Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc300 manual trans swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 04:36 PM
Rmg93SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc300 manual trans swap

So I wanna do a manual swap in my sc but I don't wanna go with a w58 or r154 I wanna do somthing different like a AR-5 from a Pontiac solstice or possibly a ka trans from a 240sx are any of these 2 transmission possible to put into a sc? If so what are some parts imma need to do the conversion I know all the parts I'll need to do a w58 and r154 but what would I need for a AR5 or KA trans. I'm treading in water I never been in doing a tranny swap but there no better time to learn then know. So any help anyone can give me would be great thanks.
Old 07-14-17, 08:57 AM
BlueJ
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The KA trans with it's smaller size has been known to fit pretty well in the SC chassis, however I only know of one company making accommodations for that transmission and that's Collins Swap Kits, and they're really not the best to deal with in terms of customer service, in addition to that they only make KA & SC friendly hardware for the SC400, for the SC300, they only make stuff for the CD009, which is million times better in every respect.

But quite frankly I'd still just go the r154 route especially since your going with a JZ, parts are offered for the trans to increase the horsepower capabilities and it fits right in for the most part.
Old 07-14-17, 01:11 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

For an SC300 the R154 will be the most bolt-in strong and affordable manual transmission solution. One from a Soarer requires less to do.

An MKIII Supra R154 is also nearly bolt in but all it requires: a 1JZ R154 bellhousing, Marlin Crawler VSS convertor, an old 91-93 Soarer R154 extension housing and internal arm (if you can find them used, they are discontinued now) or an extension housing and arm lengthening kit from Xcessive Manufacturing (but call them for exact fitment for the SC) or a custom made extension housing from Driftmotion (they use a jig to extend customer housings). Also the crossmember will need to be one from Xcessive or CX Racing or my personally least preferred option, the crossmember adaptor kit that Driftmotion sells. You will use an MKIII R154 transmission rubber mount for this application and not an SC300/MKIV W58 rubber mount.

Internal upgrade parts are available for R154's from Driftmotion and Marlin Crawler. All very good parts. Some upgrade parts also exist for some versions of the Soarer R154... at least the early Soarer tripod versions.

AR5 5-speeds from the Solstice are extremely similar to the R154 and only require a little more work than an MKIII R154 to adapt (the front input shaft and shifter setup I believe are the main differences.

KA24DE transmissions I can't say much about from experience. As mentioned above I have read more about them being adapted to SC400/1UZ's than SC300/2JZ's.

CD009's are very popular, strong and affordable. I can't speak much from experience with swapping them but many people use them. I would look carefully into the flywheel and clutch options for them and also the recent information on how to wire up a proper vehicle speed signal without a GPS setup. I think the newest solution is to use some electronics from Dakota Digital for a non-GPS vehicle speed signal, if I am not mistaken.

V160's.... they're so very expensive now and hard to find certain internal (and external) parts for that for all their strong points and robustness they've become more of a collector's transmission. Still the best choice of all but they cost a small fortune to get into now.

Finally there is the Tremec T56 "Magnum" which has been adapted for the 2JZ engine. These are the aftermarket version of the TR6060 that the Shelby GT500, Dodge Viper, Cadillac CTS-V, ATS-V, Chevrolet SS sedan 6MT and perhaps a couple of other cars I am forgetting all come with. They are actually rated for more constant torque than a V160. Grannas Racing sells swap kits for them. Still not the most affordable option but today it's the strongest manual transmission for the price available.

I'd be remiss if I didn't address the tried and true W58. Still a very good NA manual gearbox that is eager to rev. It just isn't suited to the sudden shock loading that a turbocharged engine will throw at it. I loved my stock W58 but it had to go if I wanted to boost reliably for the long term. Without boost they are an excellent and reliable gearbox. Unfortunately there are almost no upgrade parts for them other than an extremely expensive gearset from... PGS I think. A few thousand for those gearsets special ordered from Europe.
The following 4 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
BlueJ (07-14-17), BradyJ3 (08-06-17), MrGi11 (01-06-21), Murfaderf (04-30-19)
Old 07-14-17, 04:32 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Kahn, you sir are a fountain of knowledge, I'm definitely saving this post,
Old 07-15-17, 02:16 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueJ
Kahn, you sir are a fountain of knowledge, I'm definitely saving this post,
Old 07-24-17, 06:21 PM
Rmg93SC
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the info tat helps a lot I happened to find that drift motion sells parts for Jz motor to AR5 so that's I might go with.since they are much like r154's thanks again!
Originally Posted by KahnBB6
For an SC300 the R154 will be the most bolt-in strong and affordable manual transmission solution. One from a Soarer requires less to do.

An MKIII Supra R154 is also nearly bolt in but all it requires: a 1JZ R154 bellhousing, Marlin Crawler VSS convertor, an old 91-93 Soarer R154 extension housing and internal arm thank(if you can find them used, they are discontinued now) or an extension housing and arm lengthening kit from Xcessive Manufacturing (but call them for exact fitment for the SC) or a custom made extension housing from Driftmotion (they use a jig to extend customer housings). Also the crossmember will need to be one from Xcessive or CX Racing or my personally least preferred option, the crossmember adaptor kit that Driftmotion sells. You will use an MKIII R154 transmission rubber mount for this application and not an SC300/MKIV W58 rubber mount.

