Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZ-GTE question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-04, 01:54 PM
teamsaisok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZ-GTE question

ok, finally got my car. got my 2jz-gte vvti waiting...one question though, i want to have a 6-speed. i have no clue, but is it possible to throw in the supra tranny? i really want the 6-speed instead of the F1. thanks!!

also, what motor mounts do i use? wher ecan i get it?

Last edited by teamsaisok; 11-10-04 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-10-04, 07:24 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't just "throw in" a supra 6 sp. From what I read on Club Aristo, you have to lengthen the drive shaft, make custom connectors. Definitely not something you can do on your own garage. But someone had done it before, so it is doable.

After that you have to worry about making your ECU understand that you are now having a manual transmission and not an auto anymore.
Old 11-10-04, 09:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the supra tt 6 speed will fit on the gte engine relatively easy i believe. that's not the biggest problem

the biggest problem is electronics. but imho, the best way to do it is just to throw away the stock ecu once and for all. get a stand alone computer to work with the engine, and the 6 speed becomes independent and it's all good.

of course you still might run into problem with the belt housing fitment and stuff but that should be easy. and the drive shaft might be different length too, and that's really nothing compared to the electronics. take my words, electronics is what going to cause most time
Old 11-18-04, 09:59 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
the supra tt 6 speed will fit on the gte engine relatively easy i believe. that's not the biggest problem

the biggest problem is electronics. but imho, the best way to do it is just to throw away the stock ecu once and for all. get a stand alone computer to work with the engine, and the 6 speed becomes independent and it's all good.

of course you still might run into problem with the belt housing fitment and stuff but that should be easy. and the drive shaft might be different length too, and that's really nothing compared to the electronics. take my words, electronics is what going to cause most time
So for something like this, the AEM or the MOTEC system would be the best route?
Old 11-18-04, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Stage3
So for something like this, the AEM or the MOTEC system would be the best route?
there are quite a few stand alone computer out there that you can take advantage of. i have to say i havent' done enough reesrach on this, but i know there are quite a few options
Old 11-21-04, 02:08 AM
teamsaisok
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply guys...i talked to the guys from sp engineering and they can do it for me. thanks~!
Old 11-25-04, 06:13 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

keeps us posted how it goes..
Old 12-08-04, 03:40 AM
LessEndz
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Stage3
AEM won't cut it... unless you wanna cut corners
top of the line Motec will... and will also cost you a pretty penny or TWO!!!
Autronic has the SM4 comming out very soon...
Old 12-08-04, 08:36 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LessEndz
AEM won't cut it... unless you wanna cut corners
top of the line Motec will... and will also cost you a pretty penny or TWO!!!
Autronic has the SM4 comming out very soon...
Have you try the AEM before ? Is this a fact or just rumor you are hearing?
JPI
Old 12-10-04, 05:29 AM
LessEndz
Driver School Candidate

Default ?

our tuner tries to keep us as "up to date" as is possible even though we are on a rock in the middle of the pacific ocean...
it help with our own projects & customer jobs. i'm know he has his biases.. as do we all.
but to run & maximize a VVTi or VVTL-i system isn't quite as simple as VTEC or VTC now is it.

is it a rumor? why? does the current AEM have the capabilities to maxamize fuel & ignition maps in those types of heads with continously variable cam timing & lift systems? can it also calculate when and how it should adjust the valvetrain?
i'm VERY sure its in development if its not released yet.. AEMs business game tends to stay ahead of the trendy to make their money!!

well unless it comes to AEMs "drifting"effort.. their "Car" and "Driver" were an embarassment. they straight up wasted money customers spent to buy their products.
sorry i just have trouble giving my support to companies which STILL makes moves like that.

Last edited by LessEndz; 12-10-04 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-10-04, 12:05 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

The VVT-i version is in the final testing stage. AEM can and will do what you need. I strongly advise you to take the class. Every system has it own unique design.
JPI
Old 12-11-04, 06:05 AM
LessEndz
Driver School Candidate

i'm sure they will release that latest version sometime soon....
though t in the meanwhile.. i don't think my statement is any less of a "rumor" then when i said it...

i don't think our Tuner currently needs to use what little free time he has going to that sort of class...
as an engineer he generally gets paid to spend his time.. this automotive stuff is more of a hobby and personal intrest of his.
Old 12-12-04, 11:40 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

now wait a tick... if the AEM cant do what it needs to do for a VVTI 2jzgte engine, then why was Titan Motorsports using that in the Supra thats been whoopin everyones behinds????
Old 12-13-04, 06:25 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

There are ways around it. But you have to fab up crank and cam sensor pick up. AEM going for the PNP application.
JPI
Old 12-21-04, 10:49 PM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

Originally Posted by Stage3
now wait a tick... if the AEM cant do what it needs to do for a VVTI 2jzgte engine, then why was Titan Motorsports using that in the Supra thats been whoopin everyones behinds????
Stage3, did you realize they were referring to the VVT-i 2JZ GTE? Titan is using one of the older 2JZ GTE motors in their supra. The AEM does not have too many issues with the older 2JZ GTEs in the hands of a capable tuner. However, throw in VVT-i and the AEM shows serious limitations. Now, if you add drive by wire to the mix, the AEM is completely out of the game.

Teamsaisok, since SP is a HKS Pro dealer, they will probably set you up with the HKS FCON VPRO. That is a fantastic unit and if it weren't for HKS' stupid policy of only allowing their pro dealers to use their software, I would recommend the use of that unit to anybody using a 2JZ GTE vvt-i or NOT. The performance of the FCON VPRO is on par with that of the Motec at only a fraction of the cost. It is a very reliable unit which does not sometimes drop maps like the AEM.

Are you sure you want to go with a 6 speed in a GS though? The automatic transmission that came with your motor shifts really smoothly under normal driving condition but can also shift hard when driven agressively and unlike the stick, you can brake boost and leave the line at full boost. Just so that you know, the fastest supra in the 1/4 mile is automatic...plus auto transmissions make it so easy to cruise With this said, I would not want an auto transmission in my supra but then again, I only use the Supra to play and the twin turbo GS to cruise..well sort of

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GTE question