Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

No coolant but no overheat ..??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 04:34 PM
Prajash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No coolant but no overheat ..??

Hi everybody,

Sorry for my bad english, Im from Surinam
But I really need your help. I bought my sc400 a while ago. It was covered in leaves, rat poop and roaches. It was ready for the yard you could say.

But I made it live again. After changing lots of stuff the engine run like clockwork.

Except for 1 thing. I would get so hot, there was coming smoke from the exhaust manifolds. But I didnt ever tought it was overheating because the temp needle always just gradually came to the middle of the gauge and just stayed there. Just like it suppose to be. The engine was also knocking really hard when hitting sudden throttle or when starting hot. (only when hot)
Until i opened up the thermostate housing. That sucker was rusted shut. There was also dirt in one of the hoses going to the engine. The engine wasnt getting any water at all. I Guess it ia the water byoass hose.

The point is. How can it be, the temp gauge didnt rise. And what could be the consequence of this. The max distance the car drove was 6 km. And only did that 2 or 3 times.

I do have a major leakage of water at the waterpump, which Im going to fix soon. Because I have a new one

Many thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-17, 07:24 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

The sensor sits IN the coolant to measure the temp. Once coolant is gone, you get bad information.

Salim
Old 09-06-17, 07:47 PM
Prajash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
The sensor sits IN the coolant to measure the temp. Once coolant is gone, you get bad information.

Salim

I understand.. but how do people get hot engine reading on there temp guage if they for example they have a coolant leakage and al the coolant leaks away?