Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rough tranny shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-02, 01:06 AM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rough tranny shifting?

I would like to know how your GS300 shifts, currently mine shifts pretty rough going from 1st to 2nd gear even when the car is warmed up. When the car is still cold, it's worst, it's a bit better when it's warm, but it's still not as smooth as it should be.

Rough=It would rev high, then shift, then I feel a jerk; kinda slipping feel or it shifts late.

I actually changed my tranny fluid with the Toyota fluid and the differential, with non-Toyota fluid, cause all they had was in the barrel, but still no improvements. I haven't driven my mom's 98 C230 for a while, I drove it today and that thing shifted smoother, that's why I'm concerned.

I am thinking of going syntetic tranny and diff fluids, maybe Redline. Do you think it will work? Any suggestions? Has any of you have any problems with this?
Old 02-04-02, 02:35 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

I get it a little. When I go in for service I am going to make sure they change the tranny fluid.
Old 02-04-02, 06:04 PM
v300
Lead Lap

fasthuh,

This is a common problem in production 1999 GS300s. Consult your dealer regarding a hesitation problem associated with the ECU. I believe there should of been enough complaints regarding the 1999 GS300s hesitation problem to start a nation-wide recall campaign. The dealer should give you a new ECU and shifting should be more crisp. By the way, I was one of the people who got a new ECU.

Also, the factory ATF is pretty good and very durable. Pat Barrett of Level10 recommends the Toyota ATF to other transmissions besides Toyota's.
Old 02-04-02, 06:31 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

I'v had a similar problem on my GS 400 for the past year. My Lexus delership cant figure it out.
Old 02-04-02, 09:45 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Does this happen to you guys, when u press the gas, start accelerating, then Depress the gas, then press it again? Cuz When I step on the gas and start accelerating hard, and let off the gas wait for it to go down then press the gas again, it'll have an abrupt thump sound, kinda like the it slams into the gear, I've read a couple reviews and I think it's a problem with all GS's.

ShOwGS
Old 02-05-02, 12:26 AM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

Thanks for the feedback guys, now I know it's not just me...

Sandrock, I just changed the tranny fluid, but no improvements.

ShowGS, yeah, when I accelerate then let off a bit, it's pretty harsh, what I did notice is, if I turned ON the ECT, it shift a bit smoother. I think cause it stays on the gear a bit longer.

V300, I might just have the dealer check it out, I just hate paying for something that they will do nothing about

...fasthuh

Last edited by fasthuh; 02-05-02 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-05-02, 10:11 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Hey fast, U know what u should try, Idunno if this would work or not, go to a place where u would have enough room.. and drive till u get to 25 MPH then engage the Cruise control and use the accelerator button and hold it down till it switchs through 2 and third gear, and if it engages rough, than ur transmisson is the problem, if not then just test it out, how much u press on the gas and see when it does it the most and try to avoid doing certain things that would make the transmission shift rough, like try to notice when it's gonna shift, and do not press on the gas anymore then ur already at, cuz that could be the source of the problem. Sorry if this doesn't help

ShOwGS
Old 02-05-02, 03:50 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

Default ShowGSLuVv

That is the exact problem I have with my 98 GS 400, Its driving me nuts. I have had that problem for a little over a year 60,000 km. The first time I took it to my dealer they said my Cv's where worn so they replaced them, DIDN'T go away!. Then they said my Diff Mount was cracked so they replaced that! didn't work. Then they told me to flush the transmission Guess What. It didn't stop. I dont think they wil ever figer it out so If anyone can figure it out I will send them a Free CD of some good club music!.
Old 02-05-02, 04:12 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Originally posted by ShowGSLuVv
Does this happen to you guys, when u press the gas, start accelerating, then Depress the gas, then press it again? Cuz When I step on the gas and start accelerating hard, and let off the gas wait for it to go down then press the gas again, it'll have an abrupt thump sound, kinda like the it slams into the gear, I've read a couple reviews and I think it's a problem with all GS's.

ShOwGS

My 2001 IS 300 does than exact same thing, impossible though to duplicate for the technician, very frustrating though, because it does it very randomly.....like once or twice a month, and then just stops, if I turn off the TRAC button it seems to stop, I have asked the dealer about the ECU/TRAC update and says my car does not have the same problems as described in the service bulletin they'll do the 'burn' of the ECU and replace the TRAC control unit, but there all.."it can't be reversed, so if makes it worse, oh well...." Lexus of Portland SUCKS !
Old 02-05-02, 08:00 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Hey LexusNexus, there is no Point for u to try and duplicate the problem to a Lexus service person, because in order to do that, ur gonna have to press the gas, then let off of the gas, and keep playing around with it like that, and when it does happen, the service guy is gonna say, well then dont drive like that and it wont do it....We all know that When we do step on the gas, that the transmisson is so silky smooth but in order to be that silky smooth, they have to design it a little different than a normal transmission : im assuming this fellas, my words aren't written in stone: But in order to do that, it has to have that very slow downshift, so it doesn't jerk the car, but most of us are use to automatic transmissions that downshift faster then our lexus... When the lexus transmission is downshifting, which i heard somewhere on this website that it will upshift and downshift very frequent theres a certain time when it's shifting that it'll actually do something sorta like a small neutral slam... thats what gives u that thump sound Hey fasthuh, the reason why when u turn on the ECT it'll make it a little smoother could be because it downshifts faster, and actually closes that gap where it could have the harsh slam into gear... I kinda got a feel for my car when it'll do that, If i hit the gas then let off of it, i watch the RPMs and when it moves completely down then i'll easy back on the gas instead of letting off the gas, then wait a second and right as soon as it's in the process of downshifting, putting my foot back on it.. if that's not the case then u could have a Loose transmission mount, I know that'll give u a pretty hard slam when u driving the car hard... Sorry if that doesn't help u guys, and listen im gonna say it again, im not an expert on this, These are merely my opinions of what the problems could be, ignore everything i said if u guys think otherwise... goodluck

ShOwGS
Old 02-06-02, 01:48 PM
robertito
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postid=109527
also discusses this problem.

My mechanic had seen this problem a few years ago, and when I presented the same symptoms, he pulled the #38 EFI fuse for five minutes. This was 4 months ago, and I have not had a problem since.

And the basic "hesitation from start" problem stopped, too.
Old 02-06-02, 02:57 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

EFI is that the electronic fuel injection ? #38
Old 02-06-02, 03:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I'm having a bit of a hard time following the explanations, but for what it's worth, as far as I can tell I've never experienced any of the 'thumping' transmission problems you guys are describing on my 2000 GS4.
Old 02-06-02, 03:27 PM
robertito
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

#38, yep, EFI fuel injection. I think he said that the tranny computer 'senses' input from the injector in order to make it's shifting decisions. Hey, it's been four months, and I didn't have a tape recorder. But it worked. My GS300 instantly became the fun car I'd expected.
Old 02-06-02, 05:17 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

One of these days when the weather is nice, im gonna take out all of the fuses, see how much, if any, it'll improve.. LoLoL

ShOwGS

Quick Reply: Rough tranny shifting?