Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1998 SC400 1UZFE VVTI Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 01:35 PM
1998SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 SC400 1UZFE VVTI Questions

Hi, so I have a 1998 1uzfe vvti sc400 that I got recently, and I have been searching all over for lists of mods and or supercharger kits. If someone could give me some information or enlighten me a little bit on this engine and the pros and cons of supercharging, if anyone has, that would be great. I don't know a whole lot but I have looked all over for compatible supercharger kits and a lot of them seem to be custom. Feel free to reply to the thread or personal message/email me. Thanks!
Old 09-20-16, 03:03 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Try looking at the 2ndGen GS forums, they will have a huge list of mods to do. IMO it's much cheaper to actually turbocharge the 1UZ than supercharge it. Kits for 1UZ are increasing and many custom items are being manufactured, many of the 3UZ things might also fit so you may have to do some mixing and matching.

The VVT-i engine does come with thinner piston rods, which means that it won't be able to take much boost as the non-vvti version can. It's not to say that you can't push the VVT-i engine it's just to say you will reach the limit of reliability quicker. There so much information out here that it's hard to think where to start, but congratulations on your 1998, there are only a few of us VVT-i SC 1UZs.
Old 09-20-16, 06:12 PM
1998SC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DrAtomica
Try looking at the 2ndGen GS forums, they will have a huge list of mods to do. IMO it's much cheaper to actually turbocharge the 1UZ than supercharge it. Kits for 1UZ are increasing and many custom items are being manufactured, many of the 3UZ things might also fit so you may have to do some mixing and matching.

The VVT-i engine does come with thinner piston rods, which means that it won't be able to take much boost as the non-vvti version can. It's not to say that you can't push the VVT-i engine it's just to say you will reach the limit of reliability quicker. There so much information out here that it's hard to think where to start, but congratulations on your 1998, there are only a few of us VVT-i SC 1UZs.
Great information, thanks. I have also considered the turbo option, but like you said reliability goes quick. Would replacing stock Pistons fix this problem with the vvti 1uz? And if you domt mind, would you post a link to a possible turbo kit or anything that is compatible? I do a lot of research but honestly have no idea what will fit because of the lack of people that have done this build. By the way, nice car, I thought you posted a pic of mine for a minute, same color and rims and everything Lol. Thanks In advance for your help.
Old 09-20-16, 06:32 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998SC
By the way, nice car, I thought you posted a pic of mine for a minute, same color and rims and everything Lol. Thanks In advance for your help.
LOL, it's nice to know I have a twin out there.
Old 09-20-16, 06:43 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

You'd probably have to have a pretty deep pocket if you want to stay with the 1UZ VVTi and make a lot of power.

A good place to start (and probably the cheapest) would be a nice exhaust and a BFI I would imagine...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...collector.html

Old 09-20-16, 06:54 PM
1998SC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
You'd probably have to have a pretty deep pocket if you want to stay with the 1UZ VVTi and make a lot of power.

A good place to start (and probably the cheapest) would be a nice exhaust and a BFI I would imagine...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...collector.html
Great info in the link, thanks. Looks like those cars are getting good numbers on NA. When u say high power what're you talking? My goals would be a low boost, somewhat low budget, setup. Hopefully to make 300-400WHP. Do u think that would do too much pocket damage?