Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ignition-no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 10:29 AM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition-no start issue

did the search for a while.. having the exact symptoms as this guy
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...ght=wont+start

heres the deal.. drove the car all day.. started it maybe 15 times over the day. Finally got in it again to move it and nothing. Its not the battery or starter. they key goes into the ignition but nothing lights up (dash lights etc etc) when i turn it over to ACC nothing comes on ( no radio or anything) when you turn the key more to the right to start it there is usually a click or some resistance before it starts. That resistance isnt there anymore and the key spins freely from acc to start. At first I thought it was the ignition but after talking to some people they think its the key cylinder. I was told to pull the key cylinder out and I should be able to start it with a screwdriver or something else.

At this point i have dropped the steering column and removed the key cylinder from the ignition. Should i be able to start the car with a screw driver or pliers? Also when the key cylinder was in the ignition the car wouldnt get any power when the acc was on ( no dash lights etc etc) Could the problem be something else too?

Thanks
Blair
Old 05-31-07, 07:00 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Check the 40A ignition fuse near the kick panel go through all the fuses just get a tester so u won't have to pull them all out
Old 06-01-07, 12:07 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default screw driver

Yeah! If you have the cylinder out and you can get to the shaft that the cylinder drives, turning that shaft should move the switch to the various positions.

You said 'you felt that the key had a different FEEL". I don't know about my lex, but the key cylinder is usually a seperate part from the actual electrical switch mechanism. The spring that causes the key to return from the start posit and has the detents is part of the switch, not the cylinder. Again...in the cars I have worked on in the past. You sound like you have a broken switch. Gazi Aliga is your source for parts and he will tell you what is wrong if you pm him. The rest of us just guess...

Good luck

John