Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

harmonic balancer pulley problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-15, 02:29 PM
yihaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default harmonic balancer pulley problems

OK so I started working on my car after my motorcycle got stolen on 8-10-15. The water pump blew when I noticed the temp gauge go to hot twice and stay in hot range for about 2 mins and water/coolant was leaking out the bottom pipe on the water pump. So I was going to replace the items with new parts. Asisn water pump w/ gasket, oem water pump o-ring , eom thermostat, oem front crankshaft seal, and new gate racing timing belt the blue one.

Tore all the things I needed to gain access to the water pump/harmonic balancer. Watched plenty of water pump diy on youtube, I noticed the is300 videos were the best with Jeffs garage.

Now I'am stuck at the Harmonic balancer removal. I removed the timing belt tensioner after I got the engine to TDC. Was lucky enough to have a good friend used to work for nissan for 5 years with snap on air tools. Used the 1/2 inch impact gun to zip off the 22mm bolt holding the pulley on. Everyone has problems with this bolt but i seem to be having all my problems removing the harmonic balancer pulley. I rented a harmonic balancer tool, use it but everytime it was tight enough to start pulling the pulley off the motor turned over and having the tensioner off this worried me. Tried another 7 ton reversible pulley remover and all that did was break off a tiny section of the pulley itself. I tried the pry bar method too with a snap on 2 foot bar and nothing and I dont want to break any more pieces. I'am at the point now of putting the Harmonic balancer pulley remover kit back on and putting a bigger allen in the teeth of the flexplate/torque converter to prevent motor from cranking but now I'am at the point where i dont was to ruin any teeth on the flywheel/flexplate. Also sprayed Pb blaster on the area where it seems to be stuck on the crankshaft and tapped around to try to knock it loose.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, been working on my car for little over 5 days 4 days on this pulley. I would rather take my time and not mess anything up but now that this is my only form of transportation I would like it fixed before this weekend is over. Barrowing my Dad's truck, Brothers car, and neighbors truck to get to work is not going to fly for long.
Old 08-15-15, 04:39 PM
yihaw
Rookie

update i just removed both radiators and had enough room for my 1/2inch impact gun to turn the 19mm bolt/nut for the harmonic balancer pulley removal tool and broke another bolt that went into the pulley's two holes. thats 3 bolts broken in those holes, I dont think anythings going to work now please help thanks.
Old 08-15-15, 07:53 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

may i know what harmonic balancer do you have on that engine ? is it an aftermarket one ? stock are so easy to pull out. Only some aftermarket are hard to take out at times and needs heating it up.

What I don't understand is if you are just pulling the pulley out, that crank of the motor should not even be rotating. The pulling out is perpendicular to rotating motion . What pulley puller are you using ?

Last edited by gerrb; 08-16-15 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-16-15, 07:42 AM
yihaw
Rookie

i have used two pullers one is the one that look the one 90% of the videos use. it uses two bolts to hold onto the crank and the bigger bolt goes directly in the center of the tool and is supposed to push the tool straight out. but when you get the tool to pull out you are supposed to tighen the 19mm on the tool and that is making my motor turn over. the other tool has hooks that directly go on the pulley but that broke a little piece off the pulley so iam not using that anymore. It looks like a oem pulley too.

i posted this on supraforums too and the super moderator closed my thread i dont know whats up his ***, isnt the whole purpose of these threads/forums to help people?
Old 08-16-15, 07:54 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

can you post on this thread a picture of the tool you are using ? I have the feeling that the 19mm bolt that you tighten up to pull out the pulley DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT END (conical shape) so it latches into the pulley and makes the pulley turn together with the crank of the motor while you tighten that 19mm bolt. That pulley / crank should NOT turn at all while it is being pulled out.

btw, a lot of reasons why a mod will delete a thread, e.g. duplicate thread of yours, a similar thread exists, etc. . They don't delete for no reason at all.
Old 08-16-15, 07:56 AM
yihaw
Rookie

thats the type of tool and i have a conical cone on the end of it.
Old 08-16-15, 08:05 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

ok.. you got the right tool.. the conical end should only be sitting at the end of the crankshaft hole so much so while you turn that 19mm bolt it is actually rotating on that crankshaft hole so the pulley / crankshaft doesn't rotate. Is the conical end big enough to sit on that crankshaft hole ?

what dampener do you have ? picture ?
Old 08-16-15, 08:19 AM
yihaw
Rookie

i will take a picture of all what you asked in 30 mins but to my knowledge the dampener is stock it looks like the others on the youtube videos
Old 08-16-15, 08:35 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

The trick is that the 19mm bolt you are tightening should not latch into the crankshaft or pulley so when you turn to tighten it, it doesn't turn the crankshaft or pulley with it or just like you said, those two bolts of the puller will break. So check how that 19mm end part (conical or flat inverted conical) is positioned on the end of the crankshaft.

Truly , the 22mm crankshaft bolt is usually the hard part to take out, the pulley with the RIGHT TOOL should not be hard at all especially a stock dampener. I have heard of some aftermarket pulleys needed to be heated so they can easily be taken out but not stock pulleys.
Old 08-16-15, 08:44 AM
yihaw
Rookie

Name:  jfjh%20141_zpsqiu43x4t.jpg
Views: 2200
Size:  198.5 KB
Name:  jfjh%20139_zpsfmae1qdc.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  207.2 KB
Name:  jfjh%20138_zpsg00bi6gs.jpg
Views: 3042
Size:  247.5 KB
Old 08-16-15, 09:07 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

You definitely have the right tool. I usually put a 1/2" drive socket that can rest on the crank shaft, and then I thread the tool into the square end of the socket, so when I rotate the puller it pulls the harmonic balancer over the socket.
Old 08-16-15, 09:07 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

It is a stock dampener. Should not be hard to pull out.

The conical end looks like as big as the hole of the crankshaft only so it latches into the crankshaft and turn the crankshaft with it.

get a big flat round metal like a washer bigger than the crankshaft hole where the pointed end of the conical shape end can rest and rotate so it doesn't pin down the crankshaft and make it turn too.
Old 08-16-15, 09:09 AM
yihaw
Rookie

thanks guys i will try the 1/2inch socket to rest on the shaft and the washer method
Old 08-16-15, 03:17 PM
yihaw
Rookie

i got to the point where i was using the tool without breaking bolts i broke my 4th bolt today. i used some bolts from work.now i am using my 1/2inch impact gun and nothings happening and i dont want to sit there and be on the trigger the whole time b,c i know a bolt will snap. i used it on for a good 4-5 secs tho and nothing.the motor rotated about 5 degrees but thats all. realy thinking about heating it up and removing it and replacing it with a new one. any suggestion, am i missing something?
Old 08-16-15, 05:16 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

I would take a rubber mallet and tap the harmonic balancer all around to make sure its seated evenly. It's possible that when you were pulling and snapped a bolt the harmonic balancer is slightly uneven making it harder to pull.

On my car there was a small rust spot on the crank that made it really hard to pull the harmonic balancer and crank pulley off, but I've never snapped a bolt before trying to pull it. I've always used the tool with a ratchet turning it by hand.

Quick Reply: harmonic balancer pulley problems