Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Roll-up ramp recommendation for near stock height SC300 with 97+ OEM front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-17, 12:04 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts
Default Roll-up ramp recommendation for near stock height SC300 with 97+ OEM front bumper

Hey all,

I'd like to get some under-engine access to my SC to do a little work and my garage space is too narrow and smooth to use a 3-ton hydraulic jack and stands safely. I've always used stands and a big truck jack in the past to get access under the car but I thought I might go with a set of roll-up ramps this time due to my space and surface constraints. They seem like they'd be safer and faster to use with a spotter.

I have learned Corvette owners love the RaceRamps products with the many versions and extender options available since their cars are so low but I really just want to get some ramps that are inexpensive, sturdy and simple that works safely. I don't cheap out on quality tools when precision is needed but a lot of the time the most expensive option isn't needed.

I have a set of rear wheel chucks and Harbor Freight has a set of thick hard plastic ramps with integrated front chucks for $40.00 that look like they'd get the job done safely: "Magnum-16000 Auto Ramp Set With Built-In Safety Chock" (HF SKU# DAVRIC - Item#67722)

What I don't want to do is tear up my front bumper. I have an OEM 97+ type with no extra lip and my car is almost at a stock ride height front and rear... I'm about 1" lower than stock-- no more than that. Has anyone successfully used these or similar ramps with a nearly stock height SC? Further, does anyone have a good inexpensive ramp recommendation that is better? I like what RaceRamps sells but I don't currently want to spend $200++ on one of their products.

Thanks!

Here's what the HF ramp looks like:

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-12-17 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-12-17, 07:45 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

The thing that makes the race ramps effective is their length. It allows you to gradually drive up an incline. Most of the cheaper plastic ones are too short and will hit our front bumpers. Personally, I use 2 floor jacks and lift at the front tow hook on one side to able to slide the 2nd jack to the center lift point.

The cheapest option is to build them out of wood, but it would be really heavy and you'd have to store these monsters somewhere.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-f-ramps.html
Old 10-12-17, 08:45 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I picked up the Harbor Freight ramps a couple months ago.They're surprisingly good quality, especially for the price. I've used them with a RX350 & Volvo S80 and they worked great. I can't comment on how they are with SC's though, since my transmission is toast lol. I think you would scrape the front bumper though, considering how close the Volvo came to scraping.
Old 10-12-17, 01:42 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

You could probably get away with piecing some cut 2x4s (stacked) and place them ahead of the ramp so the car is elevated a bit more.
Old 10-12-17, 02:23 PM
KahnBB6

Thanks, guys! Hmm... it does seem like I'll be skirting a bad bumper scrape episode if I use anything BUT the expensive RaceRamps (although the 2x4 extension idea is a good one too). I need to research some more ramp products, then. The simplest answer seems to be the right one: we need a much longer/gradual than average incline angle with SC's so as not to damage our front bumpers.

As for right now I can work around not having any ramps or jacking to do what I need to in the engine bay. Appropriate ramps would just be a nice thing to have for some things or even just regular oil changes.
Old 10-12-17, 02:48 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I've got a set of those HF ramps for trailer stuff. They appear to be solid enough, although I haven't used them yet. Honestly, I wouldn't get under a car with HF plastic holding it up... I've seen too much of their stuff fail. (I do trust their jacks and stands, though, so go figure.)

The biggest challenge with all the drive-up ramps is width. Most of them max out at around 8" between the lips. I can barely center my 225 front tires on the old set (can't recall the brand off hand) I've got. You really don't want to be pushing thousands of pounds over the side of something that can tip or buckle. To get anything in the 9-10" range jumps up in price dramatically.
Old 10-12-17, 07:34 PM
KahnBB6

^^ Yikes! Thank you for the heads up t2d2! My tires definitely will not fit on these. I have 235's in the front and there is no way my 275 rears would fit if 225's are difficult enough.

The RaceRamp products are sounding more ideal and proven the more you guys educate me in this thread. Still very expensive but it seems like a much better product if jack stands and a 3 ton hydraulic jack aren't feasible.

I guess with car ramps...you get what you pay for?

Thank you everyone for chiming in with good advice!
Old 10-14-17, 12:23 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Does anyone make jack stands with rubber, non-skid feet? If you can find something like that, it might be your best bet.
Old 10-14-17, 09:29 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Race ramps are good I have something similar, when the car is too low when i pull up to the ramp if bumper hits the ramp I use a 2x10 piece of wood about 3 feet long to put it like in the pic so I roll up on it
It will give you a low angle approach
Attached Thumbnails Roll-up ramp recommendation for near stock height SC300 with 97+ OEM front bumper-image.jpg  
Old 10-16-17, 05:57 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
Does anyone make jack stands with rubber, non-skid feet? If you can find something like that, it might be your best bet.
Or KISS ... put some grippy rubber mats down on the slick floor, and put the jack stands on those. Something dense that won't be tipsy.
Old 10-16-17, 05:53 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

I have these. Hands down the best ramps I've ever seen.
I'm lowered and with these my bumper doesn't even touch the ramp.
Any time I need to mess around under the car I just whip these out and drive the car up onto them

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/gara...xt-race-ramps/
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (10-18-17)
Old 10-16-17, 05:59 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

As for jackstands that won't slip, I use these when i need them.
Big Red aluminum jack stands. I originally got these because they were the only jacks that couldn't sink into the asphalt on my parents' driveway. They don't have rubber feet or anything, but they do have the largest footprint of a jackstand I've ever seen. The diameter of the base is 8 inches

http://www.torinjacksusa.com/bigred/...ck-stands.html
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (10-18-17)
Old 10-17-17, 01:25 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
I have these. Hands down the best ramps I've ever seen.
I'm lowered and with these my bumper doesn't even touch the ramp.
Any time I need to mess around under the car I just whip these out and drive the car up onto them

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/gara...xt-race-ramps/
I'm glad to know they work on the SC, I might have to get a pair in the future.

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
As for jackstands that won't slip, I use these when i need them.
Big Red aluminum jack stands. I originally got these because they were the only jacks that couldn't sink into the asphalt on my parents' driveway. They don't have rubber feet or anything, but they do have the largest footprint of a jackstand I've ever seen. The diameter of the base is 8 inches

http://www.torinjacksusa.com/bigred/...ck-stands.html
I bought these from a local pep boys, they work fine. The tolerances on the Big red jackstands are a bit sloppier compared to my OTC 1582 jackstands, but they still get the job done. The best jackstands I've owned/used are the incredibly expensive Esco 10498 they're around $65-$70 each. I thought that was the price per pair, so I bought two and was in for a surprise when they arrived. If I had known, I probably would have stuck with the OTC stands.