Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS300 Starter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 12:53 PM
DriftOner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those two bolts going through the transmission are the only two holding the starter in. To make it slightly easier to get to them, you undo the transmission crossmember bolts. Be sure to have a jack under the transmission.
Old 10-13-13, 10:08 AM
unreal1171
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DriftOner
Those two bolts going through the transmission are the only two holding the starter in. To make it slightly easier to get to them, you undo the transmission crossmember bolts. Be sure to have a jack under the transmission.
oh, ok thx for the help, it seems the bolts come from the transmission side with like 1" clearance, had to use the universal joint rachet with extension just to reach correctly, any pic of what the crossmember bolt? seems like even if i remove that i cant see how the starter slips out to remove, I do have a jack and 2 jack stands to go under the car.

edit, holy crap, ok so i know the 2 bolts, have to use a small extension to reach the lower bolt, man that thing is way on tight.. ugh, i dont even know if i can do it.

Last edited by unreal1171; 10-13-13 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-06-13, 08:31 PM
Gears12
Driver

I appreciate everyone who wrote this procedure on replacing the starter. I just got through pulling my starter. I cleaned my contacts and connections and re-installed it. I am doing this until my new starter comes in from Amazon (TYC reman., $85 shipped with no core charge).

I just wanted to mention some things that I did so maybe they will help the next guy. First, I was able to get the starter off and out without separating the exhaust or lowering the transmission. Also I only used hand tools. As a reminder, there is a small wire that connects/plugs in right above the starter wire that has to be disconnected. I was able to loosen the lower starter bolt with an angled 14 mm closed end wrench. Once it was loose I used a ratchet with some extensions and a U joint to finish. On the top bolt, I used a socket with an impact swivel joint and lots of extensions (2 long ext. & 1 short). The thing you really have to be careful of is rounding off bolts. Make sure you have the proper tools and be sure the socket is on straight! Once I got both bolts loose, I left them in their holes in the transmission. I then weaved the starter out.

When I put it back in, I had to hold the starter in place with one hand and thread the bottom bolt in with the other hand. Next, I made sure the starter was aligned right, then I slightly snugged the bottom bolt with a ratchet. I then started threading the top bolt by hand using an extension, swivel and socket only. Once I was sure it was threaded right, I tightened it with the ratchet / extension combo.

I hope this helps,
Gears
Old 01-12-14, 11:19 AM
MartijnAms
Rookie

The last post is very useful and might save you time!
I already drove weeks with this intermittend starting problem. Only when engine was cold, so the first start of the day. I was planning to rebuild the starter and already bought the parts. But I found that cleaning the connection of the positive wire (the one on the bottom of the starter) fixed the problem! As suggested by others.

So if you want to save time you might by lucky (?) by cleaning this connection.
I'm very happy, in all it took me 10 minutes!
Old 01-30-14, 06:30 PM
vlpz760
Driver School Candidate

just did my starter today, was easy to do
Old 02-05-14, 11:59 PM
4rcedfed
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did mine a few weeks ago I took pictures too if anyone needs them. I bought some contacts from an alternator/starter rebuilding shop in San Diego cost me $5.00 each. Didnt want to buy a new starter so I rebuilt using brand new contacts which cost me $10 and my labor vs atleast $130 for a rebuilt starter. The solenoid was $50 at Toyota but didnt end up using it. If you guys need pics and instructions just PM me. My previous starter would click and wouldnt turn over and sometimes would stay on and engaged even after I stopped starting it. Maybe you guys had similar symptoms, if so replace the two contacts in the starter and the solenoid if need be.
The following users liked this post:
LSUGS430 (01-16-19)
Old 02-10-14, 11:35 AM
MartijnAms
Rookie

Mine is still starting like new, I just cleaned the lower cable of the starter!
Old 02-25-14, 04:30 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
No interest is what I'm assuming lol.

I can do a writeup with pictures, but it seems like not so many people DIY on these cars to that level. Most guys here will do basic stuff like intakes, exhaust, lights, body panels, etc. But when it comes to actual engine work, most people shy away.

