Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Reality check: Manual swapping a 1998-2000 is easy??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-18, 04:00 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Reality check: Manual swapping a 1998-2000 is easy??

The 1998-2000 SC400 chassis is set up to accommodate a clutch pedal. No ridiculous fab work required like on the GS400.

Collins sells a kit that makes the CD0009 transmission a bolt-in affair. It even retains the A650E bellhousing so no pounding of the tunnel needed.

Guy from Russia sells either an emulator for the automatic transmission to satisfy the ECU, or an entire ECU that would swap right in.

Figure out the interior....

Am I missing anything??? This sounds too good to be true.
Old 12-21-18, 04:59 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by eicca
The 1998-2000 SC400 chassis is set up to accommodate a clutch pedal. No ridiculous fab work required like on the GS400.

Collins sells a kit that makes the CD0009 transmission a bolt-in affair. It even retains the A650E bellhousing so no pounding of the tunnel needed.

Guy from Russia sells either an emulator for the automatic transmission to satisfy the ECU, or an entire ECU that would swap right in.

Figure out the interior....

Am I missing anything??? This sounds too good to be true.
drive shaft and lsd really I'm not sure how much youd have to do with the pedals Ive got an sc300
Old 12-21-18, 08:16 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Another thing, the speedometer in the 98-00 runs off the ABS, right? So manual swapping wouldn’t affect that function like it would on 97 and earlier.

The car is basically begging for a manual swap.
Old 12-22-18, 03:45 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by eicca
Another thing, the speedometer in the 98-00 runs off the ABS, right? So manual swapping wouldn’t affect that function like it would on 97 and earlier.

The car is basically begging for a manual swap.
yeah i figured u had covered that with interior, sealing up the hole in the tunnel so you dont have noise is important too
Old 12-25-18, 03:08 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

You'd want to change out the rear end from the 3.26 ratio to a 3.92 from a 92-97 SC400 or a Supra TT Auto 3.76 LSD diff. I'd get some kind of LSD in the car whether it's a Torsen or aftermarket clutch-type. 3.26 with that setup will feel sluggish. Although I'm not up on the gearing that works best with a CD009 so do check into that.

The pedals and manual hardware isn't the hard issue. That will be the SC400 VVT-i ECU and making it play nice with the manual swap with either the aforementioned A650E shift solenoid simulator (if that is still available) or by externally mounting your original A650E's solenoids in the undercarriage so that the ECU still thinks it's making the transmission shift. Not sure if there are any other issues people have encountered by using the factory VVT-i ECU with a manual. So few have done this swap to such a rare SC variant.

It's more common and easy to manual convert a 1992-1997 SC400.
Old 12-26-18, 02:37 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
You'd want to change out the rear end from the 3.26 ratio to a 3.92 from a 92-97 SC400 or a Supra TT Auto 3.76 LSD diff. I'd get some kind of LSD in the car whether it's a Torsen or aftermarket clutch-type. 3.26 with that setup will feel sluggish. Although I'm not up on the gearing that works best with a CD009 so do check into that.

The pedals and manual hardware isn't the hard issue. That will be the SC400 VVT-i ECU and making it play nice with the manual swap with either the aforementioned A650E shift solenoid simulator (if that is still available) or by externally mounting your original A650E's solenoids in the undercarriage so that the ECU still thinks it's making the transmission shift. Not sure if there are any other issues people have encountered by using the factory VVT-i ECU with a manual. So few have done this swap to such a rare SC variant.

It's more common and easy to manual convert a 1992-1997 SC400.
The CD009 works well with the 3.26 rear end since the final drive is nearly identical to the A650E but gears 1-4 are lower. The GS guys have done it several times with good results.

The GS guys are also getting good results from said emulator. It’s apparently fairly simple to wire in and works perfectly.

Manual swapping a 92-97 definitely takes the ECU kink out, but that speed sensor problem hasn’t been solved with a CD009 as far as I can tell. Besides, I want more power.
Old 12-26-18, 10:53 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

^^ I stand corrected then! I'm familiar with V160, R154, AR5, W58 and Tremec gearing but have just learned a bit about the CD009 gearing. So, good then. No need to swap out the rear end. However eventually rebuilding it with any LSD would still be ideal for more control.

Really glad to hear this emulator has been gaining traction! Simple to wire in and works well sound good to me.

For the speed sensor issue with a CD009, I'm sure someone has suggested or tried this before but what about installing a universal hall effect sensor wheel on some part of the driveshaft with the magnetic pickup mounted just far away enough for clearance? I can see an issue with these parts being exposed to the elements but I have seen it done before on some project car.

If the transmission has no speed sensor drive area then an external hall effect pickup/wheel of some kind is the only other method I can think of. GPS based is too potentially problematic and too reliant on getting clear signals fro the sky at all times.
Old 12-27-18, 11:34 AM
eicca
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ I stand corrected then! I'm familiar with V160, R154, AR5, W58 and Tremec gearing but have just learned a bit about the CD009 gearing. So, good then. No need to swap out the rear end. However eventually rebuilding it with any LSD would still be ideal for more control.

Really glad to hear this emulator has been gaining traction! Simple to wire in and works well sound good to me.

For the speed sensor issue with a CD009, I'm sure someone has suggested or tried this before but what about installing a universal hall effect sensor wheel on some part of the driveshaft with the magnetic pickup mounted just far away enough for clearance? I can see an issue with these parts being exposed to the elements but I have seen it done before on some project car.

If the transmission has no speed sensor drive area then an external hall effect pickup/wheel of some kind is the only other method I can think of. GPS based is too potentially problematic and too reliant on getting clear signals fro the sky at all times.
The AR5 is also on my list. The gear ratios are still lower in first and second than the A650e but slightly higher in 5th, meaning a lower highway RPM. I also believe the Marlin Crawler speed sensor fix gadget will work in the AR5 if it's used in the 97 and earlier, but then I'd have to recalculate all the ratios with that diff and etc etc etc...

For now, it seems the CD009 with the Collins adaptor kit and the A/T emulator into a 98+ is the easiest means to the end.