Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2001 GS300 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-01, 05:19 PM
aardvark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My wife has been talking to the 800 number trying to exercise any last ditch options before entering arbritration. We have sent them this web address and faxed a copy of a review on carreview.com that describes the same problem. Hopefully if enough people complain about this problem it can get addressed. Here's the info:
The Lexus Customer Assistance Center
Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT
Phone: 1-800-255-3987 prompt #4
Fax: 1-310-468-2992

Old 08-30-01, 07:30 PM
aardvark
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Getting Closer

Just got off the phone this afternoon with the local service manager who is trying to help. Offered trade-in assistance towards another model. I asked if the 400 had the same trans and electronics and he said it did It's the wife's car and she passed on the 400 originally but he said he just did a see and drive the new ES300 and that might be an option for her. So at least they are starting to work with us instead of just blowing us off.

I also asked about resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery, in case it has corrupt info, and he agreed it would be worth a try. He said some customers have complained about the type of problems we are having but have learned to live with it? Sorry my wife's not that understanding and I don't blame her.

So I'm planning to try the battery thing this weekend and stay out of the car till it re-learns.

Does anyone know how long this might take?i.e. miles?

I'm really hoping to turn this around as my 95 Maxima SE is nearing trade-in or Stillen upgrades time. A new 400 is is the running as an option.
Old 08-31-01, 06:14 AM
superpocky
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Re:

I have the exact same problem. My car (2000 GS3) has a delay and then it slams, hard. Some times it's startling. It usually happens under a heave traffic around 10mph. I kind of fixed this problem by turning on the PWR. I really didn't have a problem since then. Try this, it might help.
Old 09-01-01, 04:35 PM
aardvark
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

I tried disconnecting the battery this weekend, no luck! It blew away the seat settings but not the presets on the radio? I also tied pulling every fuse associated with the ECU and other than dropping the one in the drivers kick panel (lost forever)no difference.

I also went to the dealer for a Saturday wash and had the wife look at the IS300. She thought it nice but wasn't interested in a test drive. We also looked at the LS's and GS400's same result. Dove down the road to an Audi dealer and I did get her to drive the A6 2.7T quattro which she liked quite a bit, but thought it felt heavy. From there it was on to the Infiniti dealer and the I30 which she dismissed after three blocks. We did take a spin in a Q while we were there. She thought it was nice but too big.

On the way home she put the 300 in pwr mode and still experienced what I would call slipping between shifts, but no rev ups then thunks. She then said what pretty much sums it up for both of us. The GS300 is the right car for her if we could only get past this shifting thing.

She has agreed to re-visit the BMW dealer since the 530 wasn't available when we originally compared. But her biggest grip with it was the small controls for the air, radio, etc.. and I'm not sure that has changed. After that revisiting Benz or MDX is my last hope.

This is one of the best forums I have been involved with and will definitely donate if we keep the car, so I'm looking for any suggestions
Old 09-04-01, 12:41 PM
robertito
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chalk up another victim of the GS300 trans problem.

I've had the car about 6 weeks, 1600 miles, and this is very annoying.

As per the seeming norm, it's intermittent and can't be duplicated.
Worst instance was in heavy, slow traffic, 5-15 MPH, it happened three times in 1/8th of a mile. I don't know if it was 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, but there was that whirring underfoot, and then slam into the next gear.

What it actually feels like is during acceleration, 1st to 2nd is OK, but 2nd to 3rd is actually going 2nd to 1st to 3rd.

It is the same feel every time.

I'll try the battery disconnect, but I fear I will be visiting McGrath Lexus here in Chicago soon.
Old 09-05-01, 03:34 PM
preskev
Driver School Candidate

Default GS3 2K Trans Problem

I have had the same problem with my 2K GS3. I have squawked it to the Lexus Dealer once before and they too were unable to duplicate during a test drive. The problem still lingers especially in stop and go traffic. I think everyone should complain to the dealer and should include a copy of all these replys as evidence of this problem.
Old 09-05-01, 08:19 PM
aardvark
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Unfortunately complaining to the dealer seems to produce no results since they are unable to duplicate the problem. I also believe there is a reluctance on their part in "officially" recognizing a problem exists since they could then be subject to buy-backs and lemon laws. We have complained to the 800 service number and they said they talked to our dealership and they couldn't recreate the problem. The 800 number also stated that they had received no other complaints of this nature. If you are as upset as we are about this problem I urge you to call the 800 number and report it. I have also registered on the lexus.com site and they now have the ability to e-mail customer service directly. I intend to e-mail this site's information as well as responses I have found at other sites regarding this problem. Please help get this issue the attention it deserves and call and/or e-mail customer service. The 800 number can be found in one of my prior posts, or register on Lexus.com, have your VIN ready.
Old 09-18-01, 06:59 PM
aardvark
Driver School Candidate

Question

I tried to e-mail this thread to myself so I can forward it to lexus.com customer service. In the meantime I'm curious if any of the 400's, 430's, or auto IS300's have had any problems like this?????

Have any of the other GS300 owners who have posted on this thread talked to the 800 # ????????

If we end up negotiating something with the dealer I would like to understand my options.

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-18-01, 09:35 PM
Alewifebp
Driver

I've noticed the same problem with my 2000 GS300. While it randomly happens, I have noticed it most when moving slowly down my driveway, where it very abrubtly shifts in to next gear. If I go slightly faster, it does not happen. It shifts very smoothly otherwise. I have not taken it to the dealer for this, because I have always felt more like it was a general defect with the tranny, and not something related to my car only. This thread proves it.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-19-01, 06:34 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

2000 GS300 with same problem. Actually, it happened on my 2001 IS300 and, I don't want to scare anyone, but it happens on my '98 LS400. I believe it's something we have to live with. I sold my IS300 to get the LS 400. I had the ECU and some other thing done to the IS300. I'm sad to say, it didn't completely go away. After driving my wife's GS300, it is actually worse than it was on the IS. Go figure
Old 09-19-01, 06:41 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Ive experienced that hesitation on my 01 GS3 which started at around 300 miles. Right now im at 1200 and it happens but rarely.

Boris
Old 09-27-01, 08:14 AM
robertito
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened again last night. Very slow stop-and-go traffic on the expwy, and three times in about 3/4 mile, while accelerating very very slowly, from 2nd to 3rd the tranny just "falls off a cliff" with a moderately heavy "thunk".
I can't think of a better way to describe it.

I 'm going to print this thread out and hop over to McGrath this afternoon.
Old 09-27-01, 01:20 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez guys, sorry to hear about all that. I would have thought Lexus would have had this problem ironed out this late in production. Do you think the 5-speed auto the '02 ES will use will suffer from the same problems?
Old 09-27-01, 09:06 PM
TX GS
Driver

I have an 01 GS3, 6 k miles.

I experience the same problem without prediction or reason. It comes and goes, it's annoying as hell.
Old 09-27-01, 09:37 PM
ro-lex
Rookie

I have a 01' IS300 and experience the same hesitation when shifting from 2nd-3rd. Usually happens when driving in stop and go traffic. Just wondering if any of you have had any luck getting the problem resolved with the service dept.

Quick Reply: 2001 GS300 Transmission Problem