Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I drilled

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 06:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by machefai
Notice any difference in the engine response or torque?
Nothing you do to your intake (short of something like spraying nitrous into it) will make a noticeable difference in that regard on the 2IS.
Old 04-18-11, 06:55 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't taken it for a test run yet. I'll keep you posted
Old 04-18-11, 07:05 PM
machefai
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ApokC
I haven't taken it for a test run yet. I'll keep you posted
Thanks Apoc, curious to hear what you think. Great work on the box cut by the way. Dremel? That's some serious plastic, huh?
Old 04-18-11, 08:16 PM
wzin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
And thats a great way of knowing that you are getting an "Authentic" product designed by me...

Joe Z
o dam, its the legendary joE Z! i though joe z was just a brandname, not a real person, loll >< anyways,

HEY! i live in canada, richmond hill, do you charge extra for shipping fees? do you even ship to my area?
How many business days will it take to ship here? Do you include the step by step instructions on how to install?
Old 04-18-11, 09:32 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Wzin just got excited haha

So I test drove it. Feel a slight increas in pull after 3k rpm. And ya, dremel with metal blade made quick work or that plastic
Old 04-19-11, 06:26 AM
machefai
Driver

So I test drove it. Feel a slight increas in pull after 3k rpm. And ya, dremel with metal blade made quick work or that plastic
Nice! Thanks for the update! Did you notice any loss of response or pull in the lower band?
Old 04-19-11, 07:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So I test drove it. Feel a slight increas in pull after 3k rpm.

You really don't.

You hear a difference after 3k though (which is the most common remark from folks who put the F-sport intake on too) and you confuse that with an increase in power.

No 2IS intake adds enough power to make enough difference to 'feel'- and simply drilling a hole in the airbox certainly wouldn't... but a lot of folks confuse "louder" with 'faster'

But I'd bet good money with earplugs you'd be unable to tell me which intake was which, including stock, in a blind (rather deaf) comparison test.
Old 04-19-11, 12:55 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ I can't confuse loudness with power when I just said earlier that I can't hear any difference.

I run F sport exhaust + Invidia w/ Joe-Z intake...
Old 04-20-11, 09:06 PM
wzin
Rookie

i finally ordered the joe z from the states today, so it'll be a week or so before it arrives and i'll install my first mod =)

any other suggestions for my next mod? shout them out plz =)!!
Old 04-20-11, 09:23 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wzin
i finally ordered the joe z from the states today, so it'll be a week or so before it arrives and i'll install my first mod =)

any other suggestions for my next mod? shout them out plz =)!!
Good luck getting it in a week or so. If you ordered black there's a slim chance you'll have it in a couple. Polished and blue are 3-4 weeks for current orders, more if you're just now placing one...
Old 04-21-11, 02:31 PM
wzin
Rookie

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Good luck getting it in a week or so. If you ordered black there's a slim chance you'll have it in a couple. Polished and blue are 3-4 weeks for current orders, more if you're just now placing one...
=O u seriousS? i order the limited edition blue. =( why so long? is joe slacking?
Old 04-21-11, 03:53 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wzin
=O u seriousS? i order the limited edition blue. =( why so long? is joe slacking?
Not slacking... Think he's busy filling orders!
Old 04-29-11, 10:24 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and so I went with Drill Baby Drill and punched out 6 x 1/2" holes where the f-sport lower intake opening is.
Did not make much of a difference, and I might just be hearing the engine a bit more. That's it.
Old 04-29-11, 11:47 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try cutting out a hole like the f sport intake instaed of drilling holes. I guess I don't speed enought to heard the intake :/... I use to heard it every now and then with the 250.... I've only heard it once with the 350.... oh well atleast I didn't pay 300 bucks lol.
Old 05-02-11, 08:02 AM
Doco21
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Wow, I thought this thread died a long time ago. There were other threads that did actual dyno on intakes and there is NO difference in power. IF, like Kurtz mentioned, there is any increase, you most likely will not notice the difference. If you can feel the difference, sign up for any racing team, they'll pay you handsomely for your "skill"(I'm quite serious here.)

I also have an Fsport intake and did a ton of research before buying this. On an old car, I had a Greddy exhaust that drones and I didn't want a repeat.

I'll summarize what I found.
-The car at idle, will same the same.
-At higher RPM, you'll get a more throaty sound that you hear on BMWs (bro owns one.), performance cars, etc.
-The original box was made to have no "noise" at higher RPM and thus, has the fins and no extra holes.
-Lexus knows people who buys the FSport intakes wants the performance sound of the engine w/o it being muffled.
-Do a search and you'll find comparisons with dyno sheets. The differences in performance was so small that changes in elevation, temperature, humidity, would have done the same.

I hope this helps the new people and minimize your searching. The FSport intake is great and so is this mod with the JoeZ intake. It'll have the stock quiet sound around town but will roar very nicely when you floor it. Now if only I can find an exhaust like that...
The following users liked this post:
LexusKnown (02-13-19)

Quick Reply: So I drilled