Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Update Ported 1UZ-FE heads/GS400

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 12:23 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting. Great stuff in here. Also I wonder how the voltage at the MAF affects timing. I notice I get very mild timing on my car since I installed my intake. I have been meaning to run it on the dyno with the stock box. Keep in mind the diameter is wrong on this intake I have so I'm adjusting the fuel drastically with an S AFC II.
Old 01-15-05, 05:17 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the location of your intake air temp sensor that's affecting your ignition timing.
Old 01-27-13, 03:40 PM
GS4hunnit
Driver

I know this is a super old thread, but im really interested in the outcome of this?! Hopefully the OP is still around to share his results!
Old 01-28-13, 06:16 AM
La400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default results of build

Worked far better than even considered. No NOS, no forced air.
Balanced and blue printed it, 20 over Ross pistons.
Such a treat to see the faces of new AMG owners when you are sitting right at
their door at 100mph.
A monster after 3,000 rpm, continued to build power the more it spins up.
These are factory exhaust manifolds on the 98 GS.
Attached Thumbnails Update Ported 1UZ-FE heads/GS400-img_1465.jpg   Update Ported 1UZ-FE heads/GS400-img_1467.jpg   Update Ported 1UZ-FE heads/GS400-img_2079.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
djr48312 (12-22-23)
Old 01-28-13, 08:51 AM
MoncefGS
Driver School Candidate

^^ Oh Jesus. That's awesome.

You should get it on a dyno and see what it makes.
Old 01-28-13, 11:55 AM
GS4hunnit
Driver

WOW!..Those are real nice times, I assume close to 400whp? Im also very interested in what it makes on the dyno. Are these results to just the blueprint and balance, ported heads and larger pistons?? Very impressive, considering your using stock manifolds.
Old 01-28-13, 12:48 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what was the total cost of having this done? Would it be the same on a 430?
Old 01-28-13, 07:12 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Now that's the way to do it.
Old 01-28-13, 07:54 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-13, 08:19 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Dayuum, this is the kind of power i want from a GS4!
Old 01-28-13, 08:50 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I will be so pissed if he says $5 - 6k can make this setup happen. Lol reason being is i'd prob sell my SC, take that money and the money I was going to spend on install, other parts, tune etc etc and i'm just about there...making the same power but NA. Ahhhh, decisions decisions.
Old 01-29-13, 05:46 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Rock, from what i seen with the engine management issues with the SC though cool to have that eye candy of unit when hood is open. IMO now that there is an alternative to added power, I would go the Ported route.
Old 01-29-13, 07:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by La400
Worked far better than even considered. No NOS, no forced air.
Balanced and blue printed it, 20 over Ross pistons.
Such a treat to see the faces of new AMG owners when you are sitting right at
their door at 100mph.
A monster after 3,000 rpm, continued to build power the more it spins up.
These are factory exhaust manifolds on the 98 GS.
i wish u had scrolled down and seen what the tech pro meter "suggested" your hp was. also why would you spend all that $ to build a motor for NA and use the stock restrictive manifolds and the stock valvetrain....

i saw where you said

Originally Posted by La400
Hi Hollywood,
Headers are out, none to be found that I know of, all wish. Whereas investigation of the intake and exhaust manifolds, GS400 design would be hard to beat, only if were going full out with everything. I went to a number of racers utilizing 1UZFE engines and that is what I was told, for my application. This is why I chose, heads, cats back exhaust, LSD, TQ, Computer mapped for these features
but that wasnt true.....i mean the first set of headers that would become the S&S headers was designed several years previously by the guy who was offering you all the intake/exhaust specifications (Jbrady)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ease-read.html

not to mention there were cams/springs/retainers available then. im not knocking you i like the work but why build a motor a motor with pistons (which is a costly build),port the heads (again can be costly) and not upgrade to aftermarket springs/retainers/cams/camshafts/exhaust manifolds..... (all of which were available) seems like a backwards build
Old 01-29-13, 03:14 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
i wish u had scrolled down and seen what the tech pro meter "suggested" your hp was. also why would you spend all that $ to build a motor for NA and use the stock restrictive manifolds and the stock valvetrain....

i saw where you said

but that wasnt true.....i mean the first set of headers that would become the S&S headers was designed several years previously by the guy who was offering you all the intake/exhaust specifications (Jbrady)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ease-read.html

not to mention there were cams/springs/retainers available then. im not knocking you i like the work but why build a motor a motor with pistons (which is a costly build),port the heads (again can be costly) and not upgrade to aftermarket springs/retainers/cams/camshafts/exhaust manifolds..... (all of which were available) seems like a backwards build
Perhaps he was working with a budget in mind.
Old 02-08-13, 04:55 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind his original post was in 2005. The headers were not available back then lol. That's 8 years ago! I think the headers were available like 5 years ago, so before his time. He also said in his original post that there were no cams. True then, but now there are cams available.

I've been telling everyone, that port work is....bar none the best way to gaining power. Want a good example? I dyno'd two setups. Identical everything, only thing that changed was I had ported head in one session, and stock head in the other session. Boost pressure kept around 30psi. Ported head made 830whp on a 67mm Billet Comp Turbo at 30psi. Some errors were made when racing and the head had to be retired. So I ran a stock head temporarily, and the engine dropped over 100hp down to around 720whp. Boost pressure kept at 30psi on both dyno sessions!

On a V8, there is more displacement compared to the 2JZ I was working on. So the more air volume that needs to be moved, the more benefit you will see from porting. Say you port a Honda 1.6L NA, the gain from stock to port might be like 10hp. On a GS 4.0L V8, it might be like 40hp or more! On Corvettes, a port job plus cam upgrade can net gains of 100hp! So if you get a awesome port job on a 1/3UZ plus cams upgraded, the results will be pretty crazy as well.

So yes this is an extreme example because I'm packing a lot of boost PLUS a ported head. In a boosted application, porting kinda multiplies the gains. However, even in NA form you will gain from porting. My friend that does all my port work used to do it professionally for race teams. Here are some pix:

Quick Reply: Update Ported 1UZ-FE heads/GS400