Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Replacing Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 09:37 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing Cluster

Can anyone tell how difficult and the steps required to replace my gauge cluster? I have been looking at the forum and I see that there is a company called Tanin that specializes in repairing clusters. My cluster was working intermittently until about 2 years ago when it stopped working completely -- the speedometer and pedometer are not working at all so I have no idea how fast I am driving or how many miles I have on my car. I was using a GPS device plugged into the cigarette lighter for my speed but my cigarette lighter is no longer working so I now have a serious problem that needs to be fixed.

I initially thought the VSS was not working because I have a check engine light that has been on since the cluster started to malfunction. I replaced the VSS and that did not fix either the check engine light or the cluster. I began looking through the forum and I saw some posts discussing Tanin -- the company's website states that the problems I am having are common problems with the cluster. I know the cluster is no longer available from the dealership -- they have discontinued the cluster and from what I can tell they were only outsourcing repairs to them when they were stocking the clusters.

Any insight into how I can remove my cluster would be greatly appreciated as well as any information on the cigarette lighter problems because I really need my radar detector -- I feel so naked without it.
Old 01-24-17, 09:39 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Geez this sounds exactly like me..
No speedometer, no odometer

To give you a short summary, your cluster is most likely to be at fault. I ordered a VSS too and it didn't help. The mileage is still probably being counted but you just can't see it. I contacted the dealerships in Houston to find out how much it would cost to get it fixed, they have to ship the cluster back to Japan for odometer correction and your car has to be there until they get it. Dealerships gave me a cost of ~$1,000... that's for the speedometer and odometer ECU inside the cluster. Tanin will repair your cluster but they also do odometer correction for $90 I think, so if you want you can get a cheap cluster from the junkyard and get it corrected. I found myself a cluster from the junkyard for really cheap and may bother with odometer correction if need be.

Removing the cluster is pretty simple, you sill see there are two plastic bits on the inner top side of the cluster, you'll need to pull those out by using some type of thin bent screwdriver. Once those plastic bits come out, they will have two screws inside them. Remove them and you'll have two more screws to take out. To find those screws, you will need to pull out the panel below the instrument cluster, the one which has trip buttons and brightness control. That panel is held by two clips inside, so you'll need to use some force to pull them off. Once that is out, you'll need to disconnect the two plugs from it. Put that to side and you'll notice there are two screws hidden in the back, this is where you'll need your magnetic screwdriver, you don't want to lose those screws. Once those are removed, use a flat screwdriver on the top side of the trim and instrument cluster to loosen the cluster, don't use too much force for that. Now you should be able to pull off the cluster, there will be many connectors on it, the hardest one to get out is the orange one so leave it for last. Once all are removed, pull out as much as you can and access the cluster from the side so you get more clearance to remove that orange connector. That is all, you don't need to disconnect the battery or anything before doing this procedure.
Old 01-26-17, 04:31 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

can a 1993 cluster be swapped into a 1992?
Old 01-26-17, 04:57 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

Dr. Atomica,
I saw a company on ebay called BBA-Reman Inc offering a repair service for clusters with a lifetime warranty -- are you familiar with their work? Their lifetime warranty sounds good but my concern is when I contacted them about my specific problem of no MPH gauge and blacked out mileage they said it was not the usual problem they deal with -- they offer a full refund if they cannot fix the problem. The link to their ebay website is attached if anyone wants to review it -- I wanted to know if anyone has used them or is Tanin my best option with their 5 year warranty?

From your reply I take it the information I have read about the airbag light being engaged if I turn on the ignition without the cluster is obviously true if you are suggesting that I get a 2nd used cluster to send to Tanin for repair and/or correction, is that correct? This is my only vehicle so if that is true I will need to make other arrangements or perhaps get a used 2nd cluster -- I have been using digiHUD on my phone for MPH speed when I drive because my cigarette lighter stopped working when I used an electric air compressor to inflate my tires about 3 months ago -- I don't know why it doesn't work because the fuse is not blown.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Lexus-S.../330684617973?
Old 01-26-17, 06:05 AM
Returd
Intermediate

I'd look for a used cluster and swap it.

on the lighter I'd suspect a lousy connection. Probably overheated with the tire pump. I'd start right at the lighter connections. I imagine if it's the lighter socket itself you could swap in another from any Toyota or probably a number of different cars. Sounds like an excuse for a trip to a pick and pull.
Old 01-26-17, 06:46 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

Returd,
Thank you for the reply. I will try to find a SC in a junk yard but that usually ends with no luck -- still if I can find a cluster you are right it is the easiest solution. Several years ago when the cluster was working but only intermittently failing I was offered a cluster to purchase -- I thought the problem was related to the check engine light so I declined.

