Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Megan Racing DOWNPIPE GS300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-04, 12:33 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Megan Racing DOWNPIPE GS300?

Hey guys I came across this online today,

MEGAN RACING Stainless Steel down pipe for 98+ GS300.

anyone had experience with Megan Racing or their products? The thing MSRPs for 180, and online prices are usually around 100. I think that's too cheap for a pipe to be of good quality.

Any opinions?

(they claim 8~14hp gain)
Attached Thumbnails Megan Racing DOWNPIPE GS300?-meganracingpipe.jpg  
Old 05-29-04, 01:16 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen that downpipe floating around on Ebay for a while now. I do believe someone here has that exact downpipe and has it installed. I too have a similar S.S. downpipe (different design) but mine was a prototype from Carson Tuned. I would only expect a 2-3 hp gain off a downpipe by itself.

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 05-29-04 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-29-04, 08:28 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a downpipe on N/A cars is next to useless, I think you will gain very minimal top-end hp at the expense of serious loss of bottom-end hp which is more "real" and needed in day-to-day city driving. Unless you are planning to drag your car (which I highly doubt...), I don't think a downpipe is necessary for you. On the other hand, if you own a V300...
Old 05-30-04, 09:54 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default Re: I have it on my GS and I love it.-->

I bought it from ebay for about $125.00. Quality and fitment was excellent. Sure this mod will not turn your GS300 into a race car but every little horse power adds up. When I first put it on the only mod I had was an HKS hiper exhaust. The noise level increase was minimal but now that I added the SRT intake WOW the car noise level has increase alot more.(But in a good way) The car feels faster on the top end with some power loss down low. (Maybe because of the intake) Once again the Quality and the fit was excellent even my installer commented how nice it looked. By the way it doesn't come with gaskets so you have to buy new ones from the dealer. I got this mod because my future plans is to go turbo, but if you are planning to stay N/A I suggest for you to buy the TOYOMOTO header race pipe combo for only $450.00
Hope that helps: Jose

QUOTE]Originally posted by GlobeCLK
Hey guys I came across this online today,

MEGAN RACING Stainless Steel down pipe for 98+ GS300.

anyone had experience with Megan Racing or their products? The thing MSRPs for 180, and online prices are usually around 100. I think that's too cheap for a pipe to be of good quality.

Any opinions?

(they claim 8~14hp gain)
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-03-08, 11:51 AM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thought I might add my experience with this pipe since I had it installed. Don't mean to bring it back from the dead but didn't want to start a new post. The pipe has good fitment and looks great. Car seems to breath better up top and have better throttle responce. Here is a pic of it installed.

Last edited by SweetS160; 11-03-08 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 12:08 PM
Eddie@JP
Driver School Candidate

Talk about bringing it back. Anyways, Megan Racing makes good products and keeps their prices fairly low. I like dealing with them. Very customer oriented.
Old 11-04-08, 11:45 PM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SUPRA OWNER
I bought it from ebay for about $125.00. Quality and fitment was excellent. Sure this mod will not turn your GS300 into a race car but every little horse power adds up. When I first put it on the only mod I had was an HKS hiper exhaust. The noise level increase was minimal but now that I added the SRT intake WOW the car noise level has increase alot more.(But in a good way) The car feels faster on the top end with some power loss down low. (Maybe because of the intake) Once again the Quality and the fit was excellent even my installer commented how nice it looked.
I have the same experience, good choice for the price but I'm waiting for my new HKS Hi-Power exhaust

Denis.
Old 11-04-08, 11:48 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

IIRC, you will lose one of the cat's at the end. It may not be a big deal for people living in states with lenient smog rules, but not for us in CA.

How does it sound? Any problems with it throwing a CEL. Any improved performance?

Last edited by pingu; 11-04-08 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-05-08, 06:40 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was steered away from this product because my understanding was that you would loose low end torque and gain higher end HP. My understanding was that the additional back pressure created was a bad thing, unless you're going boosted. Can someone give me clarification?

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 03-19-10 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-05-08, 07:48 AM
Eddie@JP
Driver School Candidate

The amount of torque you'll lose is minimal. You're exhaust will actually have less back pressure because there is less restriction. So the air will flow smoother and faster through your exhaust. Kind of like if you bumped up from a 2.25 exhaust to a 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust.
Old 11-05-08, 08:27 AM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu
IIRC, you will lose one of the cat's at the end. It may not be a big deal for people living in states with lenient smog rules, but not for us in CA.

How does it sound? Any problems with it throwing a CEL. Any improved performance?
You wont lose a cat since they are both on the mani. The one on the stock downpipe is a resonator. The Megan downpipe comes with a resonator it's just smaller. Exhaust sound remains the same and no you will not throw a cel. I've been driving for a week now and no problems with the cel coming on.

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
I was steered away from this product because my understanding was that you would loose low end torque and gain higher end HP. My understanding was that the additional back pressure created was a bad think, unless you're going boosted. Can someone give me clarification?
You don't even really notice the loss of tq. Maybe on the v8 it can be felt more but in the I6 I can tell you that you won't miss it.
Old 11-05-08, 11:23 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

I was reading on other threads that the b-pipe actually has a cat on the end.
Jefftsai and CarbonGS have both said this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...300+megan+pipe

Setting off the CEL
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...megan+downpipe
Old 11-07-08, 04:36 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would be all over headers for my I6, but Kali emissions blow.............
Old 11-07-08, 05:17 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
I was steered away from this product because my understanding was that you would loose low end torque and gain higher end HP. My understanding was that the additional back pressure created was a bad think, unless you're going boosted. Can someone give me clarification?
FYI, gaining backpressure will help low end torque, losing backpressure will hurt it

id have to say this pipe would only be really helpful with the appropriate other exhaust upgrades, i.e. ypipe and axle back system. Obviously headers and high flow cats would be wonderful too but bare minimum would be this bpipe, plus ypipe, plus rear section.
Old 11-07-08, 06:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

More back pressure hurts your system more. You never really want back pressure in your exhaust if your goal is to make more power.

The megan pipe is most likely larger than the OEM pipe. Bigger piping means more back pressure resulting in loss of exhaust velocity, which is what we need in the first place.

Quick Reply: Megan Racing DOWNPIPE GS300?