Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 W58 swap: bad bearings, issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 04:24 PM
Clear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 W58 swap: bad bearings, issues

Looking for a good w58 from a mkiv supra or sc300, someone sold me one with bad bearings
Old 04-30-16, 05:19 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

If the gears are good why not just replace the bearings?
Old 04-30-16, 05:26 PM
Clear
Driver School Candidate

Is it possible to change the bearings myself? Because the gears are actually perfect, never grind, never pops out of gear etc. Just a loud whine, I've never got a transmission rebuilt, and I'm not sure how much it'd cost to get them replaced, I called Dynosaur Performance out here in Texas to see if they could rebuild it since they specialize in Supra's but they don't rebuild them apparently, I know I can find the rebuild kit for $300, but I'm not sure how much it'd be to rebuild even if I took the transmission out for the shop and plopped it down in-front of them with the rebuild kit in hand. Any advice would be appreciated lol, I wasn't looking forward to dropping money on another w58, just felt like I ran out of options.
Old 04-30-16, 08:41 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Clear, it's a long drive for you (or a lot of shipping and insurance cost) but SpeedForSale in Alpharetta, GA will rebuild W58's. They work on the V160, R154 and W58 for 2JZ/1JZ cars. I used them for my R154 rebuild and have been very happy with their work.

Changing bearings basically means a rebuild of the transmission. I would not recommend you get into that unless you are familiar with how to rebuild a gearbox.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-30-16 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-30-16, 09:40 PM
Clear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Clear, it's a long drive for you (or a lot of shipping and insurance cost) but SpeedForSale in Alpharetta, GA will rebuild W58's. They work on the V160, R154 and W58 for 2JZ/1JZ cars. I used them for my R154 rebuild and have been very happy with their work.

Changing bearings basically means a rebuild of the transmission. I would not recommend you get into that unless you are familiar with how to rebuild a gearbox.

I just looked into it, $650 is labor charges before parts. So with freight, parts, etc, it would add up super quick, not saying it's not a good idea, just that I'm 18 with a part time job to fund my hobby and got royally screwed on this trans that shifts life butter, but whines like a super charger, I might try and see if any local shops in my area will rebuild it for less than an arm and a leg

Give you an idea of the type of whine I'm up against lol
(Yes, that's my 400, and I'm the kid in the Corolla, not the one driving)

Really do appreciate all the input I'm getting though! I'm going to start calling up all the transmission shops in my area to see who can give me the best price. It's either that or admit defeat sell the SC and move on.
Old 05-01-16, 10:24 PM
KahnBB6

Clear, would you like this thread moved to the SC Performance and Maintenance section to see if more people might respond with suggestions? At this point it's more of a diagnosis thread than a WTB thread. You can always create a new WTB thread in addition to this one

That doesn't sound normal for a W58. I had a very, very slight "supercharger" whine when my newly rebuilt R154 was being broken in. It was much more quiet than this and it went away after a while. My 200k mile W58 never sounded like that either.

Even the W58 isn't a completely silent gearbox in perfect shape when you compare it to current era modern manual transmissions (although it is mostly quiet) but this is definitely abnormal.

Here is what I'd suggest:

So long as you have a 92-97 SC300 or MKIV W58 (extension housing or tripod type) with the steel sandwich plate... and it seems that you do... you'll want to buy the kit from Driftmotion called:

"W58/W55 Rebuild kit for Multi Piece Synchro Version"

That's about $440 before shipping for the parts to rebuild the gearbox. See if you can take it to any good and reputable transmission rebuilding shop in your area familiar with the W-Series transmissions. W58, W55 and W56, W57 and W59 truck variants.

The differences are in the syncro design between versions, the ratios and other small tolerance differences internally. Also some of the truck versions have tail housings meant for a transfer case (4WD application) whereas all versions of the W58 and W55 are RWD only.

Generally a good rebuild will cost you around $500 or so in labor not including parts. Yes, SFS isn't on the cheap end of this but their work is top notch and they do a lot of these types of gearboxes.

