Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Going turbo the sc300. Advice welcome

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 05:09 PM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going turbo the sc300. Advice welcome

So I've decided to turbo my sc300.
I have a nice 2jz ge now. Im thinking it could be cheaper to get the pistons (somehow, not sure where to find em) and the head gasket. Go with a nice turbo manifold. ~800 injectors. Ecu of some kind, stand alone probably. And no ebay turbo, possibly garrett, though I would like a top mount.

now the other route is buying one of these aristo 2jz gte's on eBay for 2500 and putting the single turbo and bigger injectors on that.

which makes most sense here? Is labor going to be so crazy to put new pistons and head gasket on the GE that the 2500 GTE is better? Won't I need a new manifold and fuel system and ecu for the single turbo anyway?
I want to do a bit of sleeper drag racing, My goal is 500hp+ a bit more than the standard 450 CX racing or other kits bolted to a stock GE. (Yes I know I need an upgraded tranny like cd009 6spd along with axles etc)
help, advice, opinions, thoughts, much appreciated.
Old 05-09-18, 08:47 PM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

So I've been doing a ton of research on the subject. There is a big debate about the pistons of the ge being able to handle the power. And how different they are from th pistons. It seems that the issue may not be the strength of the ge pistons but the fact that even with the head spacer it will have higher compression. 10.1 compared to the GTE 8.5.
so that' kind of the biggest factor for me before I start collcting parts.
Old 05-09-18, 10:24 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

you may have already saw, but this NA-T bible is a good read: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...A-T-conversion

Not sure how much HP 7-8PSI gets with with the GE compression/headgasket.
Old 05-10-18, 03:03 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Zero difference in power handling between GE and GTE styled pistons , both made of same cast material . Ive been at 600rwhp on 93oct since 2010 and boosted stock GE motor since 2007 and still on same motor and almost daily drive my car

Comes down to ECU ,tuner ability and setup and finally intended purpose and care of car .
Old 05-10-18, 08:29 AM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

Yes I have read the na-t bible thread many many times. Very informative. Thank you.

lexforlife- that's very interesting to know about the pistons... now I have to decide if I I want to save the $2k or fork it out and build the engine and trans while having a running car.
+side is having a spare perfect 2jz ge/w58 combo lying around.
Old 05-10-18, 10:52 AM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

Yes yes. 10k $ including the trans would be great. It' not about the 'car' it's about the dream project and what I want to build to be a bit different than a camaro or mustang. Sleeperish at the track. I'm choosing to do this 500hp sc300 before putting into my 944 v8 project. If that puts things in perspective.
Old 05-10-18, 10:54 AM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

Pretty sure I'm gonna shop for a 2jzgte this month and go from there. Need to research best turbo options. AEM stand alone seems good. I will match injectors later.
Old 05-11-18, 04:12 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

sorry , mis info posted above theres no difference in power handling between GE and GTE piston. GE safely handling 7/8psi just wrong. I'm at 19psi for last 8years on pump gas .. I will admit this. It comes down to having a standalone for na-t or at a min GTE ECU mod by Ali . Na ECU has no lookup maps for timing in positive pressure. Having better control of timing will yield safe running conditions. Using GTE head gasket will lower cr to around 9:3 ish . Hell if you plan on running true flexfuel setup you could use same GE head gasket with some arp hardware and keep 10cr and boost away as the GTE head gasket approach does not offer optimal quench and squish within combustion chamber but it works and works well as that's what I use

Research and also use supra forums as their are many high hp na-t setup over there you can read about