Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Random no start issue on 98 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-17, 09:07 AM
Ijmsc30098
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random no start issue on 98 SC300

To start this is my first post please don't bash if there is a simple forum link you can provide please do. Yes I know how to search but cant find any post that is exact to mine. Also clear responses on this topic are scarce.
Randomly, when cold started only, my sc300 will not crank. All electronic devices still work the only thing I haven't checked is headlights.(I believe they do) When i put the key in everything comes on like normal, all the engine lights shut off, and when i try to crank it nothing happens. The lights don't dim and I don't hear any noises. If I turn the key to off and try and again the same thing happens. However, if I remove the key and then try it fires up like normal well once, the other time it happened she didn't sound as healthy as usual but this morning was fine. (AFTER not starting the first key insertion)
I'm led to believe it could be the starter relay as I don't hear the click and a simple key reinsertion seems to fix the problem. But I'm not sure any help would be appreciated
Thanks Spencer

Ps. My car only has 88k if that helps
Old 09-27-17, 05:17 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Could also be the starter itself if the contacts inside are bad? On another car I have, when the actual starter itself was going bad, it would crank slower over time (similar to a low battery issue) and eventually would not crank over at all.
Old 09-27-17, 06:02 PM
Ijmsc30098
Driver School Candidate

Right I was also considering that. My buddy seems to think it could be related to my actual ignition cylinder but I'm not sure. The only other things I can find it may be is the neutral start sensor on the transmission, or possibly its power related? Maybe a bad ground? I'm going to check the battery and wires for any corrosion tomorrow. Beyond that I'm a little stumped and would prefer to get some more solid opinions before I just start replacing the whole system.
Old 09-29-17, 11:14 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting info regarding the security reset feature. Though, it is odd that it would happen when your car is cold only. Still good info for me since I have a 98 also.
Old 09-29-17, 11:39 PM
Ijmsc30098
Driver School Candidate

I agree I will update the post if it's just coincidence and ends up being something else. I just bought the vehicle about 2 months ago and may be using what was the back up key? I have no idea when it actually stopped doing it I was kinda blown away.
Old 09-29-17, 11:43 PM
Ijmsc30098
Driver School Candidate

Fingers crossed
Old 01-23-20, 05:30 PM
SC3001995
Driver School Candidate

Last week in 20 degree F weather I experienced what appears to be the same problem with my '95 SC300 (manual transmission). All electrics worked normally until I turned the ignition key to 'Start'. At that point, the dashboard went dark, as it normally does when the starter motor is cranking the engine, but it did not crank. I removed the key and tried again, probably five times, with the same result - no crank. I had driven the car the previous day, in warmer temperatures, with no problem. I connected a portable jump-start battery device, which made no difference. I was able to get by without the car, so left it sit. When the weather got up into the 40s, it started normally, and has continued to function normally in 40-50 degree weather. So, it seemed to be cold-temperature related. It did not occur to me that the anti-theft deterrent system might be malfunctioning. Possibly related, in cold weather the built-in car alarm will occasionally go off when I unlock one of the doors with the key. It goes off when I relock and unlock the opposite door, with the key. Also, I have noticed in sub-freezing weather that the door locks will lock and unlock on their own as I drive down the road. Neither is a big problem, but both are annoying. Are these problems related? Is replacing the anti-theft deterrent ECU an effective solution? Is it practical, considering availability, cost, and diffuculty to replace? Thanks for any help!
Old 01-23-20, 07:15 PM
Ijmsc30098
Driver School Candidate

Default Reply to sc300 1995

Hi I’m sorry this is an old post and I never updated it. The issue ended up being 100% due to the starter and I believe that is also your issue. My #1 way of confirming this is to locate your starter( under intake if you’re new) and when the issue is present hit it with a wrench or such. If your starter isn’t completely fried this will reposition the contacts and your car will start. I can almost guarantee this is your issue it’s very common on sc’s and a very easy job to do yourself.
Old 01-25-20, 01:26 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ Seconding Ijmsc30098's reply. Hitting your starter with a hammer or other blunt tool usually cures the issue for a while. Eventually though the starter either needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

The good news for our 2JZ starters is that they are SO well made, usually they can be remedied just by replacing the contactors and plunger with new OEM parts. The starter has to be temporarily removed (best with the car safely jacked up on stands and removed from underneath) and then on a workbench you use all of these OEM replacement bits to service it before reinstallation:

2JZ starter rebuilt kit:
28226-74070 — Motor Terminal
28226-22050 — Battery Terminal
28235-55050 — Plunger

Optional: if the casing has surface wear from age and the elements you can clean it up with a Dremel and one of the compatible micro wire wheel kits (being careful not to nick the rubber bits on the starter or any plastic or wire connections).

Although to be honest if the weather is at 20 degree range this is not a job you want to get into at the moment. Although the starter on the 2JZ is very easy to get to it's certainly not very fun to get under your car even when it's in the 40-50 degree range let alone in the 20's.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-25-20 at 01:39 AM.