Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 05:33 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I know what you mean. At first they wanted me to replace my throttle body assembly. I said NO!!! I swapped out throttle body and it still didn't fix it, plus I just bought a brand new accelerator pedal sensor. The ecu was actually $1,300. Labor significantly boosted up the bill to $1,823.20. My key is broken and was hoping they would be nice enough to give me a new key for free since they have to reprogram my key, but instead they just taped it with transparent tape....

Originally Posted by az-dave
Sorry to hear it was the main ECU.

This is precisely why I HATE HATE HATE the dealers. You pulled Codes specific to the TPS and Accel Pedal Sensor, not the main ECU. And Lexus cant find that without gouging you multiple times? Pisses me off.

Any rate, Once you didnt have luck with the Lever Assy, VSC/ABS module or throttle Motor I knew it was bad wires or bad ECU...in this case Bad ECU probably easier fix than bad wires.

Glad fixed, sorry it presented with such a bad set of symptoms that even stumped dealer (Ive yet to have dealer actualy suggest proper fix even when paying their ridiculous diag fee.)

Enjoy the vehicle now...it will last a long long long time. I have 255K miles and it still runs awesome and strong.
Old 06-28-12, 04:29 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow...all that $$$ and they wont cut a new Key? - You can buy a blank online and take to a shop that can do "Side-Cut" keys and then move your transponder from the key into the new key, Thats how I did mine, $45 vs $165.

Im amazed that Lexus CANNOT diagnose their own problems...Either techs are not trained, or codes dont mean crap.

Ive heard over and over "Replace this, replace that - hell ANY amature mechanic can do that.

Sorry you spent so much $$$, glad its finally fixed. Overall the Lexus GS is a great car...the problem is when the ECU or a sophisticated system breaks, the same codes are apparently thrown for multiple causes.

Originally Posted by Tuanville
I know what you mean. At first they wanted me to replace my throttle body assembly. I said NO!!! I swapped out throttle body and it still didn't fix it, plus I just bought a brand new accelerator pedal sensor. The ecu was actually $1,300. Labor significantly boosted up the bill to $1,823.20. My key is broken and was hoping they would be nice enough to give me a new key for free since they have to reprogram my key, but instead they just taped it with transparent tape....
Old 06-29-12, 12:07 AM
yaaayouuu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 gs400 and my abs, vcs, vcs off lights are on. The car runs perfectly normal with all power and etc. I push the vcs off button and light stays on. My brakes work fine and it's like everything works except those 3 lights are on. Any clue or fix? Thanks
Old 07-07-12, 09:31 AM
Ice1213
Driver School Candidate

Hello anyone that can help.
I have a 99 GS300 as of a few days ago my abs, vsc, and vsc off light have come on. I checked the codes using a jumper wire from TC to E1. The codes i retrieved are the following;
ABS codes: 11, 21, 22, 23, 24, 53; VSC codes: 33, 43.
I am not sure what these codes mean. I feel that all these codes stem from one problem.
I have no mods done and no recent suspension work done either.
If there is any way that you may be able to help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Old 07-09-12, 09:06 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

yaayouuu: your not in limp mode, so this thread prob wont help you...sounds like your ABS module or one or more of your ABS/VSC relays are bad. My hunch...your Anti-lock brakes are not really working, nor your VSC...get rear tires on wet surface and see if you can peal-out the back tires, if you can roast the tires, your VSC is NOT engaging. Test ABS by slamming on brakes, if you skid-out, ABS isnt working.

Ice: Get real codes from a scanner at an auto store. Also, sounds like your not in Limp mode. See above.

Since neither of you are in "limp" mode, my suggestion: Start a new thread to track your adventure, since this thread is really specific to the limp-mode issue.

Thanks - D
Old 07-09-12, 12:28 PM
KaNsAsKing
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone. I'm having a weird issue with my GS. 98 GS300 180k. When I turn my cruise control on, I notice my cars RPMs will raise a little bit (2-4 seconds) but then it will return to 3000RPM (cruise set at 75MPH). It does this about every 2min or so while in cruise control. My VCS lights are on. Please let me know how to fix this if anyone know
Old 07-10-12, 10:48 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Please no hijacking threads...as "easy" as it may seem to jump onto a thread of a totally unrelated problem...its really better to spend hours searching and researching and posting a new thread where nice people can help you on your specific problem.

