Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Makeover time!! GS400TT upgrade/build has begun (pic happy)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 10:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by HI98GS
I thought I posted this once, but here it is for ya! This is the old turbo's in action with the new motor. Let's just say they weren't up to the task.
i think u did post that....i meant when you get the new snails and everything done, when you get on the dyno to get us some new video

Originally Posted by PHML
Should have done this a long time ago ....make this thread Sticky!!!
NICE...ricky got a sticky (sounds like a dirty friday night)
Old 05-18-09, 03:02 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=sakataj;4531703]i think u did post that....i meant when you get the new snails and everything done, when you get on the dyno to get us some new video

My bad . Definitely will get another video.

BTW car goes to the shop today to get the turbo's replaced. If I am lucky, then will get dyno very soon.
Old 05-20-09, 10:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

My bad . Definitely will get another video.

BTW car goes to the shop today to get the turbo's replaced. If I am lucky, then will get dyno very soon.
cool...cant wait sir. good luck
Old 05-29-09, 01:48 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

So here's the latest update. Went to the dyno 2 nights ago and ran into a few problems.
1. internal wastegate swing valve was "frozen" we worked on it and it would intermittently work correctly, but it was such a B#### because when it worked we got good pulls and crap when it didn't

2. Coil plug crapped out during one of the runs and the car was running only on 7 cyilinders (decent power 340 RWHP) Had to run home to get a old one. Tried to get one from PHML's car, but it wasn't the same part. Thanks for the effort Pete.

3. Just when everything seemed to go well, the fuel pressure was unstable at 75 psi and dropped quickly to 60 while on boost. Car ran lean up top (6-7K) Identified the problem as the connection from fuel pump in the tank was slipping off.

So final dyno of the night netted 425 RWHP at 12-14 psi. There is more to be gotten, but couldn't fix the problems at 1 am. And we were getting tired. So another dyno will be done to finish it off.

Here's a video of one of the last runs.

Last edited by HI98GS; 07-06-10 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 02:30 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

So here's the latest update. Went to the dyno 2 nights ago and ran into a few problems.
1. internal wastegate swing valve was "frozen" we worked on it and it would intermittently work correctly, but it was such a B#### because when it worked we got good pulls and crap when it didn't

2. Coil plug crapped out during one of the runs and the car was running only on 7 cyilinders (decent power 340 RWHP) Had to run home to get a old one. Tried to get one from PHML's car, but it wasn't the same part. Thanks for the effort Pete.

3. Just when everything seemed to go well, the fuel pressure was unstable at 75 psi and dropped quickly to 60 while on boost. Car ran lean up top (6-7K) Identified the problem as the connection from fuel pump in the tank was slipping off.

So final dyno of the night netted 425 RWHP at 15-16 psi. There is more to be gotten, but couldn't fix the problems at 1 am. And we were getting tired. So another dyno will be done to finish it off.

Here's a video of one of the last runs.

nice job ricky. cant wait to see another dyno when you get all issues resolved. think you'll hit 600 when you get everything worked out and all problems fixed? what is your goal btw?

still waiting on you to ship that bad boy over for a race against jeff hehehe be a hella race
Old 05-29-09, 04:53 PM
Hudini
Lead Lap

Nice Ricky!! I may be dropping by this summer. Need a ride and I need a rematch at Aiea bowl!
Old 05-29-09, 10:28 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hudini
Nice Ricky!! I may be dropping by this summer. Need a ride and I need a rematch at Aiea bowl!
Yeah!! Rematch!! But you buy the food this time. I'll get the drinks.
Old 05-29-09, 11:33 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Awesome build man. Nice to see that it's finally up and running now. A TT V8 is something that I've always wanted to do, but hey at least I still have 6 cylinders of fun for now . Also, keep one thing in mind if you haven't addressed it yet. The motor mounts....the stock ones won't last very long under stress. I'm developing a set of polyurethane and also solid mounts for the 2JZ in the GS, I don't think it's compatible with the v8 though. If it is then I'll let you test out a set when I finish them. Also, keep a careful eye out for the tranny and the ATF temps. I assume you have a very good transmission cooler setup correct? I have two big 14"x14" trans coolers on my car and the trans still gets a bit warm at times.

