Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MKIII W58 Swap in SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 08:41 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MKIII W58 Swap in SC400?

Hey guys..

I found a great deal locally on someone selling a 65,000 mile W58 transmission out of an '88 Supra. Will this work for a swap in my SC400?

From what I've searched is the shifter isn't the same length and will need some extension, but is this really all that hard to do? I could be scoring this transmission itself for $50!

Last edited by DONT SLEEP; 07-06-10 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-06-10, 10:16 AM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a look at some of the W58 swap threads on here. An hour or so of reading should help. I found it not very difficult using the info on this site.
Old 07-06-10, 10:30 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mtnrat
Have a look at some of the W58 swap threads on here. An hour or so of reading should help. I found it not very difficult using the info on this site.
Yeah I've been reading around a little bit... I'm also trying to see what other stuff I'd need and how much it would cost altogether.
Old 07-06-10, 11:07 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't mess with MK3 W58, get the MK4 or 95+SC.
GL
Old 07-06-10, 12:50 PM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Don't mess with MK3 W58, get the MK4 or 95+SC.
GL
Alright, that's all I needed to know.. haha.. Thanks!

After doing more and more research it does look like it's going to be a lot of work.
Old 07-07-10, 05:20 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it with no problems if you have welder. If neither you nor a friend have welding access, you could get the necessary welds done for very cheap. For the transmission mount you can combine the top plate of the mkiii mount with the SC's auto mount which took all of 15 minutes with an angle grinder, drill, thick bolt and welder. The shifter will honestly work with no modification other than removing the little plastic crossbar of the center console trim that sits directly in front of the ashtray (If the shifter bushings are all replaced to get rid of excessive slop--> google "billym shiftgasm"). It will just sit to the left because of the bend in the lever. The cut and weld is pretty simple though. Other than those two mods there is nothing different...except hundreds of dollars and availability.
Old 07-08-10, 09:46 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

which flywheel? driveshaft ? clutch and pp assembly? how about bellhousing?

I have a welder, if you tell me more maybe i'l go that route.
Old 07-08-10, 05:52 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
which flywheel? driveshaft ? clutch and pp assembly? how about bellhousing?

I have a welder, if you tell me more maybe i'l go that route.
It is exactly the same as using an sc300/mkiv w58 besides the two things I mentioned. I used the quantum auto 1uz flywheel, the 1uz bellhousing with the quantum auto adapter plate, a mkiii non-turbo supra clutch kit, and a manual sc300 driveshaft.

This is my thread for the swap.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t=w58+swappage
Old 07-08-10, 10:02 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

OMG $1850 Thats cheaper than sc300 w58?
Old 07-09-10, 07:51 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
I did it with no problems if you have welder. If neither you nor a friend have welding access, you could get the necessary welds done for very cheap. For the transmission mount you can combine the top plate of the mkiii mount with the SC's auto mount which took all of 15 minutes with an angle grinder, drill, thick bolt and welder. The shifter will honestly work with no modification other than removing the little plastic crossbar of the center console trim that sits directly in front of the ashtray (If the shifter bushings are all replaced to get rid of excessive slop--> google "billym shiftgasm"). It will just sit to the left because of the bend in the lever. The cut and weld is pretty simple though. Other than those two mods there is nothing different...except hundreds of dollars and availability.

This is excellent information. So you're saying that if i just cut that center piece in the console it would be fine and a normal swap? I'd just need to get the transmission and that kit from quantum auto and I'm good to go?
Old 07-09-10, 03:10 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
OMG $1850 Thats cheaper than sc300 w58?
Umm...I don't think you're understanding the whole swap correctly. You can't just take an SC300 W58 and slap it onto an SC400. You STILL need all of the parts listed regardless of which w58 you use. MKIII W58s are much cheaper (I am talking about the transmission itself to be clear), and are very easy to find whereas the SC W58 is not. In other words, you could find many MKIII W58s immediately for under $100-$200 or you can search forever and not find an SC W58 being sold for under $500. Maybe if you read the whole cost list you will see that I only spent $200 on the transmission itself.
Old 07-09-10, 03:17 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DONT SLEEP
This is excellent information. So you're saying that if i just cut that center piece in the console it would be fine and a normal swap? I'd just need to get the transmission and that kit from quantum auto and I'm good to go?
The shifter wouldn't be centered, but if you have the shifter bushings that I linked you to (or miraculously your transmission comes with perfect ones-->never) then yes it will work but look weird being off-centered in the trim. But... why not just get it welded? It would only take a few minutes. I eyeballed it and it turned out great.
Old 07-09-10, 09:40 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Umm...I don't think you're understanding the whole swap correctly. You can't just take an SC300 W58 and slap it onto an SC400. You STILL need all of the parts listed regardless of which w58 you use. MKIII W58s are much cheaper (I am talking about the transmission itself to be clear), and are very easy to find whereas the SC W58 is not. In other words, you could find many MKIII W58s immediately for under $100-$200 or you can search forever and not find an SC W58 being sold for under $500. Maybe if you read the whole cost list you will see that I only spent $200 on the transmission itself.
Oh i see, well i have an sc300, why didnt i catch on to that
Old 07-10-10, 07:11 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

The shifter wouldn't be centered, but if you have the shifter bushings that I linked you to (or miraculously your transmission comes with perfect ones-->never) then yes it will work but look weird being off-centered in the trim. But... why not just get it welded? It would only take a few minutes. I eyeballed it and it turned out great.
Damn, someone bought that transmission! Agh.. that's what I get for posting this information on craigslist.. another fellow Maryland ClubLexus member probably jumped on it!