Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power steering assist delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-15, 06:16 AM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering assist delete

Dude I do this right?

I plugged a fitting into the spot and capped the vacuum port but I'm wondering what I do with the other rubber hose
Old 12-23-15, 03:40 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

I am not following what you did, but it's been a month since I deleted my power steering so I can't recall exactly how it was. I tried it by totally deleting the a/c and power steering but this beast is too much to fight with manual steering so I am going to put it back. I had planned to just connect the 2 vacuum hoses since one goes to the the timing belt area under the cams and the other goes to the intake manifold, or at least that is the way I remembered it. Is there a 3rd line?
Old 12-28-15, 06:09 PM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One vacuum line goes from intake manifold to the pressure house banjo bolt. the other goes into the timing cover. I was unsure if the way I deleted it was proper. It must seem so since at first it leaked but then after some teflon tape the leak stopped and the car feels more responsive with out the steering assist feature. I think I did this right.
Old 12-30-15, 12:17 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts
Default I thought I read on one of the threads

Originally Posted by LEXOWINO
One vacuum line goes from intake manifold to the pressure house banjo bolt. the other goes into the timing cover. I was unsure if the way I deleted it was proper. It must seem so since at first it leaked but then after some teflon tape the leak stopped and the car feels more responsive with out the steering assist feature. I think I did this right.
That you had to leave the vacuum valve in and block one of the ports or it will run at full pump power. Have you seen any issues with boiling out/blowing out fluid yet? I haven't dug all of my power steering stuff out of storage yet, I had attempted to run without power steering but that is just not going to work for endurance racing. I hope to get it out this weekend and put it back on, maybe I will know more after that.