Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need some information on building an engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-05, 02:53 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some information on building an engine

Well I'm starting to consider what I do down the road when and if my engine goes on me. I was thinking that I may want to start building a High Horsepower motor. Considering the projected price of such an endeavor I figure if I start on it before I really need it I may be able to afford completing it before it is needed if you know what I mean.

If I do it I want it to be able to produce something in the area of 750-1000 hp probably single turbo but if needed a dual is not out of the question.

I have been able to locate rods, pistons, cams and hopefully heads valvesx and springs wont be an issue.

What I dont know is what to do with the computer, is the stock ECU even a remote possiblillity or do I have to go standalone. If so what will happen to the tranny and other car funcitons that utilize the ECU.

I am sort of just researching at this point but I need to know if this is just a pipe dream for a daily driver or not.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

PS. and is the variable valve timing going to be an issue
Old 03-27-05, 09:03 AM
Cypriot
Rookie

tell us you speak about 2JZ-GTE engine and automatic 4 speed transmisson?
And which turbo you have plans to us it?
Old 03-27-05, 11:32 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cypriot
tell us you speak about 2JZ-GTE engine and automatic 4 speed transmisson?
And which turbo you have plans to us it?
Sorry I was referring to a GS400 which is the 1uzfe with a 5speed auto but even that may change if it makes sense I may look at a chevy tranny when the time comes.

I currently have a singleTurbonetics T04E
Old 03-27-05, 04:05 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Morris, I was asking myself the same question 5 years ago with my Lincoln and at the time my best decision was to switch to a FAST stand alone system.Now there is software out that I could have gotten by with.But at the time I went with the stand alone and was happy.At the time I also had to use a stand alone tranny computer.
If I were in your shoes (and I might be sooner or later) I would go with an AEM stand alone system.The AEM has the capabilitiy to control the tranny as well so you wont have to worry about that.
I can get in contact with the head engineer at AEM as he tunes a few friends 1000 HP supras regularly.Or better yet check out their forums and ask questions.They are pretty helpful over there.
Old 03-27-05, 04:18 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Thanks LMS I am truly ignorant when it comes to engine building and such, I am just now learning more and more about it. Do you know if the AEM will control the VVT also?
Old 03-27-05, 04:37 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

I dont, but that would be a good question for their forums.

You will have to register but here you go.

http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/login.php
Or this
http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/index.php
If you have any engine questions feel free to ask.I'm by no means the end all be all expert, but I do have a good bit of experience with DOHC V8s and I like being able to help people cause I know there was a lot of people that have helped me in the past.

Last edited by LMSguy; 03-27-05 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-27-05, 07:50 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Morris,

I am unsure what year Gs400 you have but you may want to contact Mo at SRT and find out what kind of computer problems he has encountered while building up his and other's Gs400's.
Old 03-27-05, 07:57 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AEM makes nothing for the vvti engine yet. It's in the works but from the looks of it, it's still pretty far off for the AEM boys. The nature of the vvti makes it hard to tune because it's always constantly automatically adjust itself so that a few weeks/months down the road it will adjust itself back to its factory setting and you will lose whatever data you programmed into your aftermarket piggyback units.

Your only choice right now is the Motec M800 and the Autronic SM4. Both of which will TUNE vvti and they start at a beautiful low low price of $4000, minus all the extra modules. I know some of the fully modded motec can cost upward of $8000.
Old 03-27-05, 08:17 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Your correct about AEM not making anything just yet.But Morris said he is planning for the future. He's not ready to do it just yet and by the time he is they just might have the system out.
Old 03-28-05, 12:35 AM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you tell us why you choos to turbocharged the 1UZ instead of doing a 2JZ-GTE swap? With a stock 2JZ-GTE short block (no need to upgrade the pistons, rods, etc...) you could put down the kind of power that you're looking for. With the 2JZ-GTE swap, you 'could run with a factory ECU.

BTW, daily driving a car with 750 hp is possible, but it won't be convenient.

Check out this website.

http://www.to4r.com/to4r.php.

Last edited by rodel; 03-28-05 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 12:54 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Upgraded internal parts MAY not be needed in the Iuz either.If he wanted a 2jz he would do it.
But for me at least a turbo V8 is WAY cooler than a supra engine that has been done a dozen times before.
Old 03-28-05, 06:08 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
The AEM makes nothing for the vvti engine yet. It's in the works but from the looks of it, it's still pretty far off for the AEM boys. The nature of the vvti makes it hard to tune because it's always constantly automatically adjust itself so that a few weeks/months down the road it will adjust itself back to its factory setting and you will lose whatever data you programmed into your aftermarket piggyback units.

Your only choice right now is the Motec M800 and the Autronic SM4. Both of which will TUNE vvti and they start at a beautiful low low price of $4000, minus all the extra modules. I know some of the fully modded motec can cost upward of $8000.

I am hoping that I could build the entire engine for 8K or less. I dont have the resources to spend 4k-8K on a computer. As LMS said I am really just kicking the idea around and trying to judge the feasibillity at the moment. Maybe something will come available in the future. Even though now that the GEN3 stuff is out I dont know how much R&D will go into the Gen 2 platform.
Old 03-28-05, 06:20 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

REasons for the 1UZ, well there are a few hopefully most of them make logical sense.

1. I was always partial to V8's
2. It came with a V8 so I assume that the replaceing it with the same engine will be a less costly and less complicated endeavor. ( I admit I could be wrong)
3. The V8 comes to the show with a nice amount of low end torque. To get things rolling before teh boost kicks in.
4. The ECU controls more than just the engine, if I swapped engines the entire ECU would have to swap and this would proably lead to additional complications( guessing here)
5. I am daild driving close to 500hp at the crank (well I was) could you elaborate what is inconvienent about 750hp.
6. those guys on Lextreme seem to be doing some really awsome things with the 1uz, so I thnk there is some work that has already been doen to lead the way.

The thing that really sparked me to think about this is the fact that I blew my tranny and hadnt planned for it, this resulted in months of down time and about 3K of unplanned cash expenditures at a really inoportune time.

I am assuming the worst and that as I run my 10-15 psi, I will eventurally break somethin in my 235K mile motor. If I dont have something already planned and built or at least partially built and partially paid for, I will have to junk the GS and buy something new. I really dont want to do this so I am starting to try and pre plan.
Old 03-29-05, 09:05 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

So has no one gone this route before?
Old 03-29-05, 09:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Morris,

The only ones I've heard of doing this on 1UZ engines with VVT-I are the TT Scorpion guys from SRT for the more extreme buildups.

Quick Reply: Need some information on building an engine