GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Resetting the ecu?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-01, 03:36 PM
DakaDan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

How do u guys reset the ECU?!?! Do u just pull the negative of the battery? The reason I am asking is, I want my ecu to rev to redline, but because of the adaptive driving crap, it wont. Or is there another way to reset the ECU?

DakaDan

Old 05-17-01, 08:21 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

If you pull your negative on your battery it will reset the ecu.
Old 05-17-01, 08:34 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the negative of the batterie and leave it off for like 10 minutes that would do the trick
Old 05-18-01, 05:40 AM
DakaDan
Rookie

Alright, thanx for the help guys

DakaDan
Old 05-18-01, 07:25 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Cool Another Option

DD - If ya don't want to whip out the tool box, just open the fuse box ( by the passenger's side strut tower ) & remove the yellow 20 amp fuse marked "ECU B" for the same 10-20 minutes that Biggie recommended & it'll do the same thing. U'll need to reset your seat memories afterwards also. I do this at least once a month & it restores the responsiveness & hard launches I want ( but wife doesn't - maybe that adaptive learning is a woman?? ) No offense, Charonne!!!
Old 05-18-01, 09:27 AM
cong28
Lead Lap

I'm pretty new at this guys, so give me some slack. What effects does it have on the car if you reset the ECU?
Old 05-18-01, 09:34 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

You want to reset your ecu each time you add a mod to your car too. The reason DakaDan wanted to rest his is becuase of the adaptive driving. If you reset the ecu you computer is going to relearn how you drive the car. The only bad thing is you will loose your preset radio stations/time/membory seats etc...not that big of a deal though
Old 05-18-01, 09:43 AM
cong28
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot Black_IS300.
Old 05-18-01, 10:16 AM
fierce gs
Pole Position

after the first 1,000 miles (break in period), i constantly drove my car hard and now whenever i hit the throttle very lightly, you could kinda feel it jump. this is cause the computer thinks im going to slam on it, so it gets ready to make my car shoot out, but then it sees i did something retarded and only hit the gas lightly, so it gets stuck for a second and u kinda feel it jump -=)..the jump you feel on very slow take offs is a good trade off for the faster fast take offs and higher rpm gear changes...just wanted to share that with you guys incase theres any other drivers with my driving habits that always wondered why you feel it jump when u do slow take offs (very slow). i always wondered what the prob was until i took it to lexus and they enlightened me..

hope that helped someone,
fierce
Old 05-18-01, 11:16 AM
Lex-Toyo
Driver School Candidate

I just reset my ECU and my seat "memory" started working again. It stopped working before, although the power seats still worked. I don't know what to expect from reseting. My car runs excellent. Do I have to drive it like a maniac in order to get a good "adaption" from the ECU? Or does it just run better when its "un-adapted?"
Old 05-18-01, 11:34 AM
Kichgai

Someone needs to get Lexus to make a dip-swith or something that disables the 'learn' mode and just puts it 'react' mode.

Personally, I would tie it into the ECT PWR option so that when PWR is ON, reaction takes place even better.

Kichigai
Old 05-18-01, 10:40 PM
Navidf

The other day I removed the ECU-B fuse (which by the way is the 5amp one, not 20) to reset the ECU and when I went back to put it in, I dropped it in the box below. To my surprise, the car started any way and I drove off to the auto part and bought a new one and installed it. What gives? What is the fuse doing that removing it would not affect it?
Old 05-19-01, 11:38 AM
fierce gs
Pole Position

Kichgai..i totally agree with you. or maybe like how theres two memory buttons to remember your seat positions, there should be two memory buttons for different driving styles..u have it on the first setting when u drive slow and normal and the computer adapts to that..then when u drive like a maniac, u switch over to the second setting, and the computer adapts to those driving habits under that setting...that way it could adapt to 2 of your different driving styles. this would also help if two different people drove the same car i guess..

Old 05-19-01, 01:45 PM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

Man, u guys really opened my eyes, no wonder i kepp hetting the feeling that the car desn't want to go full throttle when I stepped on it somtime. Now i know why, thanks guys!
Old 05-19-01, 04:30 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation Different Fuses!

Navid - U & I must have different fuse boxes. There's not even a single 5 amp fuse anywhere in the passenger's side box that contains my ECU-B fuse. Can't see a 5 amp fuse being used for such a critical piece of electronics - awful lot of amperage draw, I'd think. Mine's still a yellow 20 amp fuse just inside of the 40 amp main fuse & without it installed, the car won't crank at all. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

Quick Reply: Resetting the ecu?!?!?!