Internal upgrade parts are available for R154's from Driftmotion and Marlin Crawler. All very good parts. Some upgrade parts also exist for some versions of the Soarer R154... at least the early Soarer tripod versions.

AR5 5-speeds from the Solstice are extremely similar to the R154 and only require a little more work than an MKIII R154 to adapt (the front input shaft and shifter setup I believe are the main differences.

KA24DE transmissions I can't say much about from experience. As mentioned above I have read more about them being adapted to SC400/1UZ's than SC300/2JZ's.

CD009's are very popular, strong and affordable. I can't speak much from experience with swapping them but many people use them. I would look carefully into the flywheel and clutch options for them and also the recent information on how to wire up a proper vehicle speed signal without a GPS setup. I think the newest solution is to use some electronics from Dakota Digital for a non-GPS vehicle speed signal, if I am not mistaken.

V160's.... they're so very expensive now and hard to find certain internal (and external) parts for that for all their strong points and robustness they've become more of a collector's transmission. Still the best choice of all but they cost a small fortune to get into now.

Finally there is the Tremec T56 "Magnum" which has been adapted for the 2JZ engine. These are the aftermarket version of the TR6060 that the Shelby GT500, Dodge Viper, Cadillac CTS-V, ATS-V, Chevrolet SS sedan 6MT and perhaps a couple of other cars I am forgetting all come with. They are actually rated for more constant torque than a V160. Grannas Racing sells swap kits for them. Still not the most affordable option but today it's the strongest manual transmission for the price available.

I'd be remiss if I didn't address the tried and true W58. Still a very good NA manual gearbox that is eager to rev. It just isn't suited to the sudden shock loading that a turbocharged engine will throw at it. I loved my stock W58 but it had to go if I wanted to boost reliably for the long term. Without boost they are an excellent and reliable gearbox. Unfortunately there are almost no upgrade parts for them other than an extremely expensive gearset from... PGS I think. A few thousand for those gearsets special ordered from Europe.
c
Old 08-02-17, 06:42 PM
Jdmsc5spd
Driver School Candidate

I have 2 1uz/w58 swaps one boosted (sc400) and one n/a (sr5 pickup)...I like them not putting crazy power down but.....had to replaced one when i bought the car i knew already before buying it and i had to rebuild one after i driven it for about 3 or 4 years both in my boost car think i was due to having a 3.26 diff in it though to much load. Now i have a spare one i rebuilt for just in case. If i did it again i would go r154 or that 6 speed out of a Z
Old 08-06-17, 08:52 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Originally Posted by Jdmsc5spd
I have 2 1uz/w58 swaps one boosted (sc400) and one n/a (sr5 pickup)...I like them not putting crazy power down but.....had to replaced one when i bought the car i knew already before buying it and i had to rebuild one after i driven it for about 3 or 4 years both in my boost car think i was due to having a 3.26 diff in it though to much load. Now i have a spare one i rebuilt for just in case. If i did it again i would go r154 or that 6 speed out of a Z
only problem with using a Nissan trans is having to rely on Collins for replacement parts, but otherwise they're kit is pretty solid
Old 08-09-17, 09:15 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just buy one of the brand new built R-154's from DriftMotion....thats the route I went.
Old 08-09-17, 12:11 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

There's a local who runs a KA trans on his SC400. I don't think he's making tons of power, but he drifts it so he isn't exactly gentle on it in the regards. He's had it in there a couple years now I believe with no issues.

I run the Collin's CD009 kit personally, so far so good.

They all have their pro's n con's. AR-5 is an interesting option. Give it a shot and report back, there aren't tons of SC guys running em that I've seen so it would be good to get some feedback on one.
Old 08-11-17, 02:05 PM
Rmg93SC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Halon
There's a local who runs a KA trans on his SC400. I don't think he's making tons of power, but he drifts it so he isn't exactly gentle on it in the regards. He's had it in there a couple years now I believe with no issues.

I run the Collin's CD009 kit personally, so far so good.

They all have their pro's n con's. AR-5 is an interesting option. Give it a shot and report back, there aren't tons of SC guys running em that I've seen so it would be good to get some feedback on one.
Yes I will definally get some feedback once it's done I'm still saving up it's hard being a 17 year old kid trying to build a drift car but I'll get there
Old 09-11-20, 05:55 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Would this work for a 400?? Very nice write up.. Thank you for sharing...
Old 09-17-20, 08:23 PM
MrGi11
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

thank you for this. good info
Old 04-19-21, 11:15 AM
sc3hundo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Idk how to delete a post I accidentally posted in the wrong thread lol

Last edited by sc3hundo; 04-19-21 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Oops wrong thread
Old 05-11-22, 07:36 PM
Dustin1992
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is this, "thread," still active? I kind of need some help. I started to put an AR5 in my 92 sc300 and I am curious if anybody on here has done this swap using the stock solstice or slingshot shifter? Please post pics if you have.

Quick Reply: Sc300 manual trans swap