Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Megan Racing DOWNPIPE GS300?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 10:55 PM
DrLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also looking for confirmation on the 3rd cat. California cars, i would bet, would have it if nothing else.

My SC, for example, has a cat in the "downpipe", just before the catback.

I'm putting a Megan GS pipe on, to eliminate the cat. But, if I can find a GS300 pipe with that little muffler on it, I would much rather put that on, since it is an OEM piece.

If anyone is in california, please chime in. The cat will not be round, but more oval shaped, with ribs in the bottom.

Last edited by DrLex; 03-23-09 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 08:41 AM
al-ex-us
Driver

Want the MOST power with smog compliance without back pressure! Any suggestions on a good setup to achieve this? Thinking about going "cold air intake"! Any suggestions on a good setup?
Old 03-25-09, 11:06 PM
DrLex
Driver

I am also in Cali, so I'm planning to run the VVTi twin cat header, with a header back setup.

The thing is you can't remove the primary header and remain legal. The stock header isn't that bad (the VVTi one). I was checking out an IS300 that dynoed over 200rwhp with a midpipe/exhaust upgrade, and OEM header.
Old 03-26-09, 12:30 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eagle1wi
Just for clarification it seems that the 98-99's have a muffler in this "third" location and the newer 2nd Gen's do have a cat there. I know that being underneath my 99 GS3 it certainly doesn't look anything like a cat, looks like a little muffler.

I landed on this page looking to get rid of that restriction point and it certainly looks like every "catted" front pipe is listed for 2000+ models.

Can anyone confirm that only the newer models have the third cat?
I would look in the repair manual. The one I have is for 01+
Old 03-18-10, 09:00 PM
modifyit15
Driver School Candidate

well I have a 2000 and mine has a Cat on the downpipe. I will be eliminating it since it is now clogged. the result of it being clogged only allows my car a top speed of 32mph on a flat road due to the restricted air path. I hate Cat converters.
Old 03-19-10, 08:34 AM
cloead
Driver

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
anyone had experience with Megan Racing or their products? The thing MSRPs for 180, and online prices are usually around 100. I think that's too cheap for a pipe to be of good quality.

Do you think that a short section of pipe should cost $400?

Anyways, I think I'm going to pick one of these up. My heatshields are rattling and its starting to drive me crazy.
Old 03-19-10, 10:10 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cloead
Do you think that a short section of pipe should cost $400?

Anyways, I think I'm going to pick one of these up. My heatshields are rattling and its starting to drive me crazy.
a vendor on here figs (aka mike) makes aftermarket heatshields and he's a great guy to work with, i have bought stuff from him and buying more soon

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ld-for-gs.html
Old 03-31-10, 01:23 PM
cloead
Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
a vendor on here figs (aka mike) makes aftermarket heatshields and he's a great guy to work with, i have bought stuff from him and buying more soon

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ld-for-gs.html
The only heatshield I see that he makes goes over the header, were the isnt a heatshield right now.

The ones that rattle like crazy on my gs are under the car, wrapped around the exhaust pipe.
Old 05-27-10, 04:02 PM
Searles945
Rookie

Default I can definetely second this

Originally Posted by modifyit15
well I have a 2000 and mine has a Cat on the downpipe. I will be eliminating it since it is now clogged. the result of it being clogged only allows my car a top speed of 32mph on a flat road due to the restricted air path. I hate Cat converters.
I just had mine on a lift and it was confirmed by a shop that it is a cat on the end of the downpipe....so for the 2000+ GS300 owners what does the mean for the Megan Racing downpipe? O2 sim perhaps?
Old 05-28-10, 10:46 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Searles945
so for the 2000+ GS300 owners what does the mean for the Megan Racing downpipe? O2 sim perhaps?
Yea but if it throws the code, it won't affect driveability at all. But for emission purposes or if the CEL bugs you, you can easily o2 sim it and get rid of it. I would advise getting rid of it anyway even though it does not affect anything b/c if you get other codes for whatever reason, there is no way of telling.
Old 09-13-16, 06:18 AM
2jTonio
Driver School Candidate

Default Megan Header Plas Header

Originally Posted by VEGAS DRE
MR makes very good products at great prices !and no i dont work for megan racing ! just speaking from experience from selling and installing their products over the past 3 years. the main purpose of an aftermarket exhaust is to have more free flowing burnt gas to exit out as fast as possible ! rule of thumb the faster you can get air in and out of an engine the more hp you'll make ! id say buy it !
Whats up man I know this post is pretty outdated, but I have a question I think you'd be able to answer. My friend who has a 99 GS3 mentioned to me that I can order exhaust components for the IS being that they share the same engine. He has an HPS intake along with OBX headers. Well I have a 98 GS3 with a Megan down pipe along with an HKS Hi power axle back. My question is this, will the Megan headers fit? It's sounds silly because it'll be Megan to Megan but I've read a lot of posts where people have said it won't fit because you need the stock Y pipe.