Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
Old 12-16-14, 12:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

D.I.Y. Oxygen Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 01:15 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^&(^T&$F%^$%^%^*&@#&*#$^Y&@)(!_@^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm off to an exhaust shop.
Old 04-02-09, 01:18 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wtf........................wow u must be super strong to snap that .
Old 04-02-09, 01:32 PM
kit cat

breaker bar my friend! lol
Old 04-02-09, 07:25 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do i know where each sensor is located, like you said yours was the bank 1, sensor 1 and 2.. what if mines different?
Old 04-03-09, 06:28 AM
kit cat

correct me if I'm wrong but I THINK it's Bank 1 or 2 is either one of the exhaust manifolds, and sensor 1 or 2 means upstream or downstream.
Old 04-03-09, 10:08 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joeker
how do i know where each sensor is located, like you said yours was the bank 1, sensor 1 and 2.. what if mines different?
What car do you have? G#300,400 or 430?
Here you go if you have GS or IS 300 98+ Bank 2 sensor 2 under the car
Old 07-15-09, 06:01 AM
Searles945
Rookie

This is probaby the most helpful thread concerning O2 sensors, definitely worthy of a sticky!!!!
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (10-13-22)
Old 01-16-10, 05:05 AM
JnC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a little trouble removing the carpet. It seem to be glued onto the floor, anyone else had this problem?
Old 01-16-10, 04:11 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

i ordered some universal o2s but i screwed up and got the unheated ones need to get the three wire heated o2s for our cars. so if you order universal make sure you get the heated o2 sensors....
Old 01-18-10, 05:02 AM
JnC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tom steele
i ordered some universal o2s but i screwed up and got the unheated ones need to get the three wire heated o2s for our cars. so if you order universal make sure you get the heated o2 sensors....

When I shopped around for the best price I found out that the price difference between the universal one and the OEM direct replacement one was only around $20, hence I ended getting the OEM ones for $79 shipped through ebay. Just use the denso part numbers listed on page 2 when searching for the sensor.

The carpet finally came off earlier, I had to remove the plastic piece that's underneath the dash in order to move the carpet. Took around half an hour to replace the sensor, the check engine light went away after a couple of cold starts.
Old 01-21-10, 05:04 PM
ice177217
Driver School Candidate

Default oxygen sensor removal tool

Hey bvance! Thanks for the thread. This is really helpful. I was wondering where can you buys the socket oxygen sensor removal too? You mind sending an email to me at: ice177217@gmail.com? Thanks again!
Old 04-27-10, 02:48 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Cool O2 sensors

Okay, so my first question, is how do you know which is bad, since there 4 right? I guess I could take it to lexus and pay the $138 for the diagnostics, but is there a way to find out otherwise? Also, how hard is it really to do this? I am good at alot of things, but anything having to do with the "check engine" light, well I am not always too comfortable doing. but if it's not that hard, maybe i can. Or I can buy someone a 12pk of their favorite beer in echange?? I will buy the parts of course!

Rock
Old 04-27-10, 03:47 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockero28
Okay, so my first question, is how do you know which is bad, since there 4 right? I guess I could take it to lexus and pay the $138 for the diagnostics, but is there a way to find out otherwise? Also, how hard is it really to do this? I am good at alot of things, but anything having to do with the "check engine" light, well I am not always too comfortable doing. but if it's not that hard, maybe i can. Or I can buy someone a 12pk of their favorite beer in echange?? I will buy the parts of course!

Rock
Get a code reader or borrow one from kragen etc... depending on the code reader, it'll tell you which one is "bad"

otherwise, grab the cel code and search for the description online.

Once the description is found. locate the location based on the service manual (available in the sticky thread).
Old 09-16-11, 08:14 AM
mphsatty
Driver School Candidate

Default New Member Intro/Question Bank 2, Sensor 2 Oxygen Sensor

Hello. I became a member of CL recently, but I've lurked around for quite a while. This is really a great site for Lexus owners. My car is a 2001 GS300. Thanks to Brian (Sakataj), I was able to replace my console lamps as well as two servo motors a few days ago.

Yesterday, for the first time, my check-engine light came on, and it reported a problem with an O2 sensor-- Bank 2, Sensor 2. I ordered the sensor but have a question (I know this is an old thread). The OP indicated he removed a plastic piece by the passenger door in order to pull the carpet back for access to the wiring. I was wondering if removing that one piece really gives you enough room to pull the carpet back far enough for access. I would like to hear from someone who has done this job before. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-11, 08:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mphsatty
Hello. I became a member of CL recently, but I've lurked around for quite a while. This is really a great site for Lexus owners. My car is a 2001 GS300. Thanks to Brian (Sakataj), I was able to replace my console lamps as well as two servo motors a few days ago.

Yesterday, for the first time, my check-engine light came on, and it reported a problem with an O2 sensor-- Bank 2, Sensor 2. I ordered the sensor but have a question (I know this is an old thread). The OP indicated he removed a plastic piece by the passenger door in order to pull the carpet back for access to the wiring. I was wondering if removing that one piece really gives you enough room to pull the carpet back far enough for access. I would like to hear from someone who has done this job before. Thanks in advance.
i assume by your sn your local to memphis? PM me if so

your welcome man...
did you verify that you dont have a exhaust leak before ordering that O2 sensor? i used to get a bank 2 code till i found out i had a exhaust leak

the plastic piece he is referring to would be the door sill and with that you might have to pull some little bit of carpet

Last edited by sakataj; 04-10-13 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. Oxygen Sensor Replacement