I completely understand just starting out at 18 and not having mega bucks at your disposal for this. We've all been there.

Second to a rebuild what I'd recommend is, back to your original post, finding another SC300 or MKIV W58 transmission that is in good condition and swapping that in. They aren't growing on trees, I know...

Give your options a shot first, It looks and sounds as if your SC400 is otherwise in good condition. Perhaps that clutch also needs some adjustment though?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-01-16 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 11:18 PM
Clear
Driver School Candidate

Yes, please, move the thread!

-----------------------------------
That doesn't sound normal for a W58. I had a very, very slight "supercharger" whine when my newly rebuilt R154 was being broken in. It was much more quiet than this and it went away after a while. My 200k mile W58 never sounded like that either.

Even the W58 isn't a completely silent gearbox in perfect shape when you compare it to current era modern manual transmissions (although it is mostly quiet) but this is definitely abnormal.
Yea, was super disappointed after completing the swap, this things screams, but shifts fine which is annoying, when I bought the transmission is was dry as a bone and I think it had been sitting like that for a while so that might play a role in why it's abnormally loud

So today I went ahead and pulled the transmission, not because of the noise, but because I had a massive leak coming from where my trans met the adapter plate for the swap, this leak was leaving puddles within 20 minutes or so of parking it, I'm still confident that the transmission needs an overhaul because I'm weary that a simple leak could fix such a loud whine, but let me know if I'm wrong, I'm still learning and really do appreciate any feed back I get from forum members.

So long as you have a 92-97 SC300 or MKIV W58 (extension housing or tripod type) with the steel sandwich plate... and it seems that you do... you'll want to buy the kit from Driftmotion called:

"W58/W55 Rebuild kit for Multi Piece Synchro Version"

That's about $440 before shipping for the parts to rebuild the gearbox. See if you can take it to any good and reputable transmission rebuilding shop in your area familiar with the W-Series transmissions. W58, W55 and W56, W57 and W59 truck variants.
I did find the rebuild kit from drift motion, but isn't this the same thing for less? Unless this is the one for the 4 wheel drive variant in which case, I'll end up with the one from Driftmotion.

http://www.americanpowertrainwarehou...exus-bk162cws/

I have one last place I could turn to for an overhaul, and that's a place here in Dallas called Auto Science, they specialize in Lexus, Toyota, and Subaru, so I'm hoping they will be able to rebuild my transmission within reason.

Second to a rebuild what I'd recommend is, back to your original post, finding another SC300 or MKIV W58 transmission that is in good condition and swapping that in. They aren't growing on trees, I know...
I wish they were as abundant as a KA 240 transmission or something, I think those literally grow on trees, anyways, the only W58 I know of is a 3 hr drive, the guy wants $750 for it and judging by the pictures he sent me it's a Mk3 w58, it doesn't have the tripod extension, which I know wasn't offered in the earlier variants, but I'm not willing to drive there to find out.

Give your options a shot first, It looks and sounds as if your SC400 is otherwise in good condition. Perhaps that clutch also needs some adjustment though?
Thanks for the encouragement, I'm really trying to keep my 400, it's my first real project and I've enjoyed most of it even though its been a headache. I'll be sure to adjust the clutch after Charlie's comments of it being so light "he could press it down with his pinky"
Old 05-02-16, 04:03 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Clear
Yes, please, move the thread!
Done

Yea, was super disappointed after completing the swap, this things screams, but shifts fine which is annoying, when I bought the transmission is was dry as a bone and I think it had been sitting like that for a while so that might play a role in why it's abnormally loud

So today I went ahead and pulled the transmission, not because of the noise, but because I had a massive leak coming from where my trans met the adapter plate for the swap, this leak was leaving puddles within 20 minutes or so of parking it, I'm still confident that the transmission needs an overhaul because I'm weary that a simple leak could fix such a loud whine, but let me know if I'm wrong, I'm still learning and really do appreciate any feed back I get from forum members.
That could be a front bearing plate seal leaking. I am also not personally familiar with how the W58 bolts onto a 1UZ engine... but that sounds like a seal leak. Good that you pulled it.

