Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Borla Exhaust now on their site

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06, 07:43 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went by a local "ma & pa" muffler shop to ask about removing my secondary cats and resonator. He really didn't want to have any part in it. Even though the secondary cats aren't monitored by OBDII, it's still very illegal to remove them. The most he would be willing to do is sell me the parts to do it myself, then he would "fix it" if it leaked. Basically, I would cut them off, and replace them with pipes that are just clamped in. If it leaks, he can legally fix the leaks (I guess by welding them in). Removing the resonator wouldn't be a legal issue at all, so I would probably have him do that (if at all). Honestly, I really doubt the resonator robs any power, so I would only remove that if I wanted to make the exhaust louder. Removing the secondary cats will make it a bit louder too.
Old 12-03-06, 12:00 PM
Xelvic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
lobux you either mis-read or mis-quoted. lms advertised a 15-20hp gain, mainly due to cat removal. same with the megan headers on the is250. obviously splitting a pipe isn't going to do much of anything.

i'm not sure if anyone has done it, but it will be as lound and annoying as it is designed. you can make a powerfull exhaust not sound like a lawnmower going down the street, its just up to the designers. the borla exhaust i've heard (the one off from TL) had a nice low idle and a lively note during acceleration. the lms just sounded like crap, imo.

here's the is350 borla vid...and a GS that just sounds like an orgasm
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=borla+is350
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=borla+is350
Wow!!! (Reference the 2nd video) never thought a lexus could sound like a mustang!! mmmmmmm cooooooooool.....
Old 12-03-06, 05:57 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
I went by a local "ma & pa" muffler shop to ask about removing my secondary cats and resonator. He really didn't want to have any part in it. Even though the secondary cats aren't monitored by OBDII, it's still very illegal to remove them. The most he would be willing to do is sell me the parts to do it myself, then he would "fix it" if it leaked. Basically, I would cut them off, and replace them with pipes that are just clamped in. If it leaks, he can legally fix the leaks (I guess by welding them in). Removing the resonator wouldn't be a legal issue at all, so I would probably have him do that (if at all). Honestly, I really doubt the resonator robs any power, so I would only remove that if I wanted to make the exhaust louder. Removing the secondary cats will make it a bit louder too.
I"m gonna look around for a shop to do this. I'll probably start with the cats, if its not too loud, I'll go back and have the resonator removed also.
Old 12-03-06, 06:01 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

So answer me a question please seeing how I don't understand much about cats.. If I was to get the 2nd cats removed (the ones that would not cause a check engine light) I would gain substancial horsepower and some noise? If this is done will the car still pass inspection since it still has the 1st set of cats? Thanks people
Old 12-03-06, 07:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by linh811
I"m gonna look around for a shop to do this. I'll probably start with the cats, if its not too loud, I'll go back and have the resonator removed also.
You won't find a shop that will do this. Ever. It is a violation of Federal law to remove a working catalytic converter. The law was even amended to include removal by the car's owner, not a shop. If you choose to do this, you are completely on your own as far as legal repercussions are concerned. Remember, this is illegal in ALL 50 States, not just those (like California) having a visual inspection requirement. Fines will depend entirely upon the judge's discretion, but in California can be up to $15k + impound fees for the first offense. It will all depend on the judge's perception of your intent. If you are in front of him for street racing and equipment violations, well, just expect it will be brutally expensive. They're impounding cars where I live for the slightest suspicion of street racing since we've had multiple fatailities here in the last 6 months blamed on street racing.

I hate to be the water on the fire, but the EPA is dead set against anyone producing or selling an exhaust that replaces an OEM cat before 100k miles. I've been up and down this street with CARB, and worst of all, CARB is outlawing aftermarket cats effective 1 Jan 07 unless the specific cat has been tested and approved by CARB for the engine/car combination on which it is being installed. This is why I plan to install a Random Tech cat on my Supra and get it tested before this law goes into effect. Everyone living in California can expect things to get far worse before/if they ever get better. Such is living in the "Golden State."
Old 12-03-06, 07:49 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 07Txlex
So answer me a question please seeing how I don't understand much about cats.. If I was to get the 2nd cats removed (the ones that would not cause a check engine light) I would gain substancial horsepower and some noise? If this is done will the car still pass inspection since it still has the 1st set of cats? Thanks people
I'm not absolutely certain, but in the DFW area, they don't actually test the emissions on OBDII cars. They only check the readiness indicators via OBDII. If everything checks out on the OBDII tests, it passes. Even if your county does put it on a dyno emissions testing machine, it will probably pass Texas standards with the 1st cats installed. It is a ULEV car, and the 2nd cats just do part of the work.

Regarding power ... who knows. The LMS exhaust only made 9 RWHP in the only independent dyno test I found on CL. Of course, that 9 RWHP included 3 months of additional break-in.
Old 12-03-06, 07:52 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The muffler shop I went to in McKinney, TX referred me to some other shops way out in the sticks to get this done. He said that they don't ask any questions since they don't get watched by the EPA as much.
Old 12-03-06, 07:52 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Thanks Gernby I live in Fort Worth, so basically there is not really any downside other than possible violation of law in removing the secondary cats?
Old 12-03-06, 08:10 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'm not absolutely certain, but in the DFW area, they don't actually test the emissions on OBDII cars. They only check the readiness indicators via OBDII. If everything checks out on the OBDII tests, it passes. Even if your county does put it on a dyno emissions testing machine, it will probably pass Texas standards with the 1st cats installed. It is a ULEV car, and the 2nd cats just do part of the work.

Regarding power ... who knows. The LMS exhaust only made 9 RWHP in the only independent dyno test I found on CL. Of course, that 9 RWHP included 3 months of additional break-in.
So I'd gain ~9RWHP by removing the 2nd cats? Hmm, dunno if it's worth it, I was hoping for closer to 20RWHP
Old 12-03-06, 09:16 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

So I'd gain ~9RWHP by removing the 2nd cats? Hmm, dunno if it's worth it, I was hoping for closer to 20RWHP
Uhh... I wouldn't make that conclusion at all. There are more differences than just removing the secondary cats on the LMS exhaust. The mufflers are straight through as well. Of course, the LMS "true dual" design might actually detract from the gains of removing the cats. It's a total crap shoot.
Old 12-05-06, 10:38 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Talked to Borla customer support this morning and got some more info:

Its a X-Pipe system and its a dual pipe all the way back to the cats.

They don't have .pdf installation instructions yet or more photos. Sigh.

I'm going to call them later and see if I order directly from Borla what the wait time would be and if its reasonable I'll place an order.
Old 12-05-06, 11:19 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

thats sounds pretty good. then again, what would customer service know about this. :-\ i guess with this car i'm always left to speculate speculation

hey lobux since you're around this thread. wanna differentiate an x and h pipe?