Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Steering Banjo Bolt Torque

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-16, 02:30 PM
sparkyguy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering Banjo Bolt Torque

'93 SC400
Replacing P/S Pump. Can anybody advise where I can find the torque for the high pressure line banjo-bolt? As I recall, most of the time the torque on them is quite high during reassembly.

While I'm on the forum, any advise on how to dis-assemble the banjo fitting from the old pump? The 27mm fitting ON the pump came loose first and the entire banjo fitting is frozen to the 22 mm nut. Worse, the 27mmm fitting is too thick to get a 27mm combination wrench on it. All other P/S mounting bolts and drive pulley are already off.
Old 12-05-16, 02:56 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

this goes to Maintenance sub-forum
Old 12-05-16, 06:56 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Sparky:

I dont have the torque number handy. When I did the steering pump I could not get the torque wrench over the banjo bolt .... access problem.

Here is a trick i use ... Apply gentle but continues force by wrench (no jerky motion) till the washer crushes ... you will feel the wrench + bolt head slip. I stop at that time.

Talking about steering pumps ,,, in one of the holes that receives a pipe there is what looks like a flow reducer. Parts blow up shows that part, but the replacement pump did not have one.

Salim
Old 12-05-16, 07:20 PM
sparkyguy
Rookie

Follow up by O/P
(First, sorry for my original mis-posting on the wrong forum).

INFO STILL NEEDED:
I'm still looking for the torque spec on the banjo-bolt on the power steering pump.
Any help on that from a tech with a FSM would still be GREATLY appreciated.

However, I WAS able to eventually get the banjo-bolt connector off of the P/S housing
The 22mm nut on my P/S pump was virtually frozen to the banjo-bolt and the 27mm nut came loose first.
No matter how I rotated things, I didn't have enough room to get an impact wrench on the 22mm while the pump was in the engine compartment.
For anyone else with this problem:
In order to get the pieces separated, I eventually removed the alternator to make room so I could drop the P/S pump assembly all the way to the floor. Once I had the room on the floor, I could hold the 27mm nut (closest to the pump housing) with a combination wrench and then pound on the 22mm nut with my impact wrench (and I DO mean POUND). It still took about 20 seconds for it to break free and my impact wrench is rated 750 ft-lbs. The P/S pump is a DOG to get out of this vehicle.
Old 12-05-16, 07:23 PM
sparkyguy
Rookie

Salim,
Apparently I was posting a follow up about the same time you replied.
Can you clarify what you were describing a bit about the flow reducer?
Is this flow reducer on the reservoir or down on the pump housing?
I don't follow what you mean. On my pump & metal reservoir the low pressure hoses just slide onto the usual metal "barb" with clamps.

Last edited by sparkyguy; 12-05-16 at 07:31 PM.