I did find the rebuild kit from drift motion, but isn't this the same thing for less? Unless this is the one for the 4 wheel drive variant in which case, I'll end up with the one from Driftmotion.

http://www.americanpowertrainwarehou...exus-bk162cws/
That does appear to be a rebuild kit for your transmission. On the page it lists the W58 for the Supra NA 5-speed (W58) 93-97 and the SC300 W58 5-speed from 92-97 so that should be the correct kit, yes. Apparently that kit also just so happens to work for the W59 truck 5-speed which is a close relation.

FYI, there are no upgrade parts available for the W58 transmission, so it is just the rebuild kit.

Well... there actually technically is (VERY expensive upgrade) but it's not something you should look into just to rebuild your W58 back to spec for your SC400.

Stick to the rebuild kit.

I have one last place I could turn to for an overhaul, and that's a place here in Dallas called Auto Science, they specialize in Lexus, Toyota, and Subaru, so I'm hoping they will be able to rebuild my transmission within reason.
That sounds like a good place to try. Don't be surprised if you're quoted somewhere in the $500 labor ballpark give or take. See what they say.

I wish they were as abundant as a KA 240 transmission or something, I think those literally grow on trees, anyways, the only W58 I know of is a 3 hr drive, the guy wants $750 for it and judging by the pictures he sent me it's a Mk3 w58, it doesn't have the tripod extension, which I know wasn't offered in the earlier variants, but I'm not willing to drive there to find out.
If that guy three hours from you is actually selling an MK3 W58 then it's not a $750 transmission by a long shot. You don't want to use one of those even for an SC400 manual conversion.

I've seen a KA transmission tried here in a couple of SC400's but I don't think the result was ideal.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm really trying to keep my 400, it's my first real project and I've enjoyed most of it even though its been a headache. I'll be sure to adjust the clutch after Charlie's comments of it being so light "he could press it down with his pinky"
Sure thing. I do understand, believe me. For the last few months I've been fighting to solve an emissions issue that would have prevented me from being able to register my car. I had to try everything to make it right.

Do the best you can. Don't skimp out on quality parts if you can (the rebuild kit you listed looks like it will be fine) and however the transmission gets rebuilt just make sure someone genuinely knows what they are doing.

It might be good to have the W58 rebuild manual in electronic form also. I will check my files later and see if I have it somewhere. Shouldn't be necessary if the shop is familiar with W58's but it couldn't hurt.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-03-16 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-02-16, 10:39 AM
Clear
Driver School Candidate

That sounds like a good place to try. Don't be surprised if you're quoted somewhere in the $500 labor ballpark give or take. See what they say.
So I contacted Auto Science, and they wanted, wait for it......$1800 in LABOR to do the job, that's after I said I'd supply the rebuild kit and drop the trans off. Yea, uh, no.

Do the best you can. Don't skimp out on quality parts if you can (the rebuild kit you listed looks like it will be fine) and however the transmission gets rebuilt just make sure someone genuinely knows what they are doing.

It might be good to have the W58 rebuild manual in electronic form also. I will check my files later and see if I have it somewhere. Shouldn't be necessary if the shop is familiar with W58's but it couldn't hurt.
I called a local transmission shop with good reviews and asked them how much it'd be if I gave them the kit and trans, he said a very reasonable $500 - $600 in labor, so I'm going to go with him, I'll make sure to give him everything he needs for the rebuild. He also offers warranties so can't go wrong with that I guess. I hope the W58 doesn't have any intricacies that I'm unaware of regarding rebuilding.

FYI, there are no upgrade parts available for the W58 transmission, so it is just the rebuild kit.

Well... there actually technically is (VERY expensive upgrade) but it's not something you should look into just to rebuild your W58 back to spec for your SC400.