Hindsight being what it is -- just a lost opportunity. Also, I will look at that lighter connection -- to see if that is the problem -- if it is not a bad connection then your suggestion of the lighter socket seems like the most logical cause for the problem. I really need my radar detector working just as badly as my cluster. Your response is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-17, 09:54 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm not familiar with BBA-Reman but I have seen them many times on eBay. The odometer and speedometer problem is common in 98+ SCs, so if you've got one of those, like me you'll have issues finding a cluster.

As far as the connection goes, it's not something to do with a lousy connection, but because of aged electronic components. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the ceramic resonators used by Denso simply do not age that well, which causes resistance to fall short and cause the speedometer and odometer to stop working. It's a bit harder to access these parts compared to a 92-97 cluster and if you have no soldering experience I suggest you leave it to a professional.

For odometer correction I suggest contacting Tanin Auto for the exact details. As for the cluster issue, you could get two clusters but that may cost you a bit too much. I'm not sure if the vehicle can be run without a instrument cluster, you could just keep using DigiHub until your cluster arrives back from repair.

Btw, what year is your SC and where do you live in Texas?
Old 01-26-17, 10:00 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

Dr. Atomica,
Thanks. I have a 97 SC300 and I am in Plano. May be relocating in the near future to the Houston area -- I have family in Spring who are trying to get me to relo there.
Old 01-26-17, 10:06 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

Returd,
I have been researching the forum and I have run across several threads that may address your question if you have not already found that information. I am attaching the links that I believe may be of help to you. Additionally, from what I can see there is a member O.L.T. who appears to be well versed in the cluster ins and outs -- he can probably help you with your specific question if you send him a private message (PM).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/652074-95-sc300-cluster-in-92-sc400-dead-rpm-need-help.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/334783-gauge-cluster.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/109083-manual-cluster-in-an-automatic-sc300.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/475485-cluster-question.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/424164-lextech-s-gauge-cluster-needles-question-on-a-1993-sc400.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/608967-sc300-cluster.html
The following users liked this post:
Returd (01-27-17)
Old 01-26-17, 05:58 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Removal of the cluster is documented in a couple of the threads above.

Once removed, send it to Tanin for repair/restoration. They have a great reputation amongst the members.

I have read (but do not know first hand) that the car can still be driven if needed (while the cluster is being fixed).

Buying a used one or a salvaged part is risky (IMO)....
Old 01-27-17, 04:11 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

Duck05,
The used or salvaged cluster option does concern me too -- very much.
Old 01-27-17, 05:14 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tzxlyd
Returd,
I have been researching the forum and I have run across several threads that may address your question if you have not already found that information. I am attaching the links that I believe may be of help to you. Additionally, from what I can see there is a member O.L.T. who appears to be well versed in the cluster ins and outs -- he can probably help you with your specific question if you send him a private message (PM).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/652074-95-sc300-cluster-in-92-sc400-dead-rpm-need-help.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/334783-gauge-cluster.html
Is
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/109083-manual-cluster-in-an-automatic-sc300.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/475485-cluster-question.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/424164-lextech-s-gauge-cluster-needles-question-on-a-1993-sc400.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/608967-sc300-cluster.html
wow, thanks for all the info.

On the issue of used clusters, I agree it's risky. In my case my driver is a 92 and I have a run ing 93 parts car with working cluster. I'll be keeping the 93 cluster for a spare (with lower mileage on the odo).
Old 01-27-17, 05:23 AM
Returd
Intermediate

I gave those threads a quick read and have a question. Currently my gage is working fine but I do have a flickering needle. How is the needle lit? Is there a bulb to change or is integrated into the needle? I did see mention of swapping needles by just pulling them off.
Old 01-27-17, 05:33 AM
Brennen01
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Returd
I gave those threads a quick read and have a question. Currently my gage is working fine but I do have a flickering needle. How is the needle lit? Is there a bulb to change or is integrated into the needle? I did see mention of swapping needles by just pulling them off.
I know in my 95 and I think it is the same for all years they're LEDs integrated into the needles.
The following users liked this post:
Antss (05-03-23)
Old 07-24-20, 06:43 AM
JabobJeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This video explains the 3 simultaneous symptoms others have had and shows the process of how it’s fixed. Hope this helps everyone who may run into this issue.
3 issues are:

1. 1. speedometer not moving

2. 2. odometer digital display is blank

3. 3. shifting is erratic while trying to accelerate

Quick Reply: Replacing Cluster