Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-17, 09:29 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car won’t start

Alright guys I'm very nearly finished with my 1992 VVT-I drivetrain swap from a 99, and I plan on completing a more in-depth write up once the car is finished,BUT FOR SOME REASON THE STARTER WON'T EVEN ENGAGE but the cluster lights up and I know the security system is working fine because the red light under the cluster isn't staying solid red
I also think I broke the clock spring, but that wouldn't prevent it from starting right? And Dont have an airbag module put in, because who the hell cares?
but as of rn
I've swapped over these parts from the 99 Car into the 92
  • Engine and transmission
  • Main 99 ECU and COMPLETE WIRING HARNESS
  • Spliced only 6 wires total, 3 for the wipers, which work, and three for the fuel sensor harness to work with the 99 harness while retaining the 92 fuel sensor
  • Then entire Heating and cooling system,
  • Radiator and Condenser. powersteering etc
  • Charcoal Canister, plugged in but the vacuum lines haven't been set up and could still use some photos
  • Daytime Running lights
  • Ignition barrel from 99 but not column t
  • Entire front suspension, subrame and all.
  • Fuel, and Brake lines, and ABS system.
  • Speedometer and shifter
What I've kept on the 92 car RIGHT NOW
  • The 3.92 Rear end,
  • The Fuel tank, which I'll be changing tomorrow morning so I can have the tank without the return line setup,
  • Half the drive shaft to work with the 3.92
  • The Emergency brake cable
  • The 92 Lock actuators and window regulators
  • Upper Steering Column
And that's the state of the car right now, speedo lights up but will not start the engine, I can hear the fuel pump though as I turn the key... I'd really appreciate the help people, I'm really running out of time for this car before I'd have to park it until next summer..
This is the car except now it's got the radiator, fan and condeneser
the interior, but now it's got the newer shifter
the 99 key swapped in
Old 10-08-17, 05:26 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Anybody got ideas?? Replies are rare in the maintenance section
Old 10-08-17, 07:10 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The only thing that crossed my mind, besides the wiring needs to be checked at the passenger side right foot area where it comes out of ecu and going to the body loom...
Is make sure all your wires are plugged and Ecu pinouts are correct to your loom

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 10-08-17 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 08:23 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Thanks a lot Lexxium for the reply! It's much appreciated,
and I swapped over the entire loom from the 99 so for sure it's for the parts that are in the car, and looked at the ECU pins and they're all straight as an arrow, however there's one small four wire plug that doesn't plug into anything coming off the engine harness.
Also I was able to confirm the fuel pump works really well when I turn the key but no crank at all from the starter...
Tomorrow I'll buy a new battery for it and try the process again, it's been getting it's power from a battery booster this entire time.
Old 10-10-17, 07:10 PM
BlueJ
Driver

No change despite the addition of the battery Literally no clue where to go next with this...
Old 10-10-17, 08:14 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

My first guess was going to be the immobilizer system, but you said the security light turns off, so it seems to be working. Plus, if the immobilizer was the issue the car should still crank, but it won't turn over.

The other common non-start issue after a swap is missing or improperly installed grounds.
Old 10-10-17, 09:39 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
My first guess was going to be the immobilizer system, but you said the security light turns off, so it seems to be working. Plus, if the immobilizer was the issue the car should still crank, but it won't turn over.

The other common non-start issue after a swap is missing or improperly installed grounds.
Do you know if the starters have separate grounds themselves?
Old 10-10-17, 10:31 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueJ
Do you know if the starters have separate grounds themselves?
Most starters are grounded through the engine with the mounting bolts. You could add a thick wire and ground the starter directly to the chassis using the mounting bolts. Do you know if the engine started up fine before you swapped it in? It's possible the original starter is stuck and not moving.
Old 10-10-17, 10:37 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Most starters are grounded through the engine with the mounting bolts. You could add a thick wire and ground the starter directly to the chassis using the mounting bolts. Do you know if the engine started up fine before you swapped it in? It's possible the original starter is stuck and not moving.
I considered that but the engine ran perfectly and started perfectly when it was in the 99, and in that case I guess I'm gonna have go to the starter, therefore removing the intake manifold and almost everything around it....