It took tons of hours of searching threads when I had my problem, then I created this thread to help others with this specific problem spending lots more hours.

If your not in Limp mode, this isnt the thread for your problem, sorry.

Originally Posted by KaNsAsKing
Hey everyone. I'm having a weird issue with my GS. 98 GS300 180k. When I turn my cruise control on, I notice my cars RPMs will raise a little bit (2-4 seconds) but then it will return to 3000RPM (cruise set at 75MPH). It does this about every 2min or so while in cruise control. My VCS lights are on. Please let me know how to fix this if anyone know
Old 07-14-12, 06:08 PM
Crumvoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Low speed loss of power

2001gs430. At slow speeds, sometimes just beginning to accelerate It will occasionally, suddenly, lose power, like limp mode. when this happens the rpms dip down to around 600-700. It may stop that behavior on its own or I can if I give the thottle pedal a push.

Last year the dealer messed with it for several days and discovered one of the tire was quite low. They aired it up and the behavior stopped, until recently. It's doing it again and the tires are all equally pressurized. . The dealer thought it had something to do with the traction control missreading the one low tire and then reducing power to prevent a skid...

I recently did put a new set of tires on it and I wonder if that may have ticked off something in the system because it seems to be doing it more frequently and I worry about it causing an accident

Friends... Any ideas. By the way I never get any dash lights during the behavior and it does it vsc on or off. Thanks!

I hope this is the right thread. Not trying to hijack

Last edited by Crumvoc; 07-14-12 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 12:44 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

If you were in Limp mode, youd for sure know it, All the VSC and ABS lights come on, and it wouldnt go off until after a full off-restart if that.

In your case, It sounds like your Traction VSC is engaging momentarily and thus cutting power to the TB, next time this happens, listen for the beeping sound and look at the dash where the little squiggly light is indicating tires slipping (its like 2 elongated 'SS' but tall) (basically what the car would do on wet roads if you stomp on the gas, the VSC will engage the Trac control - but the VSC light DOE NOT COME ON, only the Trac light showing the squigglies comes on)

As for your experience with a "certified Lexus dealer" - well, it appears youve received the same level of service I have...basically nadda.

Sad for such a generally well-built car.

Originally Posted by Crumvoc
2001gs430. At slow speeds, sometimes just beginning to accelerate It will occasionally, suddenly, lose power, like limp mode. when this happens the rpms dip down to around 600-700. It may stop that behavior on its own or I can if I give the thottle pedal a push.

Last year the dealer messed with it for several days and discovered one of the tire was quite low. They aired it up and the behavior stopped, until recently. It's doing it again and the tires are all equally pressurized. . The dealer thought it had something to do with the traction control missreading the one low tire and then reducing power to prevent a skid...

I recently did put a new set of tires on it and I wonder if that may have ticked off something in the system because it seems to be doing it more frequently and I worry about it causing an accident

Friends... Any ideas. By the way I never get any dash lights during the behavior and it does it vsc on or off. Thanks!

I hope this is the right thread. Not trying to hijack
Old 07-16-12, 04:09 PM
Crumvoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks

I follow your reasoning except for this: I NEVER get any lights beeps or any indication at all that it is happening at all except for a definite reducion in acceleration and a kind of dead pedal. All further advice much appreciated! It really is a beautiful mechanical object,though!

If you were in Limp mode, youd for sure know it, All the VSC and ABS lights come on, and it wouldnt go off until after a full off-restart if that.

In your case, It sounds like your Traction VSC is engaging momentarily and thus cutting power to the TB, next time this happens, listen for the beeping sound and look at the dash where the little squiggly light is indicating tires slipping (its like 2 elongated 'SS' but tall) (basically what the car would do on wet roads if you stomp on the gas, the VSC will engage the Trac control - but the VSC light DOE NOT COME ON, only the Trac light showing the squigglies comes on)

As for your experience with a "certified Lexus dealer" - well, it appears youve received the same level of service I have...basically nadda.

