Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU
Every Week
2.28%
Every Couple Weeks
3.64%
Every Month
6.15%
Every Few Months
16.63%
I Haven't Yet :eek:
71.30%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-02, 09:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts
Default Re: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?

Originally posted by Dexter
For the newer members here, this is accomplished by a couple of different ways:

a.) removing the battery cable for a few minutes
b.) pulling the ECU fuse in your fuse box located (in the 4) in the engine compartment near the windshield, passenger side
Can you do a or b, or do you need to do both?

Re: a), which terminal do you need to disconnect?
Old 01-15-02, 09:58 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Re: a), which terminal do you need to disconnect?
I don't think it matters, but I remove the loop from the positive terminal post instead of messin with the red cap cover.
Old 01-15-02, 11:47 AM
JacobT

Dexter,

Because you have the TC installed. Reset the ECU give you instant kick at take off. For people with stock TC, the outcome will not be that obvious.
Old 01-15-02, 12:43 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Rather than to mess around with a wrench each time to remove the battery terminal would the following product be a good choice? At $12 it seems like a good investment for quick and easy way to reset the ECU. Has anyone tried this product?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=77725

Chu...
Old 01-15-02, 01:15 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ChuH
Rather than to mess around with a wrench each time to remove the battery terminal would the following product be a good choice? At $12 it seems like a good investment for quick and easy way to reset the ECU. Has anyone tried this product?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=77725

Chu...
Nah - it takes probaby just as long to turn the **** as it does to turn the socket a few times, and I don't want to add any gadgets into the power flow....but good eye.
Old 01-15-02, 04:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?

One more time...

Can you do a OR b, or do you need to do both?
Old 01-15-02, 04:52 PM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what I got.....either will sufice.
Old 01-15-02, 04:54 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Oh, sorry Bit - yeah, just one will work fine.

I was hoping you'd be singing the praises of 'the reset' when I got the notification!
Old 01-15-02, 05:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Here's an old link < click here > that gives a bit more detail on how to actually pull the fuse and exactly where it is.

One thing that isn't mentioned - once you open up the fuse box, there is a little fuse puller that Lexus nicely provides for you included in the box. The first couple of times I reset mine, I didn't know it was there... it's much easier using it than using your fingers.

I also have the Precision Industries Torque Converter - and can definitely feel a big difference when I reset the ECU.
Old 01-15-02, 06:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks. It seems like pulling the fuse is preferable to unplugging the battery since pulling the fuse won't lose seat memories, radio stations, etc., right? Or is that info all stored in the same ECU!?
Old 01-15-02, 06:18 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it is true, but when you pull the fuse, are you suppose to try to crank the engine a couple of times and then put the fuse back in. My friends used to reset their ECU's on their Hondas and they would pull and then try to start a few times. It worked for them....but then again, Hondas are anywhere near Lexus.
Old 01-15-02, 07:26 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi guys,
this is not a trick,it really works.after you do just try to drive just a little bit more agressively,you will be spinning your tyres so fast ,you'll not believe it.
clive
Old 01-15-02, 08:07 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just did it!

For those who have not yet done this, I can now vouch for the time it takes to recover from pulling the ECU fuse (yes, the radio and seat memory were lost). I pulled the fuse and left it out for about 30 minutes. Then, in between Battlebot rounds and a commercial, I replaced the fuse and cover, reset 6 radio stations (not all), and reset the seat memory (everything was still in the same position). If I also notice the improvement others have noted, I’ll do it once a week – only takes a couple of minutes.

Dexter, thanks for bringing this up – hard to believe that it’s gone unnoticed for over 6 months (since the previous thread). I guess I missed ‘cause I still had the SC and wasn’t visiting the GS forum often and wouldn’t have known what it was all about anyway.

I'll be looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow.
Old 01-15-02, 10:59 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Just had to do it at least once!!!!

Haven't driven it yet since I just pulled it at 10:30 and installed at 11:00 p.m....While I was waiting I was trying to get some freaking ink off of the driver seat I didn't do it..... read about that on the other thread.
Old 01-16-02, 02:58 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Thanks. It seems like pulling the fuse is preferable to unplugging the battery since pulling the fuse won't lose seat memories, radio stations, etc., right? Or is that info all stored in the same ECU!?
Just did it this morning by pulling the fuse. The car feels great. Engine runs free, with it going all the way to redline in auto when I stomped on it to enter a freeway!

Bit, since you have nav also, here's what you'll lose; seat memory, electric clock, trip computer data, last climate setting, and of course the tranny parameters. Your nav memory will be retained, along with your radio stations.

Quick Reply: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?