Honestly it's not that hard. I've had to do it 2 times already because I shattered my flex plate one time and it took out the starter with it. I replaced my starter a second time when I realized that the broken flexplate was killing the starter lol. I'll do a quick written guide below.

Tools needed:
- The commonly obvious stuff like jack, and jackstands.
- 14mm and 12mm 3/8" drive sockets. Clearance is tight so 1/2" sockets might not fit.
- A second jack, you're going to use it to hold up the transmission.
- Long 3/8" extension like around 18inches or so. Or you can double up two shorter ones.
- A 3/8" universal joint or as some people call it, a wobbly.
- Air tools will make this go a LOT faster.

Steps:
1. Disconnect negative battery terminal. You don't want to be sparking down there when you're working on the starter.
2. Get under the car and undo the power cable to the starter(12mm nut). Then unclip the conector for the starter solenoid on the side of the starter.
3. Unbolt the exhaust where the header meets the mid-pipe.
4. Put jack under the transmission pan with a piece of wood on top of the jack so you don't dent the pan in. Unbolt the 4 transmission bracket bolts near the rear of the trans. Lower the jack slowly until it's just hanging there and then push it up just a hair so the engine isn't hanging too hard on the engine mounts.
5. Get the long extension, wobble joint, and put the 14mm socket on. You should now have enough clearance to reach the two starter bolts. They go in from the back of the engine where the transmission bellhousing mates to the engine.
6. After bolts are out, remove the starter and swap out to the new starter. Or you can rebuild the old starter with new brushes and contacts.

That should be it really...pretty straightforward. Just put everything back in reverse order.

JEFF, HOPE YOU SEE THIS!!!!

6 years ago I towed the car 1.5 hours to the dealer and paid $550 for a new starter. Trying to avoid that this time. Anyone have any alternatives to reaching the top bolt on the starter?

I followed all of the instructions above, but can't get it off. My tranny only dropped about an inch after unbolting the mount. It gave me room to get the socket on but I can't get it off. It's slipped a couple times and I don't won't to round the bolt off.

I tried the universal joint at the end and between a 5" and 10" extension and I just can't get leverage on the bolt. About to head to lowes for some more extensions so I can try to reach it from behind the transmission mount. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-14, 05:25 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You don't need to drop the tranny or anything else. The starter is pretty straight forward, you can access all the bolts from right below the driver wheel well. You will need a few extensions and a swivel. You can do it!
Old 02-25-14, 05:50 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
You don't need to drop the tranny or anything else. The starter is pretty straight forward, you can access all the bolts from right below the driver wheel well. You will need a few extensions and a swivel. You can do it!
I been trying with the swivel but the socket slips off. Might not get another crack at it until Thursday since it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. I can't get a garage soon enough
Old 02-25-14, 06:17 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by tiger4life
I been trying with the swivel but the socket slips off. Might not get another crack at it until Thursday since it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. I can't get a garage soon enough
Follow this...it's actually kinda easy the way Lexus makes it.

Copy this link in your browser...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664237&styleid=13
Old 02-25-14, 06:29 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

I already had that saved in my favorites but thanks.

My brother's maxima is easy, this bolt location isn't easy. Less difficult than a g400 yes, but not easy.
Old 02-27-14, 07:09 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

So thank goodness I got it off today. For anyone wondering, I ended up using a standard size ratchet, two 10 inch extensions, a swivel at the very end, and a 14 mm deep socket to loosen the top bolt. I had to literally point the ratchet straight up towards the sky and turn the swivel 90 degrees into the bolt head.

I put the new contacts in the starter and had 2 auto-parts stores test it. They both said it was good. Hopefully it is because last time I brought my brother's starter to Autozone they told me it was good but it wasn't.
Old 02-27-14, 07:54 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Good man you got it off!
Old 02-28-14, 05:03 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

now you gotta put it back on

Quick Reply: GS300 Starter Replacement