Stuff that I've broken on the quest of higher HP:
I popped one of my mounts with one of my infamous 4500rpm stall launches
Also, I just killed my trans 2 days ago running on full boost(33psi). Completely roasted the 3rd gear clutch packs so I gota pull the trans out and rebuild the 3rd gear clutches. My tranny is crazy overbuilt as well, but I guess I just put a little too much power through it too often lol. Luckily I know how to do it myself so it only costs me about $100 or so in parts. Hopefully you have better luck with your high dollar IPT trans, but still keep an eye out and don't abuse the hell out of it all the time...which is hard I know. Trust me I know
Old 05-30-09, 12:31 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Awesome build man. Nice to see that it's finally up and running now. A TT V8 is something that I've always wanted to do, but hey at least I still have 6 cylinders of fun for now . Also, keep one thing in mind if you haven't addressed it yet. The motor mounts....the stock ones won't last very long under stress. I'm developing a set of polyurethane and also solid mounts for the 2JZ in the GS, I don't think it's compatible with the v8 though. If it is then I'll let you test out a set when I finish them. Also, keep a careful eye out for the tranny and the ATF temps. I assume you have a very good transmission cooler setup correct? I have two big 14"x14" trans coolers on my car and the trans still gets a bit warm at times.

Stuff that I've broken on the quest of higher HP:
I popped one of my mounts with one of my infamous 4500rpm stall launches
Also, I just killed my trans 2 days ago running on full boost(33psi). Completely roasted the 3rd gear clutch packs so I gota pull the trans out and rebuild the 3rd gear clutches. My tranny is crazy overbuilt as well, but I guess I just put a little too much power through it too often lol. Luckily I know how to do it myself so it only costs me about $100 or so in parts. Hopefully you have better luck with your high dollar IPT trans, but still keep an eye out and don't abuse the hell out of it all the time...which is hard I know. Trust me I know
I hear ya!. Well I was assured that the tranny can handle 800 HP. The reason they quoted this number is that is what some drag car setups are doing with this particular build on the tranny. They tear apart the transmission at the end of a few races and noted that everything is still ok. Sounded good enough for me since I wasn't really trying to go for the 800 HP mark.

The motor mount thing, I just have to keep changing em from time to time. I really don't want to put polyurethane ones in just because of the fact that it will cause way too much vibration. I thought about this before. I think that I will just try to fabricate a bracket that goes around the mount so it restricts the movement of too much stretching so it doesn't rip.

BTW here is a comparison of Dyno pulls from my first to the most recent. So much difference with tuning even just the speed of the pulls shows the difference of power!!

Last edited by HI98GS; 05-30-09 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-30-09, 01:19 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep, a good tune on any car but especially a FI car will make all the difference in the world. Did you ever reveal what engine management you were using? I was curious about that because I "was" going to start on a GS400/430TT project as well. Hell, I have enough spare parts in my garage to build one right now lol. I also have an extra AEM EMS which would be able to drive the UZ motor perfectly. BUT...Instead I picked up a GS300 SportDesign and I'm just using it as a daily driver lol. I tune cars for people so I'm just curious what system you used. AEM EMS, Haltech Platinum Sport, and Motec M800 would all work well on the GS4.

I'm taking my car on the dyno and going to tune it on a load bearing Dyno Dynamics dyno. Hoping to pick up about 100hp+ up top. Since my new turbo was installed, the car hasn't seen any dyno time. Right now my timing is pretty conservative because all the tuning I've done up to this point on this turbo has been on the street. BTW: I run a custom harnessed AEM EMS on mine.
Old 05-30-09, 01:31 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That is one amazing build... love the sound!
Old 05-30-09, 02:02 AM
AG4
Rookie

Twin Turbo....
Attached Thumbnails Makeover time!!  GS400TT upgrade/build has begun (pic happy)-abk_sized.jpg  

Last edited by AG4; 05-30-09 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-30-09, 02:08 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Engine management is Vi-PEC V88.
Here is a link. http://www.vi-pec.com/page_files/V88.html

I got this because it fully controls everything and anything that I want. Especially the VVT-i. We also have it set up to increase the dwell on the coil at higher rpm and boost. That way the coil isn't being abused on low rpm where it doesn't need to be fully charged to work efficiently.

We will soon get the setup to control the secondary butterflies as well as adjusting voltage to the dual fuel pump system to run like the stock setup (lower voltage at idle and higher voltage when needed)
Old 05-30-09, 12:28 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A tranny on the boosted V8 will be broken easier than the boosted inline 6. The monster torque at low end is what kills it. I just broke my stock tranny a week right after I boosted my SC4 to 13 lbs, although I had an extra tranny cooler. Hopefully your built tranny will hold well.
Old 06-02-09, 07:49 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AG4
Twin Turbo....
wow....i was unaware anyone besides ricky had a tt v-8. im reading your threads now so will comment on YOUR build thread. nice wide body tt v-8 though

Quick Reply: Makeover time!! GS400TT upgrade/build has begun (pic happy)