Stick to the rebuild kit.
Yea, I'm familiar with the whole cryo treating thing, I'm not pushing anything but stock power and if I do boost it, I'll be sure to be older with a six figure job and a v160 lying around haha

Sure thing. I do understand, believe me. For the last few months I've been fighting to solve an emissions issue that would have prevented me from being able to register my car. I had to try everything to make it right.
4 more years and I'll straight pipe my car

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep this thread updated on what the outcome is.
Old 05-03-16, 08:14 PM
KahnBB6

So I contacted Auto Science, and they wanted, wait for it......$1800 in LABOR to do the job, that's after I said I'd supply the rebuild kit and drop the trans off. Yea, uh, no.
For a W58 or even an R154 rebuild that is very high just for the labor alone. I've only ever heard of race-tolerance R-series or V160 transmission rebuilds directly from Marlin Crawler or Jack's Transmissions costing that much.

I called a local transmission shop with good reviews and asked them how much it'd be if I gave them the kit and trans, he said a very reasonable $500 - $600 in labor, so I'm going to go with him, I'll make sure to give him everything he needs for the rebuild. He also offers warranties so can't go wrong with that I guess. I hope the W58 doesn't have any intricacies that I'm unaware of regarding rebuilding.
That is more reasonable and on the average just for labor. I think that's a good choice. And their warranty is good. There are no special intricacies that I am aware of with the W-series internals. The SC300 and MKIV versions have the newest syncro design and a syncro on reverse.

As before, there are no special upgrade parts for W58's. They are similar internally to RWD W-series truck 5-speed boxes but differ in gear ratios, tolerances and the syncro designs.

Yea, I'm familiar with the whole cryo treating thing, I'm not pushing anything but stock power and if I do boost it, I'll be sure to be older with a six figure job and a v160 lying around haha.
Oh there is cryo treating too. I was thinking of the $5k+ W58 race gearsets from PGS for competition cars. An alternative stronger transmission still makes more sense for high horsepower applications.

The way V160 prices are going now since they've been formally discontinued there are other alternative transmissions to choose from if you get power hungry

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep this thread updated on what the outcome is.
Good luck! Hopefully the rebuild will set your car right and you can work on fine tuning and enjoying it. It sounds as if it's otherwise in good shape.
Old 05-18-16, 07:19 AM
Clear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
For a W58 or even an R154 rebuild that is very high just for the labor alone. I've only ever heard of race-tolerance R-series or V160 transmission rebuilds directly from Marlin Crawler or Jack's Transmissions costing that much.

That is more reasonable and on the average just for labor. I think that's a good choice. And their warranty is good. There are no special intricacies that I am aware of with the W-series internals. The SC300 and MKIV versions have the newest syncro design and a syncro on reverse.

As before, there are no special upgrade parts for W58's. They are similar internally to RWD W-series truck 5-speed boxes but differ in gear ratios, tolerances and the syncro designs.

Oh there is cryo treating too. I was thinking of the $5k+ W58 race gearsets from PGS for competition cars. An alternative stronger transmission still makes more sense for high horsepower applications.

The way V160 prices are going now since they've been formally discontinued there are other alternative transmissions to choose from if you get power hungry

Good luck! Hopefully the rebuild will set your car right and you can work on fine tuning and enjoying it. It sounds as if it's otherwise in good shape.
Well, I got the transmission back from the shop, it did have a bad bearing, but, I finished installing it last night and took it for a drive, and got the exact same whine. I'm at a loss. I'm not sure about anything anymore. It doesn't make sense. It's the exact same issue, whine 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th no whine 4th.

One question I do have is, how far forward did I needed to cut my transmission tunnel? I only cut it enough so that the shifter would fit. Could that have anything to do with it?

But, at this point I'm thinking of just cutting my losses and either selling or trading the car, this swap is absolutely cursed.

There's no leaks this time, but one thing I noticed is that the power steering fluid is low, but that wouldn't explain a whine in all gears but 4th, could it be differential related?