:42 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

how do you like the ipt trans
Old 06-02-09, 07:07 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

forgot also what fuel rails are those the wolfkazt rails and is that engine manegement working for you looking for a good controller i just did the fuel upgrade as well but made my own hanger but having problems with the tank leaking need to trace were and if your like me your never going to be done lol....
Old 06-03-09, 10:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by KiPod
Just do a search for "twin turbo" in the 2GS section. There are a few guys on here (maybe 6) with TT GS4's. A few in MD I believe.
will do sir....thanks

Originally Posted by HI98GS
Actually, if you look onto the SC site, there are a bunch of TT'd vehicles, some of them are V-8 but older style motor w/o vvt-i. PM me if you wanna check out a site with crazy SC'd and TT'd 1UZ's.
well...we need some 430 turboes now....besides the 1 i know of...
Old 06-03-09, 06:08 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tom steele
forgot also what fuel rails are those the wolfkazt rails and is that engine manegement working for you looking for a good controller i just did the fuel upgrade as well but made my own hanger but having problems with the tank leaking need to trace were and if your like me your never going to be done lol....
The fuel rails are from TTC performance. Talk with Eric Lemoine, he's got the goods.

Vi-PEC V88 works flawlessly on everything you want it to control

Fuel pump hangar setup works great!!
Old 06-03-09, 10:58 PM
Hudini
Lead Lap

Keeping in mind that this build is purely on love...done in Hawaii and no sponsorship. Ricky could have taken the easy route and dumped the GS for a GTR and called it a day. His commitment to his once new first purchased Lux GS400 98 is what makes this build so special!
Old 06-04-09, 01:14 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hudini
Keeping in mind that this build is purely on love...done in Hawaii and no sponsorship. Ricky could have taken the easy route and dumped the GS for a GTR and called it a day. His commitment to his once new first purchased Lux GS400 98 is what makes this build so special!
Thanks for the props. This is the second car I have owned. Unlike most, I tend to keep my cars for a while. My first car was a 1990 Acura Integra LS. Learned a lot from it. Went through 3 engines, 4 trannies, and bunches of clutches. Built the motor to rev past 8.5k rpm. It was pretty darn fast..... for an NA 4 banger. Bought my lexus brand new in December 1998 and have progressed since then. I remember swearing to myself that I don't see ever needing or wanting more than 300 hp. Well I guess I was wrong.

As far as sponsorship, I would just have to say that if it wasn't for a very good buddy who kept good on his bet/word, the car wouldn't have come along as it has. I still remember him saying, "yeah, yeah, whatever! get the turbo and I'll put it in. If you have the ***** to ask your wife to let you get it." and he laughed thinking it wasn't gonna happen. I called him the next day and told him to get the lift ready for me. He didn't believe me until all the parts started arriving at his shop. Thanks for everything "D"

As for the GTR. Hell yeah it's a nice car, but 70+K for a Nissan? and it still won't hold the kids comfortably in the back seat, so no way was that gonna happen. But the Mercedes AMG wagon and R class was almost a reality. You gotta let me tell ya about that one. Give me a buzz.

Last edited by HI98GS; 06-04-09 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-04-09, 01:54 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HI98GS,

Can I ask how the built tranny from IPT performs? Does it shift correctly with boost? Does it hesistate between shifts? Is it very jerky?
Old 06-04-09, 05:15 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stevechumo
HI98GS,

Can I ask how the built tranny from IPT performs? Does it shift correctly with boost? Does it hesistate between shifts? Is it very jerky?
It shifts correctly and very deliberately. No hesitation between shifts, actually when the car is in the M mode, the shifts are much quicker than my last tranny ( I did have a valve body upgrade on my last tranny and the shifts were definitely quicker than stock) It can be "jerky" if I try to shift while the car is in "mid boost" in that I mean when I am upshifting and let my foot off the gas so there isn't a rise in boost. Overall, I am very happy with it.

I will say this though, if I get on it hard, the car downshifts quickly and the next thing you know is that you're making a nice impression on the headrest!!
Old 06-15-09, 10:30 AM
al-ex-us
Driver

I am just now catching wind of this 400TT everyone has been buzzing about. As a side note, I must ask: what suspension set-up do you have? I'm curious!
Old 06-15-09, 10:43 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the description. I'm sure you're very happy with the overal result. It's a rare project. I'll rebuild my tranny soon so I can up the boost.
Old 06-19-09, 10:24 AM
gs400 civi
Lead Lap

hey ricky i have some questions for you about your internals etc. i'll pm you.

Quick Reply: Makeover time!! GS400TT upgrade/build has begun (pic happy)