Sad for such a generally well-built car.
Old 07-17-12, 03:47 PM
Ice1213
Driver School Candidate

yaayouuu: your not in limp mode, so this thread prob wont help you...sounds like your ABS module or one or more of your ABS/VSC relays are bad. My hunch...your Anti-lock brakes are not really working, nor your VSC...get rear tires on wet surface and see if you can peal-out the back tires, if you can roast the tires, your VSC is NOT engaging. Test ABS by slamming on brakes, if you skid-out, ABS isnt working.

Ice: Get real codes from a scanner at an auto store. Also, sounds like your not in Limp mode. See above.

Since neither of you are in "limp" mode, my suggestion: Start a new thread to track your adventure, since this thread is really specific to the limp-mode issue.

Thanks - D
Thanks man and sorry for jumping on this thread.
This may be a stupid question, but how do I start a new thread?
Old 07-22-12, 09:02 AM
GS3TROOPA
Driver School Candidate

Im looking at a trottle body out of a 03 is300. Would that fit my 99gs. Let me kno
Old 07-23-12, 08:53 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Click up one level from this thread to:
Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation > Performance >

Then click "Thread Tools" and then click "Start new Thread" or "Start new Topic"

Originally Posted by Ice1213
Thanks man and sorry for jumping on this thread.
This may be a stupid question, but how do I start a new thread?
Old 07-25-12, 01:38 AM
44wedge
Driver School Candidate

During a 4th of July road trip in my 99 GS 300 I was rolling into Medford, OR when my CEL, VSC / VSC OFF trouble lights came on. I called a Lexus Dealer from the road and they said I most likely have an electronic throttle control system failure of some sort. I took my car to Lindorf's Import Service, Inc. in Medford, OR. They came up with Problem Code P01120 Accelerator Position Sensor but they could not verify it per their shop protocol. They cleaned some wiring harnesses but after a successful 30 mile road test the problem came back. They worked on the car for two days, refused to take a chance on ordering parts that might not be the remedy, and charged me only one hour labor. (Very honest of them if you ask me)

I limped to a friend's home in Talent where did some late night on line research of this dialogue and some others related to problem code P01120 Accelerator Position Sensor. I analyzed my findings (I work as a business analyst) and concluded that the correct part would most likely be the Lever, Throttle Assembly (which includes the Accelerator Position Sensor.) Part No 22060-46010

The next task was to identify an online parts distributor that is geographically close to Medford to minimize shipping time. I chose lithiatoyotaparts.com and ordered the part on Tuesday, July 10. The order was processed within two business days (Thursday, July 12) and the part arrived the next day in Talent, OR on Friday, July 13. ($266.34 + $12.25 s/h: excellent price and turnaround time if you ask me).

In order to remove it I had to partially disassemble the Lever, Throttle Assembly (I removed the pulley that the accelerator cable wraps around by loosening its center mounting bolt.) I was then able to remove the old part and install the new one in about an hour or so.

While driving home to Berkeley, CA I noticed that with the new Lever, Throttle Assembly / Accelerator Position Sensor my throttle response was much “tighter”; the car downshifted with a lesser amount of “punching it”; and that when I took my foot off the accelerator the throttle closed much faster, which enhanced the engine braking.

Noticing the above three functional improvements leads me to believe that the Accelerator Position Sensor was indeed beginning to fail (a decrease in the above three functions) and then during my trip ultimately high operating temperatures caused it to fail completely / function intermittently according to operating temperature.

Therefore, if you are noticing a deterioration in the above three accelerator functions, your Accelerator Position Sensor might be on its way out and may result in your CEL, VSC VSC OFF lights coming on and your vehicle going into limp mode as it did in my case.

Thanks to all posters in this thread, I hope my post helps you as much as yours helped me.
Old 07-25-12, 01:44 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

44wedge - Thanks for the write up. Glad you found an Honest place down in Med...Ive been thru there several times (well more than several) the Rogue River is AWESOME!

Its interesting that you mention sluggish acccel pedal response...something I think all our readers should take note of.

Glad your fixed, and all is working well and that we were able to help you.

Originally Posted by 44wedge
During a 4th of July road trip in my 99 GS 300 I was rolling into Medford, OR when my CEL, VSC / VSC OFF trouble lights came on. I called a Lexus Dealer from the road and they said I most likely have an electronic throttle control system failure of some sort. ...
Thanks to all posters in this thread, I hope my post helps you as much as yours helped me.

Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode