Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers for V8 cars, Please read

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-04, 11:06 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

JBrady:

For all of us that own pre-98 1UZFE powered cars, I assume the lionshare, why don't you determine how many prepays you need, and post it? I for one, am ready to prepay it right now. I also want your guarantee that the product will be delivered, and that my money will not be lost in the R&D costs, and, your word is sufficient for me on that matter.

So, how about it? Develop both sides, man. That is how this thing started, and that is where my expectations still are.

Thanks,

Altstadt
Old 01-30-04, 01:03 PM
fever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first I thought one side would pose an imbalance. But correct me if I am wrong, flow is flow. Both banks come together eventually to create a measured volumetric flow. Then they split offf. However, at the split they should EQUALLY share the increased flow even with only the passenger side augmented.

The end result should be increased and balanced. Am I wrong?
Old 01-30-04, 01:13 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by fever
At first I thought one side would pose an imbalance. But correct me if I am wrong, flow is flow. Both banks come together eventually to create a measured volumetric flow. Then they split offf. However, at the split they should EQUALLY share the increased flow even with only the passenger side augmented.

The end result should be increased and balanced. Am I wrong?
Yes.

Doing one side will make the whole engine more efficient.
Old 01-30-04, 01:20 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by altstadt
JBrady:

For all of us that own pre-98 1UZFE powered cars, I assume the lionshare, why don't you determine how many prepays you need, and post it? I for one, am ready to prepay it right now. I also want your guarantee that the product will be delivered, and that my money will not be lost in the R&D costs, and, your word is sufficient for me on that matter.

So, how about it? Develop both sides, man. That is how this thing started, and that is where my expectations still are.

Thanks,

Altstadt
No, the majority are GS400s.

We need 20 prepays to build the drivers side. I would suggest that once we have the passenger side done we may be able to get the 20, otherwise, my guess it that will be difficult. I am also not willing to "hold" the money or start making that kind of promise. At this point nobody has been required to spend ANYthing so I am sorry but to complain is not really a valid point to take. I am doing my best to get these done. The engine needs help. One manifold is better than one. I have already put in over 6 months on this. Anyone think they can do a better job?
Old 01-30-04, 01:31 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Default Re: no half stepping

Originally posted by Anthracite SC
The point is that the two sides of the manifold should be treated as a whole.
Yes, one might be more complicated to fabricate, but we can't just half step at this stage of the game.
Most of us who were interested in this want the whole shabang.
I have my exhaust guy waiting on these two manifolds because he's going to build me a custom exhaust system around it.

I am not going to go under the knife under the car twice.

Your logic is why would we not want the extra horsepower first, right?

Would I want just one new muffler? I could replace just HALF my muffler system and get 1 better muffler and get the performance of one muffler..but does that really make any sense?
Maybe replace half my tires? Half my seats for a leather upgrade?

I'm not trying to trivilize this here. I'm just trying to convey the sentiment of some of us, because J..you are on your logic of why not get any gain we can for now. Frankly, that's just not enough. We want the whole deal. Half stepping just doesn't cut it.

I TOTALLY appreciate the work and research you are doing and that you had to ***** to do this when no one else would. But in any case..it's really a matter of going all the way with this..even if the 2nd manifold is harder to make..I think a lot of people would rather wait for both fabrications and do it all at once.
The point is that this will at least get SOMETHING done. If you want to find 20 people to prepay for the drivers side... no problem, let me know and I will get them built.

Frankly your comparisons are NOT valid. An engine improvement is an engine improvement. EVERYTHING is ALLWAYS a compromise. You never get the BEST or perfect anything... ever. To improve what we can is the BEST option we currently have. If you decide you don't want to do this... FINE. But please do not post on here confusing others.
Old 01-30-04, 01:49 PM
themustafa
Rookie

I signed up for these headers back in November, and I've been following as best as I can ever since. Additionally, I'd like to preface my comments with thanking jbrady for all his hard work and personal, unpaid effort in all of this.

Along with what others have expressed in the forum, I am looking for a complete solution for both sides, not just the passenger side. Thats like a girl getting half a boob job, it just doesnt cut it. Secondly, because I have a 94 sc400, custom exhaust modifications will have to be made for installation, and completing the entire exhaust system at once will end up cheaper and easier for me and anyone else for whom these headers will not be bolt-on. Additionally, I have a feeling that if the one-sided route is taken, the driver's side is never going to be completed, and we're all left with half a set of headers with no real upgrade path to finish the other side.

However, I would like to know if the driver's side installation issues you described are present in pre-98 sc400's. If required, I am more than happy to provide my 1994 sc400 as a guinea pig. I go to school in Austin, and I am frequently in Houston, as is jbrady, I believe. As I do not check this forum regularly, if you need my car, email me at arifn@mail.utexas.edu.

Again, thanks for all the effort being put into this.
Old 01-30-04, 02:30 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

I am with Anthrantic SC, Alstadt, and everyone else who is in it for the complete set. I dont want to redo my complete exhaust twice I have a 92 SC400 and I to was in it for the complete set. And i have read the thread and yes 6is better than 3 on the pre 98's but i want to do it all at the same time. Please understand that I am not trying to disrespect your hard work but i came into this project expecting to spend 500-600 dollars and not to mention the cost of my custom exhaust setup. Maybe we can get a poll or something on who really wants the DS set also and is willing to get the DS headers. What are the real challenges 4 the pre 98 SC's? Besides the Y-pipe addition. Again Thank you JBrady for everything and I am just voicing my opinion also because I really want more power for my SC.

Philly
Old 01-30-04, 03:45 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Default Re: posting?

Originally posted by Anthracite SC
I think you're getting the wrong idea J. I'm one of the biggest supporters of this. that's why I have my exhaust guy waiting for the goahead. I don't think it's fair for you to think I am confusing anyone or that I don't want to do this. I DO WANT TO DO THIS.

But we're just looking for a FULL improvement. I know that half the manifold will improve efficiency and improve performance. No one questioned that. That's not confusing. What I'm saying is that a lot of us would like the full performance upgrade.

I don't think I should be told NOT to post when it's somethign we might be feeling.

Again..I'm ON YOUR SIDE..not against it. You just asked if people wanted to do this half improvement or not..and I was just expressing why we might not want to.

That's all.
ASC, no problem, and thanks for your support. I sympathize with you and everyone else that would like to improve ALL the cylinders. That would of course be ideal. When I asked that you not post in a way that would confuse what I am saying and NOT just to you but to everyone... if you don't want to do the one side fine... but many readers are unsure what they can expect and while I am explaining that this is MUCH BETTER than nothing they are also reading others posts and becoming confused. Replacing the bad passenger side manifold is a GOOD THING. Please PM me directly if you dissagree. I am extremely fair.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of those commited to buying a set are GS400 owners. The craftsman required a minimum of 20 sets to take on the job. There are not 20 SC400 owners commited and they don't even have to prepay anything.

The problem is more than just difficult construction. The installation of the drivers side is very very hard. If I hold out and try to get 20 prepay buyers before moving this project ahead... there is no telling what or when ANYTHING would be built. Frankly, I am tired of planning and waiting. I have made arrangements to get the passenger side built. Hopefully at least 20 will buy them. While this is happening, anyone that wants to get 20 prepay buyers assembled that is fine. So far about 4 have said they would prepay.

I do apologize if this creates a problem for anyones upgrade calendar. I have been waiting longer than most.
Old 01-30-04, 04:05 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Unless I pickup my 996 first, I'm in for the one side
Lee
Old 01-30-04, 06:32 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DaveGS4:

Can you post a poll or something, or can I, so that we can see how many SC400's are willing to prepay?

JBrady, am I to believe that only 4 or so SC400 guys are even interested in this mod??? If so, I am ashamed of you guys. All that talk about improving your performance and wanting a huge powered turbo or supercharger, and you don't want to buy in on the best bang for your buck? 40 RWHP for $600, that is a steal!!!

Come on SC guys, let's not let this one die!!!

Altstadt

Last edited by SC400T; 01-30-04 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-30-04, 07:15 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, Count me in for the passenger side header. I'm also willing to prepay for the drivers side. I'd also be willing to pay double for the drivers side and require half the commitment.
Old 01-30-04, 08:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

JBrady,

I'm good with the one side or both sides... I'd prefer to get both at once simply because I'm not going to install these myself and I don't think I'll get too much of a price break on doing half at a time... it'll probably be 3/4 cost for the first and 3/4 for the second, lol.

I'll prepay as well if it'll help get this rolling.

Thanks much for your continuing efforts.
Old 01-30-04, 08:36 PM
LEXO
Driver

Hey Dave Just PM'ed you.
Old 01-30-04, 09:14 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Ok, guys, everyone that is in for the passenger side please email me.

Everyone that is willing to prepay for the drivers side... email me.

Some of you have already emailed... I have those, do not resend.

It is actually fairly tricky to keep track of everyones request but do the above and I will keep the list sorted.

my email is jebrady@ev1.net
Old 01-30-04, 09:35 PM
LEXO
Driver

JBrady, YOU GOT MAIL

Quick Reply: Headers for V